[REDACTED]: The CaseLabs Magnum SMA8 Build

It's getting steamy in here.

2 Likes

So hawt.

2 Likes

DBZ, beer, and putting the case together.

Is this what heaven is like?

The packaging is seriously amazing.

The album is up.

Bit of a hold on things. The only CPU cooler I have right now is a 280mm AIO and the top of the case only accepts 120mm fans.

I might try mounting it in the front, using fans zip ties. If I can, then I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Already ordered an H105i. After that we'll be waiting until Ryzen drops.

3 Likes

Sorry for the wait.

So, I'm definitely going with Ryzen. Going to go for an 1800X if I can get my hands on one.

Going to go with Monsoon MMRS for the reservoir and pump. Not sure yet on radiators.

I moved my system into the new case last night. Swapped out the Corsair H110 for a Corsair H100i V2. I should have some pictures up sometime later this weekend.

I did hit a bit of a snag. The EVGA SuperNova 1000w P2 power supply I ordered, would appear to be DOA. It will turn on if I use the included motherboard cable jumper, but it does absolutely nothing when plugged into the motherboard itself. (I know it isn't my motherboard.....because it's running right now as I'm typing this, off of the Seasonic 750 X-Series PSU that it was previously using.).

Finally, I've traded my 1tb WD Black HDD for a 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD. I say traded because the HDD appears to have died, as I cannot get it to show up in BIOS or in the OS itself. Oh well, I had backups and It's an acceptable trade off.

Pics coming SOON.tm

1 Like

Teaser:

Can anyone say, "soooooo much room for activities"?

just so everyone knows, that's the motherboard I have been using for a while. Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming-5 mATX motherboard

7 Likes

No, but I can say "hotdog down a hallway".

I could curl up and sleep in that case.

6 Likes

Oh, and unsurprisingly, 5 Noctua 120mm IPPC 3000rpm fans sound hilarious at full blast.

I can't wait to hear what 13 of them sound like (4 on top, 4 in the front, 1 in the rear, and 4 down below)

3 Likes

Just looked up dimensions of that case.

My S340, my entire case, could fit inside the motherboard chamber of that SMA8, with room to spare.

Jesus Christ in a handbasket that's huge.

5 Likes

Damn.

I like how it worked out though. I can fit it behind my monitors and still see the insides. I can just barely see the backplate of my 970 in there.

I was looking at those fans for my next build, how do they sound when you drop the RPM?

It's hard to say. Corsair Link keeps the two on the radiator at about 1000-1400 RPMs even when I set it to "quiet" mode. The others are running off the motherboard set at "normal", whatever that means. Not sure if I'm hearing the fans from the pump header, if I am hearing the pump itself, or if I am hearing the case fans. Doesn't seem too loud to me, then again I have a fan running all the time in my room anyways, and am almost always wearing big can headphones.

Speaking of which, I need to install the Gigabyte software for this motherboard, see if I can get sound down any lower.

Corsair Link seems to like to pulse the fans up and down for some reason. My CPU temps aren't ever going over 40c so...meh?

Cool, the pump is the loudest thing in my current system, which isn't too bad.

If it's quiet enough that you can't tell what is making the noise, then that sounds good to me.

I haven't used Corsair link, but you should be able to stop the pulsing by using a custom fan curve rather than the presets. I'd say your temps are hitting a point where the fans jump up in rpm, then it cools down quickly so lowers the fans again. You just need to move that point to better match your systems normal operating temps.

I run my pump & fans at around 60% until the temps hit 50c, then start to ramp up the speeds. So nothing really makes any noise at all until I'm gaming.

Looking forward to seeing your build come together.

2 Likes

Well it is worth pointing out that I have horrible hearing (tinnitus fucking sucks).

And I've yet to figure out how to set custom fan curves in Corsair Link. So far all I can control is the LED on the pump/waterblock.

That thing is huge. That mb looks tiny in that.

2 Likes

The motherboard compartment is tall enough to fit a Corsair Air 540, not wide enough obviously but still.

What really surprised me was how much smaller the EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 is compared to my ASUS Strix GTX 970.

I'll post pics when I figure out how to change the colors on the 1080. The nice part is that if the 1080ti from EVGA comes out in the next 84 days, I can get that in exchange for my 1080 and only have to pay the difference.

The 1080 running at night. I need to figure out how to control the lighting on it.

I also need to get a decent camera and learn how to use it.

1 Like

Catchy News Title:

I have ordered the motherboard and the CPU. I am currently waiting on the RMA process for the EVGA Supernova P2 1000w psu I ordered.

The motherboard I ordered:

I also ordered a 7700k.

Things left to order/purchase/acquire:
Hard Tubing
Tubing cutter
Tubing bending kit
CPU block
GPU block (when it releases?)
RAM (G.Skill Trident Z
Cables
Zip ties. A lot of zip ties.

Decided to take a chance and try a post test of everything with the EVGA PSU, and the cablemod cable kit I got for it. As you can see, it works. Although I was unable to get any signal from the HDMI port on the back of the CPU. Not sure why. The error code display thingy displayed a SATA device error which is not unexpected since there is no SATA device installed. Should I be concerned about the lack of output from the HDMI? Everything lights up, no sounds or smells. And it lighting up was more than it (the PSU0) did for my Z97 mobo and cpu.

Currently waiting for some downloads to finish so I can back those games up, before making the switch.

Edit: I forgot to switch the input on my monitor to HDMI lol

4 Likes

That motherboard is gorgeous.

2 Likes