Recommended FLAC Audio Player

Hi, just wondering what FLAC players are recommended for OS X/macOS.

VLC, QuickTime, and Foobar2000 do not display album artwork (well, VLC Media Player will, but it’s not as friendly as how other media players do where they have it shown the entire time or by default etc…). And then iTunes is a fucking pussy and decides to not support FLAC at all, so it’s not even an option/in the question.

Musicbee maybe ?

I use xion but album art and all that other nonsense is not important to me.

1 Like

link?

You care about album art… no point ?

Looks like they’re Windows only. :\
Checked their download page and app store -didn’t find anything

ohhhhh

5char

Being Specific helps… not aware that this was a linux centric thing. You mentioned quicktime… are you out of your mind ?

minor support for FLAC was added in macOS High Sierra using QuickTime

This is an Apple thing… Gotta ya. I missed the tag on the mac. My bad and apoligize for wasting your time. I will however push you to use anything else.

1 Like

I was beginning wonder hahaha

A little wading into the mac verse

So we have ogg and Monkey which rings a bell with me for some reason.

Then there is the Kodi route.

An old general list…

Vox looks nice. Will it work with the latest ?

wtf there’s WinAmp for macOS fuckin… wuuuuut

(I fucking hate WinAmp, but I will keep note of it)

I loved winamp from the windows side back in the day. I lean more towards a player that can be made to look like anything.

Anyway the Xion link…

http://www.xionplayer.com/

Ohhhhh interesting… WinAmp for Mac does not support FLAC natively…
very interesting…

It is not interesting… Normal Apple

There isn’t a lot special players for high end audio, I only know of Audirvana which is also damn expensive for a piece of software that plays music… Not a recommendation, just a “this exists”.

…tomahawk music player plays my flac files fine.

• 1 forgotten that I have played this …

https://www.tomahawk-player.org/

I wonder why apple can’t just make iTunes play flacs already…

Im currently using MusicBee (on Windows). It’s great. But then again Windows only and on Linux i have to use something else. I tried tomahawk. Didn’t find it great. It didn’t even manage to import all the music that was in the Music folder i gave to it, as it didn’t look into every folder within the folder (and there didn’t seem to be an option to change this behavior) and i did not want to change my entire folder layout for it. So r.i.p. that program. It also never will do anything more than it does as nobody develops it further, at this current time. Unless … (you) pick it up yourself as it’s open source. So that’s something. But it seems to be c++ and i never really worked with that language.

Kinda still looking for the best Music player that can ideally

• Save my Music on my NAS with smb share, or anything really, just nothing redicolous
  • Sync playlists between all computers running that player from the same NAS again
  • Ability to create local copies of the entire library without breaking playlists and not doing stupid things when the NAS is ‘gone’. Should just hide the stuff while im not in my network, should play local files over NAS files if both are available. Should pick highest quality available copy for playback.
  • Play mp3 and flac at least (don’t personally use anything else, however it would be reassuring if it would basically play EVERYTHING or close to)
  • Work on Linux and Windows (at least) better mac too
  • Look pretty and don’t be overfly cluttered with features i don’t need or want
  • Sync my music and playlists with Android while converting flac’s to mp3’s as an option (maybe another option to locally save the mp3 conversion files to speed up the process next time at the cost of some amount of space). Also the same feature should be available when copying the NAS library to my local machine.

I think to get the music player of my dreams… I might have to do it myself. But im too much of a potato to do that at this current point in time.

Foobar will display album artwork if you have it locally fyi. You can also specify the art if it can’t find it in the folder.

1 Like