Ryzen 5 3600x AIO watercooler vs. air cooler test

No don’t worry about the clock for now. Because it’s ASrock you should play around with the LLC a bit. Level 3 and 4 will have different droops.

Which ASRock motherboard again, sorry I have not had my coffee. We could play around with the VRM response time if you have cooling headroom and are down to do so

1 Like

Its the Fatal1ty X370 Professional gaming, which is the same as the X370 Taichi.

Oh you have solid af fricken VRMs don’t be afraid to push them.

I would say just go with the settings we spoke of and try both methods both fixed and offset. :wink:

1 Like

Fortunately yes, its a great mobo!
I’m not a home right now to test it, but i should be able to in the afternoon.

@PhaseLockedLoop i never actually knew what was the function of the LLC, i always left it on auto even when i had the 1700 at 3.8ghz.
What effect does it have, in general?

Funny you should ask ^ it affects the voltage drop or spikes during load to compensate for the power requirement of the CPU. Because a CPU is a complex load (capacitive and inductive in some cases) the voltage will change when pulling more current during load. This is because inherently more transistors are running and each has their own electrical properties. Without getting into the complexities the thing you need to know is switching them on and off and a power intensive task. The power needs to be clean and steady for proper function.

1 Like

Did you ever test it with the stock cooler to establish a baseline?

2 Likes

Typing that out yesterday i came to the realization that, in fact, i did not set a baseline with the stock cooler.
I’ll do that today as well.

1 Like

I think that, by default, i saw the mobo auto set it level 5 or level 3, i’ll have to check.
I remember Bryan from Tech YES City mentioning using Level 2 for OC on the first gen Ryzens.

Level 3 is by far more Consistent when manually setting voltages

1 Like

@anon85933304 Got the stock cooler baseline.
After 5 minutes of idle:

After a run of Cinebench, notice the lower boost clock in comparison with the other coolers:

@PhaseLockedLoop i’ll try undervolting it now, with the stock cooler.
LLC was auto set to level 5 on the bios, now i set it to level 3.
2 Likes

Better. You’ll pull less current and have more consistency. See the problem with less voltage and transistors is that the current really has to increase to satisfy load and demand. There are many engineering issues with this but that’s what the VRM is designed to mitigate. A CPU is quite the load and people don’t realize that lol

1 Like

I tried setting the Vcore to a fixed 1.325v value and the SOC Voltage to a 1.225v value, but it doesn’t seem to be accepting those values, i saw 1.45v spikes on idle with HWiNFO64 just now.

Try up to a Max of 1.375 on vcore and a Max of 1.25 SOC

1 Like

Its still spiking.

Unfortunately I don’t really have an answer for you. You can try LLC level 4 maybe try setting it via offsets instead of manual. Up the current limit. Play around with the response time. I don’t really have a definitive answer unfortunately

1 Like

I’ll play around with it and see what i can find, perhaps the next BIOS update will fix these issues.

Contact them. Say you would be interested in a prerelease bios but know the risks

1 Like

Great idea, i’ll mail them now!

thats a bit high isn´t it?

I would recommend set it fixed to 1.10V. SOC. (i wouldn´t go over 1.2V)
But 1.1V for SOC should be fine SOC LLC level 3.
Vcore fixed 1.35V then.
CPU LLC level 3.

1 Like