[REDACTED]: The CaseLabs Magnum SMA8 Build

Yes. Yes it is. I didn't realize it had LED's in it until I got it here.

They need to make that a common series of boards. The aircraft carrier theme is kinda awesome. Thinking about how I could paint a GPU backplate to match.

3 Likes

Just purchased a single 480 rad and a 120 rad for the CPU. Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTR in black carbon. Along with a Bitspower black-sparkle finish D5 pump mounting kit, and a Watercool WCP D5 Vario pump.

Still waiting on the reservoir. I need to get a ruler, and make a cardboard facsimile so I can see what size I will need to mount the reservoirs horizontal next to the motherboard.

3 Likes

Ice Ice Baby!!!!!

1 Like

Just got both rad's, the pump, and a pump mount in the mail.

Also ordered a reservoir today. MMRS 150mm warp core frosted. This will be a slow process to put together because I'm not 100% sure of what all I need to order. I'm also seriously hoping that the 150mm reservoir will be just big enough to fit next to the motherboard, mounted horizontally. I know it's probably bad for the pump to mount it like that, or just a pain in the ass to bleed, but not many people mount them like that and I think it will look good.

Also have to order fittings and plugs and stuff.

The wait, continues.

3 Likes

300mm clear plastic ruler for scale (which came with my pipe bending kit actually)

Finally got some screws that are the proper length to mount the fans, which means I can start figuring out where I want things to go.

If the image looks a little weird, it's because I had to rotate the picture. The camera on my phone continues to annoy me. Anyone have any suggestions for a decent camera? Preferably under $200

2 Likes

So, is this 120mm radiator too ridiculous?

1 Like

Nice to be able to remove the top panel of the case. Makes it way easier to install the fans and radiator in pull.

Unfortunately, there's no way the 120mm radiator will work right there. The tank on the radiator is too tall and in the way of the fittings for the bigger radiator. If you flip it, the tank actually touches the backplate on the GPU.

I love the way this looks.

ermm ... that's the top, right? So you have your fans in a push-push config? Looks like the ones on the top of the radiator are pulling air in, whereas the ones on the bottom of the radiator (visible in the first recent post) are trying to push air out.

1 Like

Damn, you're right.

Good thing I'm just mocking stuff up this weekend. I think I might put the radiator up front anyways in intake so that I can still use the 120mm radiator in the back (between the GPU and CPU in the loop order). Only thing I'm not sure of is if the pump is powerful enough for that.

And I'm not doing push-pull on anything. Just one sided fan configurations. So they'd be intaking air.

1 Like

I feel better about my build after seeing all the extra space you have :slight_smile:

1 Like

That looks like a mini ITX board, I think you could fit an entire fleet in that case.

It's coming along nicely though.

1 Like

Having used copper blocks before, I would have gone with the nickel plated ones.

I plan on using straight water with Biocide and an invisible UV dye that turns blue under UV.

Wouldn't there be a problem with nickel blocks and non-nickel (I think brass) reservoirs?

I ran water + kill a coil. The negative is just if you ever plan to resell they look like trash and I was never able to clean to a good level.

1 Like

I don't plan on selling.

I'm building in drain and fill ports, so changing the water out regularly shouldn't be that difficult. The system is heavy as a motherfucker but meh, I need the exercise

I plan on moving to the Caselabs Bullet BH4 from my Mercury S8. Did the large build for awhile not want to go on the small side, was going to do NcaseM1 but wasnt seeing any good ITX boards so I just got the Asrock x99 itx board to set my wife up with a good rig, and figured mATX is going to support my need for 10gbe better. Now just need some good mATX boards to come out so I don't have to go Intel(either AM4 or w/e the Threadripper is gonna be). But I will say the weirdest thing about caselabs cases is how light the panels feel from what I was expecting.

1 Like

I just can't get over how many freaking screws there are.

I might do a small build some day. I wouldn't mind trying one of their smaller cases.

Speaking of case stuff, I need to find a place to cut me a tempered glass window for this thing. The acrylic just doesn't cut it and is already completely scratched up.

I didn't have to build my S8, got it for steal from my old coworker that got stationed at japan so he downgraded in his build size. But yeah definitely lots of spare hardware cant imagine having to build it from scratch. Need to tear my build down and sell it, but stuck till I get my BH4 and a new build for it, planning on getting a Vega card as they should be shorter and allow for more rads. Gonna have so many much spare parts probably going to try and sell a 90% loop to someone for a good price so they can get dip their feet into water cooling. 2 DDC pumps 3 rads tons of soft tube fittings sitting around as I moved on to hard tubing ect.

1 Like

Nice.

It's not that hard to put the case together, it just takes forever because it's big, and there are a metric fuck-ton of screws holding each corner of the case together. The screws, for some insane reason are mostly non-magnetic. I'm guessing it's because the threads are formed out of the metal of each of the aluminium panels, and you probably wouldn't want to use a steel screw on aluminium threads considering the differences in hardness and tensile strength between those two metals.

What I still can't get over is how nice and sturdy the freaking motherboard tray is.

@anon37371794 Look what you made me do. So many screws....

2 Likes