Ryzen 5 upgrade?... is it?

Is this worth doing? Will I see any real world performance improvement?
Main use is playing games, creating crafting stuff – photos, vinyl cutting, photoshop, general computing stuff …. vm’s etc. Help daughter record choir solo's. Maybe make it a dual boot linux/win10
Im seriously considering buying a 50" 4k tv to use as another display.

It looks like I can do this for right around $500

Suggestions?
or should i just be happy with my current setup and save for a VEGA/Ryzen7 system upgrade?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (overclocking it ) $230 ish

Motherboard: ASRock X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard $150 ish

Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $135 ish

Parts on hand
2 ea – Samsung SSD 256GB 850 Pro ( I got stuck with these after a “friend” backed out of a build he wanted me to do .)

case – DIY-BG01 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353121 - Actually a very nice case on the cheap

I know I have a 650w power supply at home , just cant rmember what it is.

Then I would move video cards around for the other systems. maybe could move other parts too.
I would put the 2 RX480’s in the Ryzen build, Transfer the R9-290 to the Xeon build, Put my old GTX-650 Ti in the 8300 build.

I would then make the 8300 into a home server by adding a couple of large mech spinner drives.
The xeon system would then go to work with me to do bland work stuff.

Work pc
CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core OEM

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory: Mushkin ECO2 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Home pc – my gamer
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 13 36.4 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: PNY CS1311 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB XXX OC Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB XXX OC Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)

Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Raidmax 735W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Definitely worth the upgrade now but would be even better if you saved the not quite $100 more to get a 1700. Because the extra cores are useful.

Gaming wise you'll probably see a fair improvement over the Xeon, as it has lower clock than a similar i7 so. The ryzen chip will be faster.

3 Likes

The Ryzen 1600X will definitelly be an improvement over your current FX8300.
The single core performance, but also the multi threaded performance is allot better.
Part choice for the Ryzen build look fine to me.
I would say trow those RX480´s in the new Ryzen build.

The 1600X is very compairable to the 6800K X99 cpu.
The FX cpu´s arent even close in the vast majority of workloads.

2 Likes

Sounds like a solid plan.

For the record, Crossfire is supported on B350 motherboards as well (can save a bit of money there) but SLI requires X370. Basically, if you plan to stay team red, or only want a single green team card, you'll be good cutting some cost and going B350. This will get you a bit closer to a 1700 (which I highly recommend you spring for if you can).

That said, you're going to be happy with whatever you choose to go for.

EDIT: Have a look at this review: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/msi-b350-tomahawk-review-linux-test-level-one-techs/115024

I'd say Pascal or Vega if your more serious about GPU performance, I am underwhelmed AMD is still holding Vega and re-releasing Polaris in the RX 580/570

Is that what's happening? I've been a bit out of the loop. Last I heard was that the 580 looked a lot like the 480 with some extra speed.

Higher clockspeeds and that's about it. In real performance you are winning 1 to 3 fps in some games, I don't think is worth it, hunt down a 480 if you can, now with the 580 in the market prices will go down.

If I can pick up a 480 8GB for 180, I'll probably pull the trigger. I'm just a bit frustrated that AMD hasn't been able to break the "fury x" power boundary. I really need a more powerful GPU to play Andromeda. I'm stuck with 1080p high on my 4k monitor because the Fury is too slow.

1 Like

For the time being I'd love to be stuck in 1080/1440p in some games. 4K at my non existent income is unreachable.

Did they fixed the face animation things already?

I'm going to get a 1400 with and an 560 or 550 and if my meager budget allows a 4gb 480

patch 1.05 came out recently and it fixed the tired face, dead eyes and some of the major bugs. I never noticed face animation issues, so I can't comment on them.

I chose to let my car maintenance slip to buy a 4k monitor. Not sure if worth it.

If you want help, post your budget, parts list and use case in a new thread and mention me, I'd be happy to help, but this thread is starting to get a bit off topic.

1 Like

If you are happy it's worth it! I'm a more pragmatic guy, and 4K is a bit expensive at the moment for me (and for a lot of people), once it gets settled down as a solid option over... 8K and beyond? I'd make the jump.

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely get that. It was more of a decision for development purposes than gaming. I wanted to be able to display more text on screen at once and rather than get 4x1080p, I decided to go with 1x2160p. Just happened to be okay for gaming as well.

1 Like

Oh, I thought you had 4K just for the gaming aspect. Productivity on a 4K monitor has to be a breeze.

1 Like

It is. It's the A409U, 4k 40in. Perfect device if you've got the desk space. That said, I wish they had 4:3 in this resolution. :confused:

nods noddles