Regrets

Do you ever have regrets? Maybe you bought something and didn't really want it? Maybe you could have bought something? Missed out on a movie or a one time thing you took for granted?

Personally, I didn't know that iBook G3 Snows were super rare and had the opportunity to get one when I got a spare imac to make mine work completely. When I got home I looked up the white ibooks and found that out and went back a few days later, gone. I can get one on EBay but that one was a whole 8 dollars....

Another regret is that I have missed a lot of concerts that I could have gone to with friends that I don't see anymore. They either have moved away or, sadly, died in car accidents. Those would have been good memories to hold onto.

Lastly, I regret not being able to handle the social pressures of college. I had a lot of problems getting in with crowds, teachers couldn't follow my line of thinking, and keeping with the social sway some teachers wanted (IE the entire class hold her as god and we get A's, not having any of that shit), it was all a mess. Good school, awful faculty, and a bunch of stuck up rich kids.

2 Likes

I never bought a 390...

#neverforget

2 Likes

Life in general, or technology specific?

I used to work in UK for a few months like 8-9 years ago. I had some paper issues and i wasn't able to stay. I wholeheartedly regret not sucking it up and fixing my papers back then and staying there.

Other than that i regret my social skills. Basically i regret not having any.

Technology wise - I bought second hand Silverstone Tundra TD03 from a review site. WORST BUY I HAVE EVER MADE... Noisy as hell, and i mean even at the lowest possible speed, i couldn't handle it. So noisy fans... It's completely different story, that there was an issue with the flow of the liquid...
I managed to sell it to a dude, who used parts of it for another project and got Noctua D14... My CPU can't hit 50 Celsius, and the fans are not the noctua ones. I just got the heatsink.

Other than that i don't really regret stuff i buy. If i doubt the purchase i just don't buy.

1 Like

Falling in love with a cunt who was using me to get intimately closer to my best friend (at the time), as well as cheating on me with guys that she met at parties, and talking about both constantly, without saying the obvious words which would make me realize it. It took me years to finally put everything together, with the help of her ex-friends telling me about what she was actually doing.

Fuck you Britney, for taking advantage of my naive self.

9 Likes

I regret nothing.

Learn from mistakes and use the knowledge for a better future.

3 Likes

Knowledge is the mistakes you made.

Looking back at it. I totally could have had a relationship with 10 women. ( Not all at the same time, I do not think they make beds big enough. ) But I always ghosted them because my parents are strict and they never wanted me to have a girlfriend. I regret not sticking up the finger to the establishment and doing what I wanted in life. It is my life after all.

But on the bright side I did not get my heart broken 10 times, so there is that.

As for tech I regret getting EA's Battlefront. And downloading/installing/and using Win 10.

3 Likes

Regrets?

Sometimes I regret all the stuff I've bought, but then I realize that I need to keep myself from going insane somehow, so the piles of computers in my bedroom serve as comfort objects.

In all seriousness, though, my biggest regret of all is the two months I spent dithering around in Utah. After my contract at my first job ended (helping to write grant applications before a deadline), and after the subsequent month-long family reunion we held, it was put to me that I should go out to Utah to stay with some relatives and work to save up for college, among other things. I drove the whole way there from New Hampshire.

Long story short, I landed a job at walgreens, making barely enough money to keep my car fueled, and found myself in limbo. I had spent an entire month looking, applying and waiting for the application to go through to even get the job in the first place. As soon as I received my second paycheck, enough to afford the gas to return home to New Hampshire, I called my old boss (who wanted me to continue working for him but had given me mixed signals about it before I left) and asked for my job back. He agreed wholeheartedly. I left the next morning, and hightailed it back to NH as fast as I could, and in the process alienating the family and acquaintances who had helped me acquire my job at WG. I have no regrets about leaving so abruptly. I regret having gone altogether. Does that make me a callous, uncaring asshole? probably. But I'm glad I got out of there when I did.

3 Likes

I bought a Killer NIC after a guy with a goatee from Tiger Direct sold it well. $80 waste of cash. Also walked away from a Jag XJS that was $4k.

Everything else not really too many variables that could change things. My life could be a lot worse all things considered.

2 Likes

I regret all the thousands of hours I spent on videogames, where I could have spent those hours improving my skills in my career.

Had I known what my passion is, then I would have. But hindsight is 20/20.

Don't get me wrong, an hour or two a day, is fine. But if you spend 8 hours a day, playing video games, then it's a huge fucking waste of time.

I feel like a lot of gamers, inevitably come to this conclusion, later in life. Then regret it.

However, if a VR game that is totally transformative, like a Witcher 3 level game, where you can get lost in it... Fuck it.... I'm playing the shit out of that.

3 Likes

I bought a 980ti when pascal launched

/thread

6 Likes

this is a function of how much you paid. if it was around 300-350 it's not tee bag

500 plus a r9 270x

1 Like

bruh. fury x's were going for like 335 around then. wtf.

1 Like

well technically just before pascal, not after, whatev

it was SoulFallen's and he needed money to pay off his kidney surgery

3 Likes

That's sad, but I know what you mean. I never liked undergrads, and hated college during that period. But I was rather advanced academically, so the stuck up rich kids were never too much of a trouble for me. But they did get on my nerves. Grad school was a different experience though... I worked with two world famous scientists who were also extremely supportive. And they only had one other student working under them, and I got along very well with her.

But conversely, my regret is that I let a bunch of spoilt brats ruin my undergrad years at Cambridge. I never took full advantage of being on that famous campus, and because the rich assholes got on my nerves so much I mostly kept to my room, worked on my thesis, and never much went out or walked around the city. I was there for three years, and all I saw of the place was the five minute walk from my room to the campus, and the library. Shouldn't have let others ruin my time... sigh

not getting the sun e450 lol.

some other minimal stuff cause remember retarded things for longer than i ever would need to

I have so many regrets .... and some people will not like for some reasons.

1. I know one regret I have is bringing children into this world when (a) the world is **** and I knew that and (b) I also knew I had mental illnesses they could end up with. I love my kids but I should not have had them.
  2. I regret wasting my time yelling and screaming at certain people in my life. If I dealt with them maturely I might have gotten better results in some situations. Likely not many but some. Also I could have said that hey at least I dealt with the situations totally properly.
  3. I regret that I did not file the formal complaint against my lawyer, Ian Bruce, who broken attorney/client privilege when I told him to not speak to my parents on matters concerning my daughter. He was my lawyer and yet had a meeting with them without me present.
  4. I wish I left my wife and fiancee sooner than I did. A lack of self love / good self esteem played a part in that.
  5. I wish I would have gotten removed from the self ban sooner so I'd play blackjack instead of betting on horses which I know most nights is a losing proposition but I didn't get this done sooner because of laziness and not wanting to spend money on ID I needed to get it done.
  6. I wish I learned to drive. I still can in the future but whatever.
  7. I regret not having found the will to work on my stomach muscles and gotten ridden of my gut this summer because then I might have taken my aunt and uncle up on the offer of working for them at the farm with the horses. I had lost loads of weight and gotten into shape but having that gut was really bothering me.
  8. I regret being born because in certain situations with social anxiety even when I was in the right they looked at me as a disable person and ignored my feelings and rights and I have had so much taken away from me.
  9. I regret not going to see certain musicians that performed in my hometown because I would have had to go alone.
  10. I regret not finishing high school sooner. I had the opportunity to but instead of realizing getting it done sooner might help me down the road I scoffed at that and only looked at my illness and said screw education and by doing this when I finished JobStart they could not place me because I did not have my high school diploma or equivalent.
  11. I regret not saving a small percentage of all money I made or was given over my lifetime. Even if I save a buck or two here or there it would have helped now or in the future.
  12. I regret still not having bought a trombone. I enjoyed playing it in grade school and high school. One needs different types of hobbies and this is one I should have kept on doing. I still can get a trombone in the future but like many things I will likely put it off til I am dead.

So many regrets. And i still seem to continually do and say things I later regret.
I would happily do the Johnny Mnemonic thing and erase large sections of my earlier memories, although I wonder if I would lose all the quality time I had with an Apple ][+ computer.

I empathize with a few stories people have written here, probably my biggest regret is not being myself more earlier on. I have always been a nerd, but never really had any nerd friends. I would always try and mix with many different crowds. If I managed that, I most likely would have stuck with Uni, actually had a circle of friends that I might have cared about. Life could have turned out significantly differently. Might not seem that significant, but it is the conclusion I have come to assessing the root cause of why i didn't go as far as i potentially could have.

@DeViLzzz With regards to regretting being born, that is totally out of your control. I get it, been there as a kid. I have plenty of social anxiety, so I just don't feel the need to go out and surround myself with people. Hell, even in a place like this full of people with social anxiety, I still seem to feel out of place.
The more i went out to pubs and stuff like that, the less I enjoyed it. So my go to phrase when people want me to go out drinking or to the movies is usually "no, I hate people, remember?". Work is my social place. If I need more, I can always tune into TeamPGP. Close enough :)

Hmm playing games. I am not sure if I regret it, I mostly enjoy it. I have played some fantastic games with great stories, that i constantly think about. That part is invaluable. I tend to stop playing the same game after a while when my hands start cramping up. Stupid D3/BL2 etc. I tend to self govern, and just replace that habit with another one, such as watching gif compilations on YouTube. I need that motivation headband thing that will let me focus on a task/hobby for more than 5 minutes. Electric shocks can do this right?

You can always get a trombone, even if you get one from a pawn shop. I hear playing music is quite relaxing. Unfortunately, I never learned an instrument. Next major regret. So I wouldn't really know. And yeah, i know they say "if you can play a CD, you can play a guitar", but bullocks to that. I wouldn't want to play a guitar to just be crap at it.

@KemoKa73 Sometimes you just have to leave i guess? Not sure if its the same thing, but it took me like 3 goes to leave home. Couldn't come soon enough. Eventually i managed to leave home and the country, pretty happy with how that turned out.

I regret not getting donuts today.

1 Like