RTX 3000 /thread

I mean my 2080 does 1440p 144hz at max settings on everything i’ve tested it with. Upgrading to 4k for most people with a 1080 Ti, 2070 or above would cost them the cost of a new card plus at least $700 for a cheap gsync monitor

With current games maybe.

Variable refresh has certainly helped with games being choppy, so even if a card isn’t hitting a billion FPS it will still feel smooth.

But the games of tomorrow? Who knows what will happen. With new consoles that can actually hit 4K right around the corner I wouldn’t be surprised if we also see more games with greater graphical fidelity. I know I’ve played a few games recently that hit my 980 Ti harder than games from just a couple years ago.

2 Likes

probably doing 1440p and using AMDs upscaling tech, only way I see for them to reack 4k with one fan cooling things and keeping quite when any other GPU is blowing like a wind tunnel when playing 4k native lol.

1 Like

I do think we will hit 4K60 native in games, just not all. There’s some neat stuff happening in them that should allow devs to do more fancy stuff using less hardware resources, and since they have more resources they have the ability for more more (lol).

But yeah, those fans will be getting their workout either way.

I should get back on topic.

1 Like

Just watched that whole video. It’s not amazing except in RTX. For me who owns a 2080 a 70% improvement still really appeals to me.

1 Like

Oof, Linus posted a video showing 3080 at a bit less than 2x performance increase in Blender Cycles vs 2080Ti, at 100W extra power draw.

Aye, assuming I can fit a beast like that in my case :thinking: Waiting for AMD to play their cards, but for sure Ampere looks nice. My 1060 needs to be upgraded.

1 Like

Tom’s Hardware:

PC Perspective:

OC Club:
https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_geforce_rtx3080_founders_edition/

ArsTechnica:

Linus Tech Tips:

Engadget:

Gamers Nexus:

Hardware UnBoxed:

Digital Foundry:

Tasty PC:

Harware Canucks:

wait… what?

4 Likes

I was very disappointed to learn that SR-IOV was not enabled on these cards. That was the one thing I really had hope for and may have made me pull the trigger this week.

“wow the 3080 is so much cheaper compared to the 2080ti!”

(canadian users)
“they are?”

5 Likes

3080s are between 699€ and 925€ on Caseking.de

3090 starts at 1500€ and tops out at 1800€

yeah looking at how AIB cards will cost basically $200 more than nvidias price, in canada we’ll be paying 1.2K for a 3080, basically $200 less than the 2080ti prices

1 Like

3080 doesn’t live up to the hype, it seems. Nowhere near the twice as fast that was claimed, and dumps out a hell of a lot of heat, though that may be of no issue if you have AC

However, the price/performance at 4K is great, assuming aftermarket cards cost about the same (but they obviously won’t). If you’re fine with the huge amount of heat then it’s all good

2 Likes

So is this paper launch or is it actually available on sites?

EDIT: paper launch. Fuck you nvidia.

6 Likes

Lmao

1 Like

Paper Launch.
Got a huge number of empty shipping containers stranded in Europe, so nothing is moving anywhere.

1 Like

at least (nervously sweats knowing full well stores will keep the prices the same and inflate the 3080 prices) this should lower prices of other good cards, tbh if lowered enough id rather go for a 2070 super just to get a decent TDP

Here too, it looks like:

1 Like

GA100 doesn’t have a render pipeline. It’s compute only.

Yeah a bit. Good upgrade for people who are sitting on their 1080 Ti and want to spend no more than they did in 2017.

1 Like