Requesting Help - After installing GPU drivers the best I can do is reach recovery mode

Hello All,

I believe I have a X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 that has a flaky PCIe slot or I am missing some sort of software to get things right. Last year, my board was working fine until at random my computer hard locked, following distorted graphics. I was using a GTX 1080 at the time, after rebooting, got a code 43. Eventually the computer stopped posting all together. Eventually, I RMA’ed the board and got a new one. New board, either crashed while installing Nvidia drivers (offline) or when Windows does an update (online)

I’ve tried three different cards (because I wont risk the 1080 being fried in this environment which btw worked fine in a z590 board):

GTX 780
GT 1030
RX 570

All three cards work perfectly in a ASRock Rack VM machine so I ruled out its the card.

All three cards, and installation of drivers there of cause windows to fail booting until ultimately reaching recovery mode. Can’t fix start-up cant really do anything. Asrock support sucks. They “test” the board and say not our problem.

AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.2

Anyone got any ideas?

Have you checked each individual stick of RAM in this system? Just a thought, because that kinda sounds like a memory issue; DXE/Direct Execution starts at 0x4F, and most systems do a memory scan immediately before that IIRC.

I did, tried both, or each in slot 1. Passed a few runs of memtest as well. Rerunning memtest, will post results here.

1 Like

If you have a spare AM4 CPU I’d try that. Ryzen, from what I’ve seen and had to troubleshoot, is a rather delicate processor. At the very least try reseating it in its socket as a hail Mary.

I wish, reseated a couple of times. If I open a RMA and share with them my ASrock ticket is it possible for them to send a spare to test?

I don’t think there are any super dirty cheap Semperons for the x570 chipset so they probably won’t ship you something like a basic CPU.

ASRock just got back to me saying to try a different CPU/RAM/PSU. I’ve already done each stick individually. And has passed the first of two MemTest…passes. Will flip in a different PSU. If that doesnt work well, I might as well open an AMD ticket.

Yea, boy do I love this. Their answers are to try certain things I’ve provided VIDEO EVIDENCE of. This experience makes me never to want to buy an asrock product again, even if its not the board.

part of its a script. Another part is they wouldn’t have any of these processes and warranty if it were not illegal to not have it.

I’m curious what recourse or actions I can take against all parties if no one wants to take liability. The time and cost isn’t worth it, but I am an awful person that is willing to do things out of spite.

1 Like

Quote some statutory right directly at them if they don’t want to honour the warranty. In my neck of the woods my consumer rights are extremely strong. That and it would cost me virtually nothing (25 euro) to file something with my small claims court so most businesses here are quite flexible with warranty stuff. You might have a small claims court procedure you can go though and scare them into just honouring the warranty instead of paying a lawyer.

different PSU, still no luck, I think I am going to go to AMD now

Place tape over the last 8 lanes of your card

Yes I am serious

Does it matter the kinda tape, and also, why…

These boards PCI-e lanes are super flaky, something is inherently designed wrong on them

Let me ask Wendell real quick to see what kind of tape he used

Yeah he used regular scotch tape

whats my endgame with that, can’t go to asrock with that test I dont think lol

Ask for a replacement, all of the earlier models have that problem
Or use scotch tape

this is my second, will see if I can get a third if it works. If not, maybe AMD has some answers

Try the tape and see if it magically works, if it doesn’t then it might actually be something else