Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

Sure there are more people who had great experiences with certain B350 boards.
For example the Msi B350 Gaming pro Carbon and Krait Gaming,
are kinda reasonable.
And the same counts for the Msi B450 Gaming pro Carbon as well.
Those are pretty much the best B-series board to get,
in terms of vrm implementations.
They still use very cheap and not great mosfets.
However they put double that amount of them per phase in paralel.
And if you cram enough of those mosfets on a phase,
then combined they generally don´t suck as bad.

But still vrm designs are pretty poor on B-series boards in general.
I wouldn´t recommend to trow a 3900X or 2700X on them really.
A 3700X is a little bit better on power consumption,
in comparison to a 2700X.

But my general statement isn´t really about the vrm situation.
It’s more about other limitations in terms of board choice,
pci-e limitations with B-series chipsets,
And of course issues you could run into regarding bios flashback support etc.

I really hope that they would launch B550 boards soon.
Because now if you want a bang for buck budget gaming system with a 3600X.
Then you youre board choice for B450 is pretty limited,
since only Msi B450 boards support bios flashback.

I do have some positive hopes for B550 if they come out this time around.
They do have a little bit more playroom in terms of price.
So they eventually could make a good B550 board for like $140,- / $150,-
I mean those Vishay Sic634 Drmos powerstages only cost like a buck a piece.
So combine it with a cheaper voltage controler 4+2 phases,
and double the amount of them per phase.
Then you still have a really decent bang for buck vrm.
And still plenty of room to add usefull features to a b550 board.

I mean there are options here.

But that idea might likely make those boards too good. :slight_smile:

Time to put the worst heatsink ever on them!

2 Likes

I mean I had a B350 Tomahawk Arctic and I built another machine with a B350 Bazooka and its also fine… I even have a Gigabyte A320 and Asrock A320 board, both of which are also fine.

Honestly $150 is already too expensive for a motherboard imho… this is why I only purchased an x370 on sale at $80. My original board was also $80 when I got it (B350 Tomahawk Arctic) and I sold it for $100 when it became rare 1.25 years later.

Which PCI-E limitations are you referring to? Because I have a Vega56 & HP Ex920 and both were running at full speed without a problem…

Well everybody has their own opinion on this which is fine really.
In my opinion cheaping out on a motherboard is generally not a great idea.
It’s still the most important of a system together with a decent psu.
But of course that’s just my opinion. :slight_smile:

To be honest, the video on Ryzen 3000 didn’t clear anything up for me personally. But i don’t really care anymore tbh.
I am using a stock CPU with stock Cooler on Stock settings. I expect that thing to run at temps it’s comfortable at. If it dies because of heat, I’ll RMA it and that’s about it.
I’m still going to upgrade the cooling later for Volume sake. But from what i understood from the video: Keep up to date with newer Bios’s and Firmwares and don’t bother fiddling with it other than that. I’m getting great performance as is and don’t plan to overclock. I’d just like to sustain sub 80 C even in 100% Load scenarios. Other than that, i’m not sure if there is anything to do really.

2 Likes

Is that windows only?

Well yeah Ryzen doesn’t really overclock well.
AMD already push them pretty close to their max potential out of the box.

Im with you man :slight_smile: the last 3k CPU is yet to come out with the top speced boxed boost…Let it play out and I am sure a lot of the problems will start the trend to a norm across all the MB’s. With future patchs.

Pretty sure it doesn’t. Need to pay up for the X570-F for flashback. Asus seems to keep those features to the even more expensive boards. I’m pretty fed up with Asus pricing to be honest. I just want a decent board with decent features. Seems I get to pay a lot for such an Asus board.

I have a B450 that I got for another project, and I don’t really recommend it. Sure it works, but that is about it.

2 Likes

@wendell
So now that my B450 and 3700x system is operational…

whats a benchmark I can try in fedora to see if system is okay per: timestamped*

https://youtu.be/B1Cml29Lavw?t=1284

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not that Zen 2 doesn’t overclock well, it’s that AMD realized they had been leaving performance on the table and now clock to the chip’s limit automatically. This happened a couple generations ago on the GPU side and AMD benefited from design cross-pollination on selling both enthusiast GPUs and CPUs.

This is a bit of a bummer for those of us that used to buy cheap CPUs and overclock them to get more value for our money, but a good thing overall.

I expect Intel to quickly follow suit. “Overclocking” will soon be an anachronism.

Yes it is windows or DOS Only.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Use y-cruncher, it is very accurate and scales well between different OS’s (depending on threading).

1 Like

Alot of people seem to think that, but honestly I haven’t ever had a board fail on me… Outside of the failure of Atom CPU’s (which are embedded obviously)… I’ve had $30 mobos last more than a decade.

Infact right now I have a colocated server in Romania, running a $33 Biostar 760G board with my Phenom II x3 710 in it… this board has been basically 24/7 operational since 2012.
The chip is almost 24/7 operational since July 2009?

My NAS is running a ECS FM1 board with an A4-3400… this is also running since 2012 (first in HTPC and now as a NAS). I paid $42 for the board…
I have another server with a Jaguar A4-5000 in a Biostar embedded board for $50… its been operational for 4 years now with no problems.

My Xeon 1241v3 desktop has a $60 B85 (i think that the right number) board… on and off running (although 2 years of basically 24/7 full load) since late 2015?

If you don’t push motherboards… typically they don’t fail. Just purchase on features and what fits your budget.

Kind of beating my head against a wall trying to figure out a viable method of overclocking Ryzen 3000 in a professional enviroment. So far i’ve only gotten my hands on two chips (both 3900x), one system has 3000mhz memory the other has 3200… both run +100 on the FCLK fine but the core is behaving badly on both even without tweaks to the FCLK I can’t get either to run 4.275 all core (IMO anything less means the OC needs removed from the order)… i’ve had the sales person change the cooler on one of them it’s just… ugh…

Ryzen 3000 ocing is a pain in the ass if anyone has any tips and tricks that’d be cool otherwise I think i’m gonna have to have AVA pull OCs from the website for these chips.

Try disabling cpcc

1 Like

I’ll give it a shot when i go back in Monday.

Well I ended up ordering an x470 gaming pro carbon and 3600 to replace my b350 tomahawk and 1600x. I will report back once i get it built

6 Likes

Atleast you have a 1600x to flash the bios of the x470.

1 Like