Right 2 Repair Corner

Suggestion: I change my thread to focus on the practical side of things and link to this thread for general discussion and legislation, because, quite fankly, I suck at politics.

2 Likes

Ayyy shout out to ford

gonna repost in garage but Fords making an initiative to 3DP stuff

2 Likes

Why is it always Japanese companies that dont understand that imitation is the purest form of flattery?

1 Like

The japanese are prudes :troll:

Ooof

Thats not okay. Tesla may not be as bad

I don’t see how this is R2R related. Chevy isn’t deactivating features of the car if you get a repair, they’re just not supporting the car anymore.

This is more like the scummy, borderline illegal business practices we expect from a Chinese company than right to repair.

Remember folks, R2R isn’t about forcing a manufacturer to keep supporting things forever. It’s about having the ability to do your own repairs.

Plus, we all know a $13k EV is not going to last.

2 Likes

I guess that true. But it just seems so soon. As in sooner than any of the batteries realistically last

We really need to treat GM like a Chinese company now. Since the bailout and offshoring of all their manufacturing, it’s not what it once was.

IE: You should be comparison shopping a caddy and a xpeng. They have the same longevity expectations.

1 Like

Yeah … Sad though. I really liked them before 2013. Almost even trusted them to be reliable.

The thing is though the Caddy is nice. Now im not so sure what to expect. Is it going to feel nice for a year and shit the brick? etc

It’s new technology on a 18 year old platform. Should be solid, if the ECU can hold up to the power.

The only real problems the caddy can have are easily repairable at any autozone in the country.

The problem is all these new EV testing platforms. GM is not interested in maintaining their short-lived iterative platforms. And in that light, Tesla appears to be doing much better.

How long you think the (fire)Bolt is going to stick around?

1 Like

I guess thats true. Its a disposable communuter

You are correct tesla is doing better. I venture so will merc. Toyota is going alright too. Its just I wish GM would stop giving american cars the name they dont realistically deserve. They are the poster child for the unreliable car meme at this point.

On the note of maintaining and supporting EVs and stuff for a long time. It does seem like Ford is really stepping up to that plate thus far

All their EVs are their long time reliable models and fleet models.

Probably the better approach to take. You can learn more from 10’s of thousands of vehicles ordered vs… some commuter vehicles ordered

Toyota doing the same:

And neither are pulling a honda. They are making 3DP programs for their vehicles

Toyota isn’t though. They’ve got the hybrids and the Rav4 electric, which they made like 300 examples of as a California compliance car and it was poorly supported.

I’d argue that they don’t have enough datapoints though.

1 Like

Well Toyota seems to be taking the cautious approach. I know they are behind but I do think the Jap’s will catch up

Toyota doesn’t design like GM. Not even like ford. They are more Nazi about lean design than ford. It makes them more reliable *most of the time. Though it slows them down when it comes to new tech cuz its not tried and tested. That seems to be their MO

Now lean design is actually good in terms of right to repair prospects on average.

Yes.

1 Like

I still think they have a card they aren’t playing

They played it. Nobody paid attention. They have solid state batteries on the road.

1 Like

I saw that. It was very impressive. I have hopes for that to expand.

Has toyota stuck to the old way where the battery is user serviceable “technically”

Ive changed a lot of prius bats

Not sure. The new EV’s haven’t been out long enough to say.

Ie, they’re not out yet.

1 Like

We are totally commandeering this into new garage lmao. oops. Well anyways I look forward to seeing toyota start competing. Tesla could seriously use the competition

1 Like

So, I am going to only post one video, but this guy is actually a copyright lawyer who sometimes covers R2R. And a lot of other very interesting stuff (like DMCA, fair use, and similar). From what he’s commented in his videos, a lot of his practice is defending people in piracy cases.

He actually extrapolates Google v Oracle from APIs to protocols, BMS communication protocol in this case.

@PhaseLockedLoop you mentioned wondering how the term is catching up. In my mind R2R somehow connects to R2D2.

Also, what’s your guys take on actual security? The famous example here is Apple’s cameras - iirc, they disable face recognition unlock if the camera was replaced. Probably some about encryption keys or something. Keys must be kept secret, after all.

1 Like