Return of the FORD GT

Me neither. I think it looks bad ass and functional, but not pretty. Even the worst Ferrari's look (and probably feel) better. The only Ford I ever owned was the worst car I've ever owned. I am sure they make some good cars now (Focus, Mustang) but I don't think I want one.

I like the Ford GT for engineering reasons. It is unusual for a big corporation to commit to building a race car they plan to sell to be driven on the street. Most Ferrari's, Porsche's, Corvette's, Aston Martin's, etc. the GT was competing against were road cars converted to racing. The GT is a race car detuned for public sales.

Well yeah Ford verywell knows how to build a great engine.
But emission laws etc nowdays just kills the fun for real purists.
Its all about downsizing and crap, which i dont like at all.
Especialy not for cars like a GT, or any car that has sports dna.

What are you talking about?
I have been around for awhile and this is the rebirth of the Golden Age of Horsepower. We have never had it so good and it is because of the terrible emission laws. At first pollution controls ruined cars, but now all cars are better for it.

Back in the day Formula 1 cars dreamed of making over 100HP per liter. My downsized 2 liter Subaru turbo makes 125HP per liter. The Ford GT makes 200HP per liter. Then you have insane choices like 700HP Dodges, 650HP Corvettes, 550HP Nissans, 1500HP Bugatti's and 600HP Tesla's.

Don't knock it til' you've driven it. If a car is fast, I don't care if it is powered by a hamster wheel.

1 Like

I think @MisteryAngel like myself has other things in mind besides how fast it is. Some of us like the rumble of our bigger displacement higher cylinder count engines

Nothing wrong with going LOUD and BIG. I love muscle cars. However big engines are heavy and can reduce handling. That is why making more HP with less weight can be beneficial. I am more of a quick and nimble sort of car guy. My car is fast in a straight line but even faster in the corners. I race it on the track and have passed someone around the outside in a 110 MPH 4-wheel drift. I'm not sure I would have survived in any other car.

Oh dont get me wrong. I completely understand the reasoning. I am just saying theres nothing like the sound of a good old V12 with the .5 liter cylinders the twin turbo and the quad exhaust

1 Like

Sure we do see small engines with turbo´s and compressors producing allot of Horse powers.
And i dont say that its a bad thing persee, but i do say that it most likely have less lifespan.
And yeah next to that, a big fat engine with a great sound is just awesome.

Mmm advances in material science engineering actually make it last longer. Less moving parts.. Less parts of failure. Sure there are greater pressures and what not but engineered with the proper materials they are not only tougher but due to efficiency they are cleaner
And we all know a clean engine lasts longer lol

Well yeah i´m maybe a bit skeptical, after i saw what happened to engines like the 1.4Tfsi etc,
that were just a realy bad designs back in the day.
For that Matter the Italians did a better job at making a little 1.4 turbo engine.

Rather unexpected https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQPohKkgAzE Ford wins La mans