Replacing grass with a native meadow in my back yard

I recently got my pool removed, so I have a lot more grass than I used to. I hate grass.

There is a 500sqft section between some planters that is hard to mow because of tree roots. So I killed the grass (Kinda), tilled it, and spread native Texas seed.

Finding actually native seed turned out to be hard, lots of place claim to be native seed mixes, but then are full of invasive plants?

I ended up with Douglass King Seed’s Feed the B’s Mix

Here are pictures

After tilled, seed spread and raked topsoil over

Just 48 hours later, stuff started to show up

Now exactly 1 week later, things are REALLY starting to come up

I will post updates as they come

18 Likes

Now it’s time to go plant some Texas Weed! It’s not about just “getting high”, thc is a neuro-protectant (as is many other components in there) so really it’s just a protien-rich food source.

Its coming along pretty good. Every day there is a new thing that shows up or blooms

6 Likes

Still growing, bees seem to like it

9 Likes

Well its really going now, there is no stopping it. I need to build a little fence because it keeps falling over and trying to increase its area.

I’m sure there are some weeds in there, every now and then I pull stuff out I don’t want in there

7 Likes

Always loved Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata) that’s one of the plants that will fold it’s leaves when touched. Found it (or a relative) growing wild when I was an Ag scout out in Kansas.

Nice mix! Another thing to consider is drilling some holes in some wood or stacking some bamboo tubes to give some nests for native solitary bees to move in. Lots of fun to watch.

While solitary bees can bite and poke if you roughly handle them, they otherwise lack venomous stingers or any inclination to be defensive. I can walk alfalfa filled with with the loudly buzzing of leafcutter bees and have no issues ever, whereas things like honeybees can become briefly hostile when it’s overcast and suddenly becomes sunny. I’ve had to flee from a blueberry field a few times because of this, little bastards. Definitely prefer the company of solitary bees. Solitary bees also don’t inherently overexhaust the local nectar resources.

1 Like

Thank you for thinking of my brethren :honeybee:. Seriously tough, this part of the garden looks way more healthy now.

I would expect the bluebonnets to be more prominent.

Building a fence out of scrap 2x4’s ripped down the middle to make little 2x2’s, then I’ll use scrap fence pickets ripped down the middle attached to them

Posts getting monitored

6 Likes

7l0rzo

1 Like

Me too, but apparently they can take a little while to start showing up. Finger crossed for next year

Wow you did what I keep telling people they should do lol

The other day there was a hungry bumble bee looking for flowers in my gas station parking lot. Ii legit wanted to cry.

I hate humans.

1 Like

Don’t worry, things are getting better no matter how terrible the news always seems

More people and realizing we need to take care of the environment, and while some animals are in decline, a LOT are actually regaining population

Look at the bald eagle. In the 80’s it was almost completely gone! Now its doing great

Literally just had a bald eagle fly in front of my car a few weeks back. It came into view and made me completely forget about whatever bad driver I was ranting about at the time. Large birds of prey are very impressive in person.

1 Like

I know right? What a waste. Someone in need of a cause should get that bee to the starving African “bee eaters”.
Bee-eater - Wikipedia

Uhhhh no

Fence finished. Took 8 Cedar pickets and ripped them in half, and used scrap wood for the posts

It was a lot of work! The meadow had spread a lot

5 Likes

Unlimited bees over here, any time I look there it 50+ bees buzzing around

This is apparently a two-spotted longhorn bee

3 Likes

Your meadow is lovely, I can only imagine that those bees only had good words for you if they could speak. You have a nice yard, do you plan to plant produce as well? There are some plants that require little care and can do so much. Salad plants for example only need additional water when it has been very hot and give you lots of fresh salad on a daily basis.

1 Like

Thanks!

I have a bunch of fruit trees over on the other side, Lemon, Lime, Orange, Peach, Pear, Fig, Plumcot, Olive and Loquat

But yeah I would like to grow some produce etc, I just need to figure out where! The back right corner will be for a shed, so maybe somewhere in the middle of the back

I have thought about building some kind of covered greenhouse type structure off the back of the garage, and tapping into the 2 downspouts to collect water for it. This space is pretty much waste anyway

There is a fair amount of space between the back and the fruit trees, so I could get some good rows in there probably

3 Likes