Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

So, der8auer’s rant was probably pointless or … worked, depending how you want to see it.

Good. :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah there are a few issues. The boosting behavior is one.

The other is stock voltages. If you’ve read a few reviews you’ll see power consumption numbers are all over the place. Some have numbers lower than the 9th gen Intel stuff as expected while others show significantly higher power consumption.

Appears some boards are applying too much voltage just like happened with x299 for a while there at launch

1 Like

Random thought: Polaris is getting really old, right? So, there must be a $200,- ish card in the works to take that place. Is it reasonable to think that that card might do all the media encoding stuff as well as the 5700 series?

I would hope so. There’s not really anything filling that market right now. Everyone in that range is buying used 1070s.

1 Like

Yeah. Honestly the 2060 and the 5700 shouldbe the Polaris replacements but everyone went retarded with the pricing.

Idk what exactly we’ll get at $200-300. Can’t really get much slower or else it will basically be the same performance for the same money years later. A sidegrade.

2 Likes

Nvidia was greedy and AMD saw no alternative but to follow suit.

I have a feeling AMDs yields on 7nm aren’t great, so that’s probably driving up the price of an already expensive node.

I’m sure yields are a factor but I’m also fairly sure it’s because they want to up their margins for their shareholders. That’s the thing they always get ribbed on during earnings calls.

Also they know they can milk the fanboys. Like all the people who bought Radon VIIs lol

1 Like

just wait… theres probably a rx5600 and rx5500 coming…

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy about that. They need better margins, but to do that, why don’t they just make a better GPU?

It seems like Nvidia is miles ahead of AMD in terms of GPU technology. I really don’t get it.

Also, I’m kinda surprised AMD didn’t get a nice spike in stock price from this launch. Ryzen sold out in stores, everything performed as expected, if not better.

1 Like

I was going to say to Sink yesterday, that I thought stock price would reach $60 by Friday. Good thing I didn’t. Lol. But at the end of the quarter surely it will see a nice bump.

Give them time to learn to crawl, walk, run…

geez

/DA

1 Like

AMD has a hard cap of $50. I was expecting to see trading open this morning at $32 or $33.

I’d not be surprised to see $35-38 though.

That’s definitely true.

1 Like

Oooh. I didn’t know that.

I mean, it’s not a rule, but just a trend.

Most people don’t believe they can pass $50

1 Like

Wanted to bring attention to this article about memory scaling on Zen2. Turns out what you really want is DDR4-3600 with tight timings. Can save a bunch of money there.

relative-performance-cpu

@wendell said something like that in the video too. IIRC the memory clock is coupled to the infinity fabric speed up to 3600 and decoupled at anything higher. That decoupling introduces latency which makes higher speed memory effectively pointless. At least that was my very basic understanding.

Speaking of that: Where was that Ryzen memory speed calculator again?

This?

1 Like

YES! Thanks. :grinning:

1 Like

I am really interested in the Navi HEVC decode / h.264 encode performance.

As a Plex user, we are used to Nvidia cards for HW acceleration transcoding for those devices that can’t play HEVC. Nvidia cards like the Quadro P2000 or GTX 1060 (once delimited) can do around 18 - 20 simultaneous real time streams of 10mbps 1080p HEVC 8 bit to (10mbps I think) 1080p h.264. Those are mainly limited by their low VRAM. Would be nice if AMD could bring some competition to the overpriced Quadros.

@wendell Any chance you could test something like this with ffmpeg once it gets fixed? (since Plex uses ffmpeg)

I think EposVox is working on this exact thing. Some initial info about that is in the megathread on his channel, did you see that? up to 6 streams before it starts to slow down

2 Likes