6 boots in a row I'm getting this

A 1700X might need a little bit more Vcore.
But it’s worth a try, otherwise something around the 1.36V ish,
then LLC level 2.

I don’t know what that is and where to look for it…

Load line calibration.

I’m kinda currious what your cpu would pull at stock stress testing.,
with everything on just auto setting.
I i think it should sit around the 1.42V ish mark normally for a 1700X

@PhaseLockedLoop what do you think for a 1700X on a Asrock board?

But that is something to try out, when Vcore isn’t adequate enough,
the system should basically just freeze / crash at stress testing.

1 Like

Mmm if he’s already at about 1.38 volts he shouldn’t push clocks past that. It’s just not going to do so in a stable Manor. That said he can try level 4. I like level 3 because it’s flat and does not veer from my voltage settings. This is helpful because you know how far to push it.

Bumping the response to 500 khz is pretty sufficient to avoid stutters and micro droops.

Here’s what he can do. He can manually OC by starting at stock and using the offset. Undervolt as much as possible. When stable undervolt at stock is found. Bump it up 2 ticks. Then start there moving the clock and voltages. This will let him find the minimum. There is no set and forget voltage. Every VRM and CPU combo differs in performance

2 Likes

Yeah i know, dialing in manually numbers can be a hit or miss.
I don’t really know how his particular boards vrm is going to behave.
Maybe starting with offset might be a bit of a safer way to go.
However manually dialing in numbers could also be safely when stick around 1.36V / 1.38V max.
Then LLC 2 or 3, in a worst case scenario the system would freeze during stress testing.
It shouldn’t blow up theoretically :smiley:
But you will loose single core boost this way.

But yeah it obvious that he does seem to have some sort of an instability issue.
Asrock didn’t found anything wrong with his particular board,
but yeah idk what they did actually test, and what kind of cpu they used etc.
So yeah taking their word is still not really worth much.

The only issue i have with AMD right now, is that novice people,
should not have to deal with this kind of crap.
It technically should just work fine out of the box.
It’s a bit disappointing to see that we are 3 generations of cpu’s and chipsets,
further it still does seem to be a bit flaky.

2 Likes

See the thing is a ton of people don’t understand LLC

Rule of thumb is

Levels:
1: voltage will spike
2: voltage will be slightly above
3: minimal Change in voltage
4: voltage will be slightly below
5: voltage will droop

Anything in between each level is a thing to on some boards with 8 levels of calibration.

Here’s the thing novices should not be concerned with overclocking in general. If you don’t OC and leave it at stock and don’t play with it. Even if temps are high it’s still going to be fast and they are unlikely to notice issues day to day.

I also don’t fault AMD. They set the specs. Board manufacturers need to meet them. It’s on the mobo folk

2 Likes

The real funny part is, it fixed itself last time around. Now it’s happening again…

Question: is there a possibility the system have something like a cold bug and whenever it’s really cold outside the system have issues booting until it heats up a bit? Last time it was during winter the entire thing and this time it happened when the temperature neared 0C…
I know, it sounds stupid, but is this an option?

1 Like

Yup :+1:

1 Like

I personally never have experienced something like that.
Because where i life it’s generally not getting that crazy cold, -10 is kinda exceptional.
And i’m assuming that that your ambient temp during winters sits about 21C?
It would sound a bit unlikely to me, unless you a serious moisture problem in your said room?

1 Like

Mmmm it’s highly unlikely. The cold bug doesn’t exist anymore really.

Lol -10C … that’s pretty damn balmy compared to the mountainous Western US… it was -18C the other week on all hallows Eve.

1 Like

You assume wrong. My ambient temperature when I’m out is the same as the outside, because nothing is heating the room up.
When I get home after work I turn the PC on, the heater on and then it gets warmer. In general I live in very cold environment during the winter.

I just got home and this time it froze up on the windows screen…

God damn it stupid computer, what do you want from me?
Second boot and I’m in…

I missed the past something odd posts. But have you done a fresh install of Windows? Did you ever tie it down to a motherboard problem? If so maybe a reflash of the BIOS. Is there a new BIOS version?

2 Likes

No.

No, but that or the CPU is my best guess…

I dare not… If this thing freezes during before or after a flash of BIOS I am out of motherboards.

1 Like

That is true. What was I thinking?

2 Likes

Unicorns, rainbows, fluffy puppies, big round eyes, happiness, joy…

1 Like

bump the voltage to your ram.

1.375v

1 Like

It’s 1,2 for 4x4GB 2666…

go for 1.35 then

1 Like

I may as well do that… Mkay, the next test is tomorrow…

1 Like