Ryzen 5 3600x AIO watercooler vs. air cooler test

@anon85933304 Got the stock cooler baseline.
After 5 minutes of idle:

After a run of Cinebench, notice the lower boost clock in comparison with the other coolers:

@PhaseLockedLoop i’ll try undervolting it now, with the stock cooler.
LLC was auto set to level 5 on the bios, now i set it to level 3.
2 Likes

Better. You’ll pull less current and have more consistency. See the problem with less voltage and transistors is that the current really has to increase to satisfy load and demand. There are many engineering issues with this but that’s what the VRM is designed to mitigate. A CPU is quite the load and people don’t realize that lol

1 Like

I tried setting the Vcore to a fixed 1.325v value and the SOC Voltage to a 1.225v value, but it doesn’t seem to be accepting those values, i saw 1.45v spikes on idle with HWiNFO64 just now.

Try up to a Max of 1.375 on vcore and a Max of 1.25 SOC

1 Like

Its still spiking.

Unfortunately I don’t really have an answer for you. You can try LLC level 4 maybe try setting it via offsets instead of manual. Up the current limit. Play around with the response time. I don’t really have a definitive answer unfortunately

1 Like

I’ll play around with it and see what i can find, perhaps the next BIOS update will fix these issues.

Contact them. Say you would be interested in a prerelease bios but know the risks

1 Like

Great idea, i’ll mail them now!

thats a bit high isn´t it?

I would recommend set it fixed to 1.10V. SOC. (i wouldn´t go over 1.2V)
But 1.1V for SOC should be fine SOC LLC level 3.
Vcore fixed 1.35V then.
CPU LLC level 3.

1 Like

There is no issue.

There seems to be a lot of confusion in this thread both about Ryzen 3000 and coolers generally.

The voltages you’re seeing are completely normal.

Not sure what you were expecting with air vs water. The cooler performance you’re seeing is entirely normal. Big air coolers and 280mm liquid coolers perform about the same. That is what you saw. My 3900X on a steady load will hit around 65-70C. I have a Kraken X62 which is a slightly better cooler than you used. It is also a lot cooler than 28C thanks to the magic of AC it is about 19C here and my case has better airflow… All falls right in line

As for your temperatures- You have no reason to be concerned. This behavior is entirely normal for Ryzen.

It all comes down to 7nm and heat density. Ryzen’s 7nm chiplets are very small. They produce a lot of heat. The lack of surface area means it is difficult for heat to transfer quickly to the IHS and your cooler. It is the nature of the design of the chiplets and the small manufacturing process. Your 1700 produced similar levels of heat over an area of 213mm. The 3600 does that in an area of about 74mm per chiplet. ~148mm total for the two plus heat from the IO die. Not to mention the dies are off set whereas most coolers focus on central cooling.

Just the nature of the beast. Ryzen runs hot.

As for spikes, Ryzen 3000 has a very aggressive boost algorithm and all the kinks aren’t entirely worked out yet. Even minimal activity will cause boosting and therefore heat. 15+ degree spikes are entirely expected. 1.45ish+ VCORE is entirely normal for short bursts on single core workloads (low temps and low amps). It is entirely safe. AMD has stated this themselves. ~1.35 is about max for all core loads.

You are on an old AGESA version as well. Your BIOS is pretty old by now. AMD has released updates that have smoothed boosting behavior and pushed clocks a bit while controlling voltage a bit better. So you may see less spikes if AsRock ever decides to update your board.

95C is TJMax. If you’re not throttling you’re absolutely fine.

Also under volting can cause clock stretching and loss of performance even though the system seems stable and is still reporting normal clocks. Stop messing with it. You’re likely just hurting performance.

4 Likes

You lose all single core boost setting vcore that low.

1 Like

This.

Even if Windows is reporting normal boosting behavior performance will be worse.

GN detailed it here

This may interest you too

Also this was talked about extensively when Ryzen launched

2 Likes

Glad to hear, i was trying to cross reference my temps with other users of the 3600x/3600 around the forums (this one, LTT’s and local FB Ryzen discussion groups), my temps, clocks and voltages seem to be either on par, slightly better or slightly worse depending on which cooling solution they’re using.
One thing that maybe nobody paid attention or just forgot to mention is how erratic the fan curve can be outside of full speed on these motherboards, the fan speed spikes just as much as the temperature, it wasn’t noticeable with the Ninja 5 and the Asetek 280 (because i was using both at full speed) but its maddening with the stock cooler.

ASRock is definitely priorizing their X570 line, both the Aqua X570 and Taichi X570 already received the AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3 ABBA update a few months ago, but the X470 Taichi, X370 Taichi and X370 Professional are still on AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3 ABB.
Hope they figured out their BIOS updates soon, usually my board receives updates on par with the X370 Taichi.

Will do, i’ll just wait for the updates on forget about the temps for a little while, i was thinking about upgrading my motherboard but that doesn’t seem worth it at all.
I’m not necessarily throttling either, the system lowers the boost clock whenever it goes past 75ºc

1 Like

It’s been since JULY!!! Amd has explaind time and time again working voltage for Ryzen 2 is 0.2-1.5V and the CPU fit tables make sure the CPU asks (vid) for the voltage it needs to boost if left at auto.

Now some boards feed to much voltage, especially early/launch bios but this was not the 1.5V spikes at low load.
It was about seeing higher than 1.3-1.4 at sustains high load all core.

It’s a new arch not just a die shrink. It doesn’t boost like older CPUS and the temp sensors and readings are not the same.
And you defiantly can not compare with voltage and temps on Intel.

DO NOT SET A FIXED VCORE UNLESS YOU DO MANUAL OC!

As for irritating fan ramping with some mb bios. Just observe idle temp fluctuations and set a flat “silent” fan curve just above these temp spikes and then ramp it up to max fan speed at 80C or so. And set fan ramp speed to low.

I have a lapped 3800x with a big custom loop an kryonaut paste. Idle is 33-40 with spikes to 50-60. These are usually so short with the reading jumping from sensor to sensor faster than any fan can adjust.
Games run 55-65C and cinebench 65-72C.
Prime95, Aida stress and occd runs at 73-83C.

You are not going to see low stable temps because ryzen will use the thermal headroom to boost higher clock speeds.

3 Likes

I suppose that’s actually a good thing. Going from old school to new school can be quite the scare. I know I always freaked out at high voltage spikes but heck if it’s normal then I will go based on yours and @DerKrieger 's word from here on out when threads ask

Yep, pretty much the same temps as me then.

Ahh then seriously nothing to worry about then. I realize now I read your post wrong.

I thought you stated sustained 1.5 volt jumps

Max voltage on full load is around 1.36, 1.37.
Max spikes are 1.45v on idle, when the CPU is at around 45°c

I’m gonna benchmark this as the new relative normal.

Duly noted. This thread was educational for all of us. Especially for us who have professional careers and aren’t capable of following tech as closely anymore :wink:

3 Likes