Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

I already had to buy the 200ge… Because I didn’t have another option to flash with.

From ASRocks download page for the B450M-hdv R4.0:
The yellow text is what you are looking for.

yes. ive read it.

it says if you are not at 1.4 … go to 1.4 before this one.
the MB was at 2.2 when I got it.

and I wasnt worried about the all-in-1 amd thing since i wont be running the apu after this

Small Update: I had some time to test a bit yesterday. I didn’t realize how much the i5 6500 was actually Bottlenecking my 1070ti.
Specifically Overwatch went from 100-130FPS with major Dips to 300 FPS Locked with minimum settings. Exactly what i hoped. Running such high Framerates is taxing on the CPU, so i’m really happy that the 3600 is such a major Upgrade. I’ll do some more testing with multitasking and such, since that was a major Problem, but i’m confident that this will work fine.

Other than that, unzipping larger Archives takes a LOT less time. Nothing i do daily, but when i’m installing some large VST Libraries or such, it’s nice to not have to wait so long.
Other than that, the Audio from the MSI Board is way better than before. Much more power. Again, not needed but much appreciated for the one Game that i actually use it with.

I’ll try some Far Cry 5 Later today and start trying to get those voltages down a bit.

1 Like

I flashed backward to v3.10

Will try the 3700x again … hopefully late tonight or later this week.

Also waiting to hear back from asrock support…

1 Like

Ok, i’m stuck. I can’t get the CPU Voltages to change no matter what.
MSI B450m Bazooka Plus. Latest non-Beta Bios.
I set XMP to Profile 1 (3200 16 18 18 18 36), which gets correctly applied.
I set CPU Voltage to “Override” and 1.3875 Volts. I left everything else at default.
CPU is still idling with 1.43 - 1.44 Volts at 52C on the stock cooler.

With a Cinebench R15 Run, i immidiately hit 85C, and that gets up to around 90C. Voltages drop to arround 1.08V to 1.00V. I get a sustained 3.4Ghz all core, which seems low. Scores have also dropped by 200 Points compared to two days ago. Not sure if the BIOS Update or the Voltage change is to blame. I’ll test that now. But overall, I’m not confident running the CPU at 65-70C all Day. I’ll throw on a Game later and watch what Temps do than.

Until then, if anyone could give some input on what settings to tweak or such, i’d be very happy.

Quick Update: Clocks and Score where due to the Voltage changes. Set it back to Auto and now it again sustains 1.33V under Full load and again Reaches 3.4Ghz. Still Toasty (Max of 94C on the second consecutive Run), but not a huge Increase in Idle or Load Temperatures. Very weird…

So after some back and forth with Asrock support… They said going from 2.20 to 3.20 is no problem (they do it everyday).

They said that if the 200GE still works after updating the BIOS… then my 3700x is just bad.

1 Like

Should I contact newegg for the replacement or AMD?

neweggs site says I have 20 days left for return… Going to try again in the next day or two before submitting for a replacement.

Go to a Micro Center to test it first. If it’s truly dead, do a return with Newegg.

thats a 4+ hour drive to the closest one

It could of course be that the cpu is dead.
But then you should get a cpu error led.
Atleast hoping that the board has atleast some kind of diagnostics on it?
So yeah try with the other cpu again if it works.

I still don´t get why people keep recommending buying B450 / B350 series boards,
for the Ryzen 3000 cpu´s really…
I understand that its mainly for cost savings.
However with the all the potential issues you run into with this.
I don´t think it´s worth it.

I believe that only Msi supports biosflash back on some of their B450 boards.
Non of the other brands have this feature on B450 as far as i´m aware.

Yeah i understand that X570 boards currently are very expensive.
However it could potentially safe you from allot of headaches,
when just investing in one really, especially for Ryzen 7 and 9 cpu´s.
And when X570 boards are trully out of budged range,
then atleast pick a decent X470 that supports flashback.

Not sure if there will be B550 boards coming out in the future.
I have not really heard anything about that yet.
But i think that they should release them rather quickly.
Otherwise it will put the Ryzen 3600 and 3600X in pretty difficult spot.

2 Likes

I get B450 in a way, B350 is a nono.

same here

Yeah only the MSi B450 Gaming pro carbon is reasonable.
It also supports bios flashback.
All other boards are crap.

And yeah then i´m not going to start about pci-e connectivity limmitations,
of B-series boards in general.
I mean i trully don´t see manny reasons to go for B450 really.
X470 is of course a different story, most those atleast have a reasonable pci-e layout.

1 Like

no debug leds… sadly

but good news… report later…

On a side note, looks like Valve is tracking an issue with Proton and the 3000 series CPUs:

Seems to be UMIP related. What does that mean @Wendell? Wine devs are ignoring the issue it looks like.

1 Like

I think they were talking next year for the b versions. I am willing to lay money the x versions are not selling very well.

All these problems with everyone slapping 3000’s in older mbs :)~

Not so crazy am I ?

Overvoting and high temps is enough for me to pop for a current mb alone.

It is cool some of this is backwards compat but… We all know how that works… not without issues.

2 Likes

Read this thread.

1 Like

Thanks, i already have the new drivers, though it defaulted to the High Performance Power Plan, so I’ll change that later to see if that changes anything. My Current BIOS reports “Support ComboPI 1.0.0.3ab”. No clue if this is 1.0.0.3ABB or not.

I’m not too worried about reported Voltages though. It just seems like the stock cooler is a tad undersized. Playing some extensive Overwatch at 1440p 250-300 FPS led to several “Notifications” that i’m above 80C. It might just be, that the fact we are having Summer with up to 35C or more in my Room might lead to the stock Cooler being just not enough.
I’m confident that the CPU will throttle where needed and that i’m able to run it like that for a month or two. Once it gets cooler outside, i’ll take another look. Next month i’ll look into some cheaper options for upgrading the cooler, if only to reduce noise. At those temps, the CPU Cooler and all Casefans are running full tilt, which is a bit annoying.

Yea with such high ambient no wonder you get high CPU temps.