[REDACTED]: The CaseLabs Magnum SMA8 Build

So. I am going to be building a new rig. I can't say for 100% certain when I will get all the parts to complete it, but Fairly soon (as in, sometime in February) I am going to be ordering the case.

The case I will be going with, will be the Caselabs Magnum SMA8. When I get it, I will be posting pictures of it here as a bit of a teaser for the eventual final build.

When I do, feel free to ask for any closeup pictures of any parts of the case that you might want, and I will do my best to provide them.

Planned components

Fans: All fans will be Noctua black fans.
CPU: Either the best Ryzen CPU I can get, or X99 or possibly X299 if that comes out soon enough. Only time will tell.
Motherboard: I really want to go with a workstation grade board. That or possibly a Gigabyte overclocking board (SOC Force, etc.).

GPU: This is the hard part. I am going with Vega. Why? Because I'm sick of Nvidia's (there isn't a word strong enough) poor multi-monitor "support". I'm sick and tired of my PC crashing every other time I switch between normal triple monitor and triple monitor surround. Depending on my mood, I MIGHT also throw in an EVGA 1080p, because I love their new stock cooler to death. That thing is straight up sexy.

Power supply: This is where I am at a bit of a loss. I was going to go with Seasonic, but I have heard some grumblings that Seasonic is no longer the god-emperor of PSU's. I love them for their 7 year warranty, but if they're quality is slipping, I need to have some alternatives. I am more than open to suggestions and discussion on this bit. Keep in mind that I will need to do custom cabling for this.

Storage: A LOT of SSD's including M.2's as well as the standard kind. Maybe one giant HDD to use as a backup drive.

Cooling: Custom hardline tubing water cooling loops. Going balls out here. I will definitely need to update this later, once I get some of the components so I can get a better idea of where things will go and how I will do things. This may come much, much later in the build.

Hopefully I will be able to upgrade to at least three 1440p monitors, or, barring that, a single ultrawide 1440p monitor, with two of my current 1080p ASUS 60hz monitors in portrait mode on the sides, with the third 1080p ASUS 60hz monitor on top. I seriously want to get the same kind of monitor arms that @wendell has (Any advice you can give me Wendell, would be appreciated. I know you are busy). Which can be seen in this video that I have time stamped for you.

I like to think that you can tell, merely by the sound of the arms, that they are seriously high quality products.

I am debating on lighting and coolant. Part of me wants to go with fluorescent coolant of some kind, but something that's still semi-transparent (pastel coolant is hideous and idiotic, in my opinion. You'd be better off just painting the damned tubing a solid color and not hurting your waterblocks and possibly the pumps themselves. If they clog up the waterblocks, which is well documented, imagine what they do to your pumps.). The overall theme here will be something that looks like something a scientist or engineer would build, but also something "heavy duty", or industrial. I want it to look like something built to function, and function reliably. I don't want it to just look like another custom PC, I want it to also look sort of machine like, but not "steampunk". I definitely want the lighting to be hidden, but also extremely bright (I want the inside of the case to "glow".), but I might just go with plain, non-dyed water as the coolant.

I'm not sure how better to convey my overall theme. I really want to replace the stock window in the Caselabs case with that glass that has a grid pattern in it. Not sure if I will be able to do that. Bear in mind, nothing about this build will be "minimalist". I might go with a custom glass reservoir that has a "scientific" feel to it. I was thinking of something that has a glass coil inside of it. I have tossed around the idea of using glass tubing as well, with metal fixtures. It's possible, but would be extremely difficult to do (there are fittings out there that would actually work with glass. I can't remember the name) after I researched it a few years ago, and I've decided I don't have the thousands of dollars needed to pay a professional glass worker to do the work needed.

I'm open to suggestions and discussion of course, this is just a teaser that will be updated as the build progresses.

7 Likes

Sounds good, I'm like:

3 Likes

That case has been haunting my dreams for a while. As has this build.

May the computer gods bless the mail system, and speed my forthcoming funds.

1 Like

Watching this thread.

1 Like

So, I found something that sort of illustrates the concept of what I want to do.

I love the industrial feel of this design. I just need to get the case and figure out how to implement it. My current issue is that I need to get to a bank and open an account in order to make my funding usable. The problem there is that almost all banks seem to have retarded hours that don't take into account how many people work the entire time they are open.

4 Likes
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-lounge-2017-02-february-forever-alone-in-infinite-sadness-edition/112347/17735?u=trikstari&source_topic_id=112539

Thanks for the quick brief.

Seriously, I greatly appreciate it because I'm considering dumping A LOT of money into a rig right now. Currently the rig I was considering building with X99 is around $3600, but with AMD pricing being cheaper, that would leave me with A LOT more room for custom water cooling. If the Mobo's turn out to be equally "less cheap" then I will be able to focus FAR more on custom water cooling components.

That price did include a new monitor, and did not include a new chair (merax chairs are garbage pot metal, do not by them. I should not be able to bend a "bar" of metal that supports the arm rests, that is almost a half inch thick, with my bare hands)

I have decided that I will wait. I will buy my new montior, chair, and the CaseLabs SMA8 magnum, and migrate the components of my current rig into that. Be prepared for some hilarious pictures of a mATX Gigabyte gaming 5 motherboard, and an ASUS Strix 970 GPU, along with a 280mm corsair AIO cooler, inside a CaseLabs Magnum SMA8.

To thread followers, I should have the case ordered by tomorrow, and hopefully it will arrive this week, and pictures SHOULD be up next week.

HOWEVER, there may be issues, if the cables for my current PSU do not allow me to install my current build into the CaseLabs case. If this is the case, I will at least post pictures of the motherboard and GPU in the case just to show how much room it has.

Total rig budget, including new monitor (1440p and 144hz at least), chair, and POSSIBLY a keyboard, is $5000

1 Like

cool your loops with ferrofluid.

2 Likes

Ladies, gentlemen, tri-gender pyrofoxes, Attack Helicopters,

We have shipping confirmation of a CaseLabs SMA8 Magnum in Gunmetal.

4 Likes

REEEEEEE!

Keep us updated!

2 Likes

... brothers and sisters, comrades, friends, ...

3 Likes

.....intel employees, the 1 per centers, enemies, haters, .......

3 Likes

....members of the political elite, antifa, AIs, cyborgs....

EDIT: Apparently, it's shitpost tuesday!

3 Likes

I really like that look.

I was going to suggest that maybe there is some way to use laboratory Pyrex graduated cylinders as water reservoirs?

As for lighting, I saw and loved this new product today. RGB+W LED strips.

1 Like

poltergeist voice It's heeerrreeee

I really wish I had taken tomorrow off. Not putting it together until I have the time to take it slow, do it right, and take pictures.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Oh ! Ya ! Got your case :) Put some wheels on it. LOL

1 Like

How are you getting likes for a photo of a box?

3 Likes

That case is HEUG. I want to see how many mITX motherboards could be tiled inside of that thing.

1 Like

I can only give you a peek. I have to work today sadly.

...I'm hooommmeee

2 Likes