RTX on GTX cards

Industry is lazy because they don’t want to spend gobs of money and man hours learning RTX? So you want someone writing just 1 game to do all this RTX coding when there are far far more non-RTX cards in the market place. Then if you are a studio… you got do it all over again, for just 1 more title. It’s not worth it for hardware that hasn’t achieved much market penetration. Maybe in 3 years or NVidia’s 3XXX series it will be better, for now there are a lot of people that are not wowed by the technology.

Yes. And they should be doing it now. For free.

The horror. Sounds like things are booming if AMD is jumping on the bandwagon late to the party and all.

Right, well make a game studio and create a game and you can get all the RTX goodness coded you want.

Except that most game devs don’t make their own engines and RTX makes the devs work easier because they don’t have to precompute all the lightning.

If it was so easy why are there many more RTX titles?

1 Like

Because the game engines are only starting to support it and games have long development cycles. Pretty obvious if you ask me.

Pretty obvious then that this technology is not ready for prime time and probably needed some cook time before being released.

Yep, that’s what I’ve said right from the start. Nvidia botched the launch and nobody should buy their cards for RTX sake. Doesn’t mean that raytracing isn’t revolutionary and RTX is a good thing.

1 Like

Ive said the same thing on this forum a couple of times. They should have released this architecture with reasonable prices while working on RTX for the 3XXX and working behind the scenes for game manufacturers. They didn’t. RTX doesn’t “just work”, quite the opposite. That has led to lackluster sales, lackluster adoption and lackluster reviews. I don’t think RTX is revolutionary as the effects on the current 2XXX won’t make you go wow, could be a neat addition but not jaw dropping. When its jaw dropping THEN it will be a revolution, for now its pretty but easily can be lived without.

1 Like

this tech has been around since the mid 90’s nothing “new” about it just that it is being used real time in games is the “new” change. we are still 3-4 generations possibly 5 generations of cards from it being usable at high frame rates with good frame times and no loss of quality.

Repeat after me:

If you can fake “good enough” at “fast enough” speed, missing some detail just doesn’t matter. As you say, 1440p or even 1080p @ 144hz > 1080p @ 60hz with RT any day.

Frame rate > detail up a point, and that point is a pretty fucking high frame rate.

We can currently get “good enough” via rasterisation tricks. Ray tracing is STILL too slow for high frame rate or high resolution for regular screens, never mind stuff like VR.

I get it, NV need to get it off the ground, but being the bleeding edge adopter… not for me. I’ll buy in when it’s useful, not yet.

I think RTX3xxx will be worth buying because it will be a BIG leap from Pascal in raster performance as well. But say, 1080TI or 1080 to RTX series? Not enough of a jump in performance for the dollar outside of RT, and RT is currently useless.

I suspect RTX3xxx is where we will maybe see some actual deployment of RT beyond shiny eyes on character models and other useless fluff.

edit:
dunno if anyone else remembers, but there was a real time raytracing demo kicking about in the mid-late 90s. on a 386 or 486 CPU. Sure, it was just a “sun” and a “planet” orbiting it, but real time ray-tracing in “not good enough to be really useful outside of curiosity” form has been around for 20 years or more.

2 Likes

Obligatory “hands up if you plan to own an RTX card in the future” post in
vain hope of illuminating the absurdly low percentage of people commenting who would be caught dead buying Nvidia products.

crickets

I bought (at least)

TNT2
Geforce 2 MX
Geforce 4 ti 4200 (128)
Geforce 6600GT
Geforce 7800GT
Geforce 8800GTS
Geforce GTS450
Geforce GTX760

I would if it’s reasonable. I’m not a dual 1080ti baller, but i dropped 400-500 bucks on a GPUs three times in the past 6 years and always with Nvidia.
I think RTX is crazy technology that i’d really like to see in Games and want to be a part of. But at the moment, it’s a none starter. You basically have to get the 2080ti to get anywhere close to playable results. I game on 1440p and 144Hz. I won’t give up either of those for RTX. Maybe 60FPS in “experience games” like the witcher or such. And best of all, there are currently what, two games? three?

So, give me RTX with playable Framerates at 1440p in the “high midrange” card. So, around or below 500$ and i should be able to get high-highest Details in most other settings. When this card rolls around, i’ll be happy to jump on the RTX Bandwagon and hype the shit out of it. But not in it’s current state or at its current Price.

1 Like

I very much doubt it will go down ever. nVidia have been pushing up the price of all their cards for years. This is just the new standard for this level of performance.

Prices always go down if you compare the same features/performance.

Yes, new cards will probably get more expensive, but over time, the features will come in lower tier cards. Performance will also go up.
Yes, the top of the line cards will get more expensive, but this doesn’t mean performance or RTX will always stay at the price they are currently at.

All that is assuming, that Nvidia can make RTX viable. It could just as well not sell and be cancled in a year or two.

Over all they seem to be pushing the entire range up. And while you cane get the cheaper lower end cards with newer tech, the price paid for them does not reflect the performance get back. Paying more and getting comparatively ever less.

1 Like

Yeah, i see what you mean. I feel we are approaching peek performance. We might be at a point, where the current concept of how a GPU is build is reaching the limit of what’s doable. There might be another bump with 7nm or so, but other than that, i think there is a major shift in technology needed to significantly boost performance.

I guess this is also why Nvidia is trying to push RTX. If you compare performance from the GTX10XX to the RTX20XX there is barely a reason to upgrade. And Nvidia knew that.

2 Likes

I’m also guessing they’re leveraging AMD’s async architecture really, with every ounce of it’s capability.

Problem is they are trying to force the bleeding edge as mainstream, and are not happy with the push back. Have to agree about FPS… I didn’t buy a 144 mhz 1440p GSync monitor only to have it knocked down to 60 FPS for some lighting changes which may or may not be an improvement.

2 Likes