Recomended e-mail-service?

i want to switch my private email from gmail to a more secure alternative. What are you guys using / what do you recommend? A friend recomended mailbox.org to me. Does anyone have any experience with them?

1 Like

I would recommend ProtonMail. I use it for a few of my accounts, and haven’t had any issues with it.

I have no experience with mailbox.org.

8 Likes

+1 for proton.

With protonmail do you only send emails to other proton users or people with whom you have shared pgp keys? How does end to end encryption work with general email use?

An email sent from one ProtonMail account to another is automatically encrypted with the public key of the recipient. Once encrypted, only the private key of the recipient can decrypt the email. When the recipient logs in, their mailbox password decrypts their private key and unlocks their inbox.

Emails sent from ProtonMail to non-ProtonMail email addresses may > optionally be sent in plain text or with end-to-end encryption. With encryption, the email is encrypted with AES under a user-supplied password. The recipient receives a link to the ProtonMail website on which they can enter the password and read the decrypted email. ProtonMail assumes that the sender and the recipient have exchanged this password through a backchannel.[32] Such emails can be set to self-destruct after a period of time.[37]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProtonMail

So, yes…

1 Like

If relative privacy of your emails is important to you, there is no substitute for rolling your own. https://workaround.org/ispmail/stretch has a postfix/dovecot/rspamd guide that you can work through in a few hours. It’s pretty straight forward.

1 Like

I’ve been running my own with Mail-in-a-Box.

Bonus points that it comes with Nextcloud. :slight_smile: One command scripted install process, and lots of little things that make it nice, like (by default) emailing me when updates need to be applied.

It’s the least painful self-hosted mail thingy I’ve ever seen.

If you still need a service, I’ve also had good experiences with Kolab Now but they charge on a per-alias basis which would have been prohibitively expensive since I generate a unique email address for every account.

4 Likes

Does this have any advantages over the mentioned Mail-in-a-Box or iRedMail (except that this sounds like way more fun)?

I looks like both iredmail and mailinabox both setup postfix & dovecot for you plus extras. So their advantage seems to be that they get you further faster.

Thanks for the suggestion. Its now up and running. But all mails i send to a gmail account go straight to spam. I have set up SPF, DKIM, DMARC and rDNS. I get a 10/10 at mail-tester.com. Have you had similar issues / Do you know a way to get around this?

Send an email to [email protected]. That will bounce back an email that shows details about your SPF record, rIP, DKIM and SpamAssassin checks. Also if you look at the message source of the emails that gmail puts in a junk folder, gmail adds the reason for treating it as junk.

2 Likes

I get the following result:
SPF check: pass
“iprev” check: pass
DKIM check: pass
SpamAssassin check: ham

The reason from gmail ( translated):

This message is very similar to previous spam messages

That sounds like something akin to pyzor, which hashes messages, flagged your email as spam. Was your email something really short like Subj: test Body: test ?

No, i have sent mails with subj like: Hey a new message. And with a bodies that contain random copy pasted goethe poems.

hmm. With the email that you sent to port25.com, the bounce email gave spamassassin specifics like:

Result:         ham (-2.0 points, 5.0 required)

was your score close to 5? So maybe a slightly different configuration with different weights would have scored your email over the edge?

Funnily enough it gave back exactly the same result of -2.

With whom is your server hosted? Maybe your IP is on a black list that mail-tester did not check. https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx checks a little over 100 lists.

No hits.

Then I am out of ideas. You could send an email to testclient at danger-rocket dot com and I can tell you what my server thinks about your setup, but it sounds like you have complied with best practices. GMAIL has a support form at https://support.google.com/mail/contact/msgdelivery to report problems. You may want to try that.