Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

Yup exactly that. :slight_smile:
Also pci-e quirks, why limit a cpu that supports the newest tech with an old motherboard?
Especially when it comes to B-series boards.
It makes no sense if you ask me.

But yeah certain tech tubers keep yelling about not to waste money on X570 boards right? … :wink:

Also the last Ryzen 3K series chip has yet to launch for whatever reason…Let it come out. get reviewed independantly and let the MB makers patch for it if needed.

Then after the dust settles maybe a clear choice is apparent. But who can tell.

If you need to do so now… Respect…My GPU failed so I bough navi. Dont work on linux but I knew that. Waiting it out with gaming on windows 10 LTSB until im back to linux and steam play.

Clear choice for me was the 3900x and 5700xt combo. I could have gotten a 3950x once launched, but then maybe I would still be stuck with a gtx 1060. I got a 5700xt for 350 USD a 3900x for 500 USD, and my main work case (handbrake) I get double the performance with 1080p transcodes, have yet to try a 4k transcode.

See, I went with a sapphire Vega56 pulse recently for one of my systems. Because that already works flawlessly in linux, has enough performance for my use case and costs 250,- bucks instead of 350,- or more with a decent cooler .

This is like the R9 Fury all over again.

1 Like

About that, a Strix X470-F is currently half the price of a Strix X570-F.
So yeah, it is definitely about price. Still on the fence about getting that X470 though.

Just watched the Ryzen 3000 status update video and indeed disabling PBO entirely nets higher boost clocks.

Though I’m not 100% sure the performance vs ondemand governor thing is favorable to DXVK and Vulkan titles, so I leave it on performance.

I’m waiting for ASUS to fix their shit, though. Voltages seem too high on auto settings, and even with a Dark Rock Pro 4 my 3700X is running anywhere from 40-60c under light loads, like watching YouTube. Usually 45-55c.

I’ll be picking up a 3900X when they come back into stock so I’m hoping a BIOS update will settle things soon.

Hey @wendell, for that DevOps system, you need to benchmark 8K RED footage on that RAID 0. Video editors will go nuts about how fast that can scrub footage without buying a Radeon SSG:

Remember Radeon SSG?

1 Like

Contact Newegg. They should be quick about replacing it if they have one in stock.

I have read that a few people have gotten dead 3rd gen CPU’s…

There is literally 0 reason to throw away money on these overpriced x570 boards… when Ryzen came out you could get a x370 board for $150 or less… I paid literally $80 for my x370 board and its working fine with my 3900x… I don’t have voltage or boost problems that other people have.
B350 should be totally fine for most Ryzen 3000 chips because honestly they use less power than first gen chips in most scenarios.

It just makes sense to spend the least for the best performance. Most people are on a budget.

1 Like

Anyone else have a 3000 series with similar HWINFO data?

This is saying I have an Engineering sample?

1 Like

I don’t think AMD would accidentally ship an engineering sample.

1 Like

Try the beta of HWinfo

the non beta for me said ES.

Update on my woes…

Didnt have to return the 3700x CPU**

Borrowed a super old ATI GPU… after playing around with it… found out that I think its the MB or BIOs causing the issue.

It doesnt seem to power off or power on like it should, but after resetting a couple times it’ll boot.

If the CPU fan doesnt spin after about 5-6 seconds… I hold the power button until it goes off… then power on again… that usually works and it boots.

I dont know anything about setting / checking CPU voltages… so everyone is on the defaults.

1 Like

Well make sure to double check if the Asus X470-F strix actually has bios flashback support then.
I´m not fully sure if that board actually supports it.

But aside from this, X470 atleast has a decent pci-e layout on most boards.
So you are not going to be limited that much in that regards.
But B450 doesn´t make any sense to go with imo.

2 Likes

The 7nm chips are a little bit more power efficient yes,
but not by a huge amount really.
But aside from that non of the B350 boards are really that great imo.

He’s not wrong though, b350 should be okay if you’re not running a top-end chip or overclocking heavily, and in both cases, you would have the budget to spring for a better board anyways.

2 Likes

Yes of course it depends on use case scenario.
I didn´t say that he was wrong.
I just say that its kinda pointless to go with B-series boards,
for the new Ryzen 3000 cpu´s really.
Sure certain B350 and B450 boards are generally fine for the Ryzen 5 3600 (X) cpu´s.
And sure without crazy overclocks, they will also do a 3700.
However the pci-e layout of B-series boards in general is limited.
And to me personally aside from the vrm situations on B350 and B450,
which is arguably terrible.
You also limit your new cpu that supports the latest tech.
And yeah then i don´t even start about the quirks you could run into.

Non of the B-series boards support bios flashback,
other then the Msi B450 ones.
So there is another limitation.

So yeah to me personally i don´t really see many reasons,
in favour of B350 / B450 for the net Ryzen 3000 cpu´s.
Other then money, but that’s still only one pro vs 3 con´s.

X470 /X370 is of course a different story.
Because there are more boards with bios flashback support.
So more boards to choose from.
And they generally have better vrm implementations,
with some exceptions to that rule.
And of course the pci-e layout isn´t really limited, aside from it being pci-e3.0.
So only really a limitation for ultra fast ssd’s.

I had a B350 board from launch and kept it for 1.5 years… ran my 1700x OC @ 3.9Ghz just fine… upgraded to x370 for more OC and didn’t get more than 50mhz more… 0% more performance… x370 board struggled with the same ram speeds I got on my b350.

Glad you got it working!
You can check voltages with HWINFO.