Return of the FORD GT

Tire and aero and suspesion tech have changed allot. Putting the engine in the middle is still considered a euro thing and sticking a massive pushrod V-8 in a sedan chassis is considered more american.

The 2000 era GT was designed from the outside > in. They copied the body of the 1960's race car and quickly slapped some Mustang parts underneath it in record time to hold the wheels on. It looked the part but was never a true sports car.

The new Ford GT was designed from the ground up to win Le Mans again. They were not tied to the 1960's design but it does pay homage to the past. It is a full carbon fiber race car that is barely tamed for the street and has been doing respectably in it's first year on the track.

The biggest problem is I read an article today with the headline "It is easier to get into Harvard than it is to purchase a Ford GT." The no-compromise design and the carbon fiber tub are kind of hard to build. I don't have a problem with the small turbo engine. I have owned a few turbos (WRX currently) and it does take a bit of adjustment to keep the revs up, but once spooled it goes like hell. Plus I like the option of keeping out of turbo range (over 3500) for increased fuel economy. It's like having 2 engines in one car.

2 Likes

Small displacement with high horsepower, sounds like it is getting its Torque from RPMs. Not something American cars are historically good at. Using a thinner, longer stroke has always been the way we have typically done "muscle". I have hopes for it. I just hope that ford has learned enough from it's overseas collaborators to build a strong high RPM/ short stroke engine.

ford has been working with cosworth for a very long time. i wouldnt be surprised at all if they had a hand in the head design.

ECO boots v6... yeah that's no ford GT

Not these days, European cars piss all over american cars

p.s I do however love the ford gt

1 Like

In Australia in 1970 we had this version of the Ford Falcon XY GT with 351 cubic-inches of muscle under the hood.

The following year the Ford Falcon GTHO phase-3 was released; for a young fella or young lady, the Falcon XY GT or the GTHO phase-3 were the cars to own in 1970 / 1971.

Aussie Ford enthusiasts will pay big money for an XY or a GTHO in mint condition.

*Nothing like a Falcon XY GT on song.

1 Like

I gave the Ford gt some adderal now it's a Ford focus.

5 Likes

I gave a Ferrari some coke, now it's a Corvette.

I dont really think thats the case.. their torque curves are very flat with their ECOBOOST engines.. that being said uhmm they are making a custom version for it and the engine tuning will actually be conservative according to ford so I mean there is a ton of potential..

Kinda sick of the american look as an american .. I would like to see sleeker curves.. and the cool custom designs you quite often find on exotic euro sport cars

HAHA i spat out my drink on that.. good one.. you know they are very similar. The ecoboost engines are all very similar in terms of their builds. They were all designed off the duratech...

The first modification was on the duratech 20 (2.0 liter in the focus and fusions from 2009-2010) and of course later that year the duratech 35 and duratech 27 were turned into the 3.5l and 2.7l ecoboost so they are all of the same family and extremely similar.. so haha nice analogy

Got $400,000 burning a hole in your pocket?
Well you still can't get one but you can play with Ford's configurator. Now one can view their car with day or night lighting.
Here is my preferred look. Classic Ford Blue with Graphite Silver and Carbon Fiber accents.

https://www.ford.com/performance/gt/#configurator

The Ford team is on pole in their class for this weekends main event at Le Mans thanks to this state of the art simulator.
Because Le Mans is held on public roads, it is not possible to practice before the race.

Would I like to have that 34 foot - 21:9 - 4000K curved monitor with a $400,000 car on hydraulic actuators for a racing seat?
Yes please!

24 Heures du Mans -

I prefer the stealthy design :)

2 Likes

WOOW poor Ferrari! :( lol.

I mean nomatter how cool a corvette or GT might look like.
An American car can never toutch a pure itallion sports icon that Ferrari is. haha.

Looks nice, but i´m personaly not a huge fan of matt color desigins.
It does need a bit of color on it, maybe some special green, orange or yellow.

Umm... yeah. I agree a Ford can never have the pedigree of a Ferrari, except where it really matters - ON THE TRACK!
The brand new Ford GT kicked Ferrari's ass in the 24 hours of Le Mans race this weekend... again.
On the 50th anniversary of the 1st time Ford did it in 1966.

USA! USA!

Yes sure thats true, but there are also other cars thats beats Ferrari on the track.
But its still a passion thing.
Its the same that i personaly dont like Lamborghini since they have become VAG property.

But of course Ford has made some icon´s in the past aswell.
And the GT is one of those, and i´m not sure if this new GT can toutch it in terms of passion.
I agree that the new GT looks stunning, but the design is something that i´m not fully sure about.

Maybe in icon.. but performance wise the GT is very solid

I am digging the turbos in the brake lights thing but at the same time I can see something going horribly wrong LOL

However I know from a few ford engineers that its mainly a platform to push the ecoboost v6 as far as it possibly can go

1 Like