Rj45 connector into flat cable

Hello

I was wondering what some tips and tricks were on putting a new rj45 connector(regular connector) on a FLAT cable. I am having difficulty keeping the wires(very thin) in the appropriate slots. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Can you upload a picture?

@oO.o

re-crimp?

if the actual wires are too thin to engage with the slots, perhaps strip more insulation away, and fold the wire over, so it’s effectively twice the width?

Buy flat rj45.
Use a normal cable. Cut just behind the plug and solder a thin cable.
Use the ghetto method to put something inside for better filling. hot glue, insulation, some thin paperclip …

If this is to be done solidly, I would rather avoid option 3.

That is a good idea! I will solder to a regular cable that already has the rj45 connected! Thank you very much for that idea. I cant believe that did not cross my mind. How should I insulate it? by pairs? foil or rubber?

Isolation, of course! Try to recreate the original as accurately as possible and it should be ok.
And if you don’t want to solder by hand then you can try these Self-Solder Heat Shrink to connect the wires.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073RMRCC3/

wow that is cool i didn’t know those existed. should i isolate them by pairs and use rubber heat shrink tubing? @TimHolus

Yes, each wire must be insulated separately. I’m talking only about electrical insulation. And finally you can wrap everything together.
Individual wires cannot have an electrical connection, which is obvious. When it comes to magnetic insulation it’s your decision, they probably don’t need to have a separate one.

I switched to these several years ago and never looked back.

They are cool, I like them too.

Just a matter of diameter. It looks like the OP has a very small wire diameter and plugs do not hold the wire.

Typical vs thin …

Yeah, stranded as well. Probably more trouble than it’s worth. I’d recommend going with some standard sized solid run and avoiding the headache.

1 Like

thank you everyone for the information. i have to catch up on all the posts i missed. will update with progress after i catch up and attempt to solder them together

I think I got one of these with my Steam link, They do look rather tidy if I do say so.

1 Like

@TimHolus @oO.o if I cut an end of a cat 5 and properly solder the wires to the cat 6 will it effect the speeds?

Should be fine assuming it’s a gigabit or lower connection. Technically what you want to look out for is packet loss though, not speed per se.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I’m only using 2" of cat 5 on the 49ft cat6 cable. I’ll test for packet loss.

1 Like

Treat this cable entirely like cat5e and forget about cat6. It will work rather, problems may arise at 10G and long distances.

1 Like