Return of the FORD GT

The Ford GT is back! In the 60's Ford wanted to humiliate Ferrari and came out with the Ford GT.
It worked.
Every exotic car company just found out they need a drink:)

1 Like

I prefer the design of the first generation... just looks more American imo. This looks like a hybrid of a few different European cars following a GT shape. Well here's hoping the performance is still there.

I feel like it's going to be very disappointing in the low end.

3.5L turbo making 600HP? That sounds like it's going to have pretty high boost. Nothing wrong with boost, but the problem with turbos is you don't have the low-end power that you sometimes want. I'd be curious to see what the power curve winds up looking like.

600HP is nice, but only if you get near there at a wide range on the tach.

That said, it looks nice to me. Definitely not an american look, but who cares. We've got the same thing with the C7, but no one cares because of the performance class Chevy has put themselves in with it.

It is sexy. More European influence than the last version but this could come down to something as boring as aerodynamics or some such. I think it looks American.

I don't like Ford. I prefer the Corvette Stingray. It's so pretty.

Sigh, yea it lost its American vibe imo. Looks like a cross between a newer Corvette and a Ferrari. However I'm glad they went for a more European look rather than Japanese, but that's personal preference. Dodge still keeps its American look, especially the Challenger (I know its a muscle car but still).

Edit... just saw this "3.5L EcoBoost® V6 " Buahahaha... In a super car!

I'm sure this car screams, but that's a bit disappointing.

1 Like

Never driven (only ridden in) but I have been in a 2005-2006 GT and I think it looks way more American than the new one. Comparing it to a 430 Scuderia, the 2005-2006 GT is more comfortable and feels more fun. I don't see why they decided to redesign the entire look. In my opinion a Ford Bronco redesign and a slight update/rerelease to the GT would have been way more profitable and better in general.

The whole i8, NSX, GT, and other supercar rerelease thing lately, is mostly hype that I feel like is actually targeted towards increasing the sales of their lower end models more than promoting the sale of the actual supercar.

The story as far as I remember is Henry Ford 2 wanted to buy Ferrari. Enzo Ferarri jerked him around so Ford built the GT just to beat Ferrari at LeMans.

Fortunately that was ceiling was broken when Acura but a v-6 in the NSX. Would love to have seen a 429 but those days are sadly over.

They still have the mustang for the muscle car segment but this is gonna go up against the NSX and ferrari and Masarati.It is times like this when the automotive press have ALLOT more fun then the tech press

Gosh I agree SOOOO much

I agree. Ecoboost pushed turbo tech pretty far but size still matters

yeah they brought back the GT in 2004/05. The version you linked is the newer updated one with different body style. Unfortunately, all I know about the newer GTs is that Jeremy Clarkson bought one (the original GT was one of his all-time favorite cars) and had so many problems that he returned it and isnt even interested in the new version, which is pretty bad publicity. Hopefully they make some improvements with the newer version.

thats why ive always been a dodge fan; that and the fact that most people originally couldn't afford those muscle cars until they brought up the price of the corvette and camaro.

1 Like

Which honestly looks worse and worse every time. Not going to deny its speed, but personally it looks silly.

The Challenger on the other hand is just screaming 'Murican. And the hellcat variant is just a beauty.

Yeah I'm continually disappointed by the new Mustangs. The newest body hardly looks any different than the Focus, it's absurd. The Challenger is a throwback done right, and really is an incredibly cool car.

This new GT also appears to be taking some design elements from the Saleen S7. It still looks american to me, not quite as removed yet as the Mustang, but getting there.

the challenger is one of those few cars that actually feels like a cockpit vs other muscles feel open made to have more space

The challenger immerses you in the experience by doing that. If I had the money that would be my muscle car of choice.

I think you would be very surprised, the car weighs less than 3,000 lbs. A pleasant change by american auto makers. At that weight it doesn't take 800 ft/lbs to get it going blisteringly fast. Plus they're doing amazing things with cam/fuel/ignition timing now.

And how does it goes arround corners?

It doesn't so much go around them as it barrels through anything in it's way making one long straight road.

That's what American muscle (and 'super')cars don't get. ANYONE can build a car that goes fast in a straight line. Building a car that goes fast through corners...that's where the talent shines in my opinion.

A lot of supercars are built specifically to handle in corners.

American made ones?

6 of the top 50 nurburgring times are american cars. one is top 10