Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

On a 95W part? Isn’t that a bit mismatched?

It could scrape by.

It’s the Thermal Limit for the Processor, which is at default 95C. If you change it, theoretically the temperature limits go up…

1 Like

It matches the performance of the newer craptastic Wraith Spire, but using up 1/3rd of the physical volume.

1 Like

So, i got my 3600 in yesterday. Since i’ve been with Intel for close to 10 years, and haven’t had an Overclockable Platform in the same timeframe, i’m trying to figure out where i need to go now.

So far, i realized my memory defaulted to 2400. Setting XMP to Profile 1 made that the correct 3200 CL16.
So far, i’m running the stock cooler, so i don’t expect any Overclocking. In Cinebench R15 Runs, i’m hitting 3.88 all core, which seems fine. Temps are a bit “worrying” though. It idles around 50-60C and shoots up to 85C on Cinebench immidiatly. With my Casefans ramping up, i can keep it below 90 for a single run and Temps drop back to 55 immidiately after that.

Is there something i can do to produce less heat without impacting performance too much? Also, Ryzen Master or Bios? I’m a bit confused on that. I’ll probably upgrade the cooler to an NH-U12 or such, but that’s a month off at least, as no funds are left.

So far, i’m really impressed by the CPU. LoL increased by arround 100 FPS :wink: More testing to occur later.

1 Like

Amd historically benefits greatly from overkill cooling setups :slight_smile:

My 1700x has never seen any temp higher than 45 c with everything I have thrown at it.

I do not know if that is good or bad ? Maybe go throw more stuff at it…

Ryzen overclocks like crap, so i wouldn’t waste too much time on it.
3600X boost speeds is what you could eventually end up with.
But not really much more then that.

1 Like

I’m not planning to. The question is, can i get lower temps at stock with tweaking voltages a bit?
Or do i just leave it where it is, throw a Hyper212 or PureRock on it and be done with it?

Idk what you current voltage is.
But the new Ryzen3000 cpu’s do have a bug with high voltage on stock / idle.
Lower the voltage should basically help reducing temps.
But it is kinda depending on what you current voltages are.
And which motherboard you use.
I believe that there are uefi bios updates out for most boards now that should adress,
the high voltage at stock issue.
So that would be something to try out, if you didn’t update it already.

If you still get such high temps and high voltages.
Then i would just set a fixed voltage of like 1.325V.
And put LLC on on of the lower profiles.

It could of course also be a cooling issue eventually.
The stock cooler isn’t the best one out there of course.
But still it should be sufficient.

Ok, i’ll try to answer all of this:

• Board is a MSI B450m Bazooka Plus
  • Currently i’m on the first BIOS that supported 3rd Gen, to get it going. There is a Beta Bios out for this Board that i can try later
  • At idle i’m getting aroun 1.4V, at full tilt it’s running aroun 1.33V, again, more exact figures later, but that’s what i saw yesterday with just Cinebench and Ryzen Master used to look at the Voltages.
  • I’m not too worried about idle temps. We have summer now, so it’s 30C outside. 50-55C at idle is fine. I’m just worried to hit 90C and above on synthetic loads. This seems kinda high.
  • FInally, it could also be thermal paste. FOr simplicity sake, i used the stock application. I wanted to make sure everything works Ok before i start switching stuff arround.

I have no experience with Ryzen, so the 90C under full load could be fine. It’s just not what i’m used to. But then again, my i5 ran with an H80, so that never went above 50C in any circumstance…

Yup this part, looks similar to what i talk about above.
1.4V at stock is just way to high.
I would say either try the beta bios, but note its BETA.
If you don’t feel comfortable with that, then put in a fixed voltage.

The voltage drop is likely due to the temps that went up.

Of course a new cooler will help reducing those higher temps.
But 1.4V at stock is still too high.

I’ll give that a go. Luckily i get myself a board with flashback. So even a complete F* Up would just mean i’d have to spend 2 Minutes Flashing the stable Bios from stick.

Currently, i’m able to set a Voltage offset in Bios. I toyed with it a bit yesterday, but setting this didn’t seem to actually afffect Voltages. I set -0.05, -0.075 and -0.1, neither changed the voltages displayed in RM.

Well yeah Msi 400 series boards by default didn’t even have a offset voltage option in the bios.
This has been added fairly recently.
So i wouldn’t be surprised if that setting doesn’t work well.

At this point it is waiting for the MB makers to finish up all there baby steps with the new CPU’s and there BIOS’s

Just look at the difference hardward unboxed got with the same CPU / COOLER on serveral MB’s. Is still up in the air.

MB benchmarks have been dead for years because there all perform the same power and thermals aside. Not so on Ryzen. When the benchmark graphs are all in margin of error it will be a little easyer.

2 Likes

My OC’d 1700x would hit 72C max on a stress test. Gaming 50C idle 32C, regular workloads 40-42C.

You can get a HYper212 but as someone else said you should check the voltages. Likely you could be able to undervolt it a bit if the voltages are high which would reduce temps.

Have you installed the Ryzen chipset drivers and the Ryzen power plan?

You can try to order Thermalright TF8, when I switched from Arctic silver or stock paste (depending on which machine) to TF8 my temps dropped 5-14C.

AMD CPU’s like to be cool, keeping it at 80C max is the ideal situation. Lower is better but don’t bust your wallet on a cooling solution, a Deepcool GAMMAX 400 or a Hyper 212 should be fine.
There are some Arctic freezers which are also great if they are available in your market.

So I updated my B450M-hdv r4.0 asrock motherboard to the latest BIOS (v3.20) and installing the 3700x. (used a Athlon 200GE for BIOS update)

Tried to power it on … the CPU fan spins a couple times… then stops.

I was hoping to not have to install a GPU to use it headless for a little bit…but I did try my 5700xt … but it acts the same (cpu fan stops after spinning ~2 times.)

Thoughts…

Re-Flash with BIOS Flashback is the only thing I can think of. If it’s not there, use a Ryzen 3 1200 to flash rather than the 200GE because the 200GE is newer than the 2400G, so it might need an older CPU to do a reliable flash.

You didn’t skip a lot of versions did you? Does it have flashback?

1 Like

Went from 2.2 to 3.2

I might have skipped 2 vers

But no flashback :frowning:

Just checked I did skip 2.3 and 3.1… why can’t you go to the latest version ??

There’s no warning that says to flash every version in order