Maximize Ryzen: Overclock RAM for Faster Fabric Speed | Level One Techs

Note: Be sure to test before and after! It is not always the case that this procedure will improve benchmarks & scores. But you can increase the speed of the Infinity Fabric with slower memory kits. Sorry about the Moire shirt! Will set on fire now, this was shot at the same time as the temps video. :smiley:

RAM Calculator:

Crucial Memory Speed vs Latency:

Note there wasn't time to cover command rate (1T vs 2T) in this video. If possible try to get memory with a command rate of 1T for now. Working on something special for that! :smiley:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/maximize-ryzen-overclock-ram-faster-fabric-speed
10 Likes

Too bad there wasn't any 1T vs 2T testing in this. Any chance you'll revisit and mess with the command rate?

Changes coming with 1t vs 2t via agesa update

4 Likes

@wendell Unfortunately someone/s (it has been more than one I am sure) destroyed the sheet you posted on docs. could you possibly put a write protected one that can be copied off please. Can't have nice things anymore it seems.

On a happier note, I have loved the content of your channel. Please keep going.

2 Likes

Welp, time to go to war against those people.

Fixed now?

Wendell's Learnatorium is gold.

Anyways, I've noticed the same thing a couple months ago when I was looking into the differences between DDR3 and DDR4. I though it was odd that even though the speed of RAM went up quite a bit, but latency also went way up. After some digging it appeared that DDR4 had pretty much zero improvement over DDR3. I'll have to see if I can dig my post up about it again.

1 Like

Yes thank you very much, I am waiting for the r5 release to finish my build and the ram I bought is 16gb @ 3200 14.14.14.34 can't wait to see if I can push it further and your chart has taken alot of the headache and guess work out for me.

Maybe I can get some advice here.

Running a Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.8 Ghz, at 2666 Mhz Ram, on a Asus Prime B350 plus. Looks like the lastest Bios is 0515, with a beta bios listed too.

Heres a newegg link to the ram kit I got: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231867

Its G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400) Intel X99 Platform Extreme Performance Memory Model F4-2800C16D-16GRR
It says
Capacity 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Type 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
Speed DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400)
Cas Latency 16
Timing 16-16-16-36
Voltage 1.2V

I got this kit because it was listed on the Motherboard's supported RAM list for Ryzen at 2666 Mhz.

The System runs fine so far, but what settings could I run the ram at to get better performance?

I'm mostly gaming, with a gtx 1070, and a Acer 1440p 144hz monitor. My current games are like WoW, Nier, Dark souls 3, path of exile and the like.

I tried using the motherboard's frequency pulldown under DOCP to go up to 2933 once, but it kinda bricked and I had to clear cmos to get it back up.

Thanks yall

3-4 minute videos in Wendell's Learnatorium explaining interesting tidbits of information like this would be great.

Do these same concepts of memory clock functionally changing computation speed extend to other CPUs?

I would try to push to 2933. At 1.35v you may be able to get by with only minor timing differences like 18-18-18-38 or 39 I'd probably start around there. Try 1.2/1.25 v soc voltage also

no, just ryzen. the info is scant but I think the 1:2 ratio is because ddr4 moves 16 bytes at a time and IF moves 32 bytes at a time. so that makes sense.

I have the same memory as this, been trying to get it up to even 2933 without much luck. I can only offset the voltage up to 1.3v on the asus b350 prime which i think is holding it back. I'll have another bash when my gb x370 k5 gets here. (pre-order only 30 days overdue, surely it will arrive soon :^)

I assume setting 3200 and just going back and loosening the timings until it boots is the way to go when OC'in ram? or will there be points where no matter how loose the timings are some mobo/imc just won't boot at certain frequencies?

yeah one of my kits would only do 2933 for whatever reason, but the other 3 were ok. so it depends on batch, cpu and other factors, for sure.

Gigabyte has the awesome compatibility awesome too which imho works better than the newer training routine in the agesa

1 Like

Something practical :slight_smile:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

A little Wendell mojo got me past the final roadblock. I have a Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB 3000MHz kit that I couldn't get past 2666. It's often said "loosen the timings" but never said what exactly to loosen them to, and on the AX370 Gaming 5, guess work = boot loop.

I plugged the stock timings into your chart, 15-17-17-35 and got 20-23-23-48. I popped them into the BIOS and finally got 2933 without bootlooping.

1 Like

i set the timings to 18-18-18-38 at 1.35v, at 2933, and it wouldn't post, so i had to clear the rtm ram using the pins to get it to post again, and it reverted to defaults.

i tried 18-18-18-39 at 1.25v and same thing, it hung.

i unno if its the board, or the ryzen cpu not liking it, what other timings and volts should i try?

also noted, that its really annoying that the system hangs and i have to unplug the power and short the two pins on the board as per the manual to clear the ram settings.

Plug the timings into the spreadsheet and see what it says. Also 1.35v. there is a button next to the oc button that's supposed to reset ram only but the software may not be hooked up yet. You might also wait a full 2 mins before giving up on post as first post may be tricky.

You on the beta bios? Asus has been way more test heavy on their uefis it seems so seems longer between updates. There is a bug update dropping next week for sure but I didn't tell you that :wink:

nah im on bios 0515, you think the beta bios is ok?

also i dont see any buttons on the board, is there a better or faster way to reset the bios back to default so i can get back into the bios faster?

Enjoyed the video but no Ryzen part on the hor-RYZEN for me so I won't be able to provide any helpful information. Sorry.