Recommend Graphics Card for 1440p - non gaming

You will be able to watch YouTube just fine.

Basically a more efficient way to encode video compared to standard h.264.

If you can watch YouTube videos now you will be able to watch YouTube videos with a new GPU.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I clicked on your link and it took me to the YouTube engineering and developer’s blog. There were several YouTube videos on that site that I was able to play. Does this me that I am OK with the new AMD card even though my current one is a Nvidia GT 430?

2 Likes

Yes, this guy right here moderator! :wink:

What is that supposed to mean?

1 Like

Yes you’ll be ok, just won’t have hardware decode.

Sorry for these newbie questions. When is the hardware decode thing useful? Is it for gaming or is it to play movies from various formats?

the point is you are missing a feature that would be used.
instead you have to use the CPU or get a lower quality video.

you can get a product that has this feature for less money. that’s why i tell you this because this may matter to you.

1 Like

NVIDIA supports freesync too.

K600’s are very solid. They’ll do high res video very well, last a long time, and have business driver support.

Really?

I am way out of the loop then.

Yeah they enabled it about a year ago.

Technology changes too fast for me to keep up with it :older_man:

/s

the really sad thing is that freesync works better with nvidia too.
i’m using freesync with an AMD card which replaced an nvdiia card currently and AMD needs to reinitialise the screen when freesync is disabled this is not needed when using nvidia.

BTW. gsync will work with AMD/intel too. not sure if it is already there but it is planned. which is just nice. old screens need a firmware update and AMD/intel have to support adaptive sync which is very similar to freesync.

Uh, wut?
Nvidias take on FreeSync is half assed from the confused questions I got from a few friends of mine.

You got that backwards.
Adaptive sync is the technology, FreeSync, FreeSync 2 (or whatever it is called) and G-Sync are the implementations.

Let me clue you in… They rebranded freesync as GSync compatible. There, that’s Nvidia for you. We support GSync compatible monitors…

1 Like

For dual boot, I would recommend a GTX 1050 because the GT 1030 will start struggling with the desktop compositor (on both OSes) as more intensive desktop effects get added.

Hardware Decode doesn’t work in Linux anyway.
For Browsers that is, pretty sure standalone software does.

Honestly IDK what the fuss is about Hardware Acceleration. I get it, it’s nice to have. But he can currently play videos just fine it seems, so Hardware Acceleration is literally just nice to have and not required.

not saying nvidia isn’t confusing just saying there implementation currently works better.

i never said adaptive sync is an implementation of freesync just that they are every similar.
freesync is not the same as adaptive sync or a direct implementation they are just very very similar.

so using “no” power at all to play a video or turning your CPU into heat is something you don’t understand. a VP9 QHD 60 HZ stream needs quite some decoding power.
getting better video quality because browser will fallback to h264 for hardware acceleration is another thing you don’t understand why you don’t want this?
BTW. you are missing that he is dual booting with windows so even if linux can’t use hardware acceleration he still has win 10.

and linux is not living in the stone age… times change.

I do understand that, but given his current situation (i.e. able to play videos just fine) that is still just a nice to have and not a requirement.

I read that blog, but that doesn’t change that it is still not main stream supported. And given the authors apparent state of knowledge I wouldn’t advise him to go for a development version. Nevermind that we don’t even know which Distro he uses.