RDP server

I’m looking for an RDP server that takes the screen of the sources I set and exposes them through the RDP protocol.

A bit like Guacamole but it doesn’t work via the web with the RDP protocol.

xrdp?

A far as I know xRDP is for single machine.

I’m looking for a remote desktop gateway that takes the screen of multiple sources and exposes them through the RDP protocol.

I think this solution can use part of xRDP but I don’t think xRDP takes any other input than the screen of the machine where it is installed.

xrdp is the server side. It sounds like you’re looking for an RDP client/viewer… What features are you expecting from the gateway if it “doesn’t work via the web”. Lots of remote viewers let you connect to different desktops via tabs, Remmina/mRemoteng/etc. Are you looking to have a tiled single pane of glass overview? I think I saw a paid product that reported to do this.

What am I missing?

2 Likes

No.

I try to be more precise, “doesn’t work via web browser but using microsoft RDP protocol”.

I believe this description is the most accurate.

“takes the screen” HOW exactly? Looking for an IP-KVM?

The “screen” xRDP shows can be anything. It could be “tak[ing] the screen” from Guacamole, or automatically connecting via RDP client to other systems.

We clearly don’t understand what you want.

VNC, SPICE, SSH

The ideal would be in direct link to KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine), to minimize latency.

How exactly? :smile:

this sounds like you are trying to roll your own VDI? is VDI the type of environment you are working to achieve here?

If you want to call it that.

What I’m looking for is something like Guacamole but instead of exposing screens with HTML5, use a client-compatible RDP protocol found on all Windows computers.

Install xrdp and create an account on the Linux system that, autostarts virt-manager at full-screen (or any other program you like).

This?

mRemoteNG is a client, I’m not looking for a client.

It seems like a rudimentary solution.

Is this a way to tell me that you don’t know (or don’t exist) a solution for my request?

This, or pay for a nomachine license …

I use nomachine as my backup for when teamviewer fails me. Its quite nice

We are struggling to understand why you wouldn’t go with a straightforward solution, it may look rudimentary to you because of your expertise or understanding of it, it may look trivial to someone that is already using it, and only you know what’s the intended use
Commercial solutions exist, and depending on the operating system you choose to run them on they come with a steep price in license and consulting fees, but we usually do not advertise for commercial companies here, so it may take a while for someone to come out with more suggestions

PS:
can you dial down the passive-aggressiveness a notch or two?

on windows it is just a terminal services server. other software, like citrix, can do the same thing. as well as full VDI through vmware or any VDI software.

Low cost solutions like XRDP on linux with multiple usernames would work fine. you could bind the linux server to Active Directory and use real network logins as well.

i think the question here really is what is your goal? and you seem to only state a possible configuration again, not what your goal really is.

1 Like

My bad English probably doesn’t help.
I assure you it was not my intention.

I am not interested in commercial solutions.

I’m probably not explaining myself in an understandable way, but I don’t know how to express myself better.

Ok, fair enough, let’s try to sort out what you need:

You want the equivalent of a ‘terminal server’, that is, a remote machine that can:

• Authenticate different, multiple users
  • Have the users connect through an RDP client/the RDP protocol
  • give the remote users connecting in a GUI from where they can:
    • Kick off remote terminal sessions/ssh/whatever
    • run GUI based programs
      and:

These requirements I am afraid are not well served by the open source community, mainly because 99% of this type of market is based on Windows solutions and require multiple licenses, one for each user connecting to the server for the Microsoft OS and one or more for the layer on top of that that implements connectivity (Citrix/Tycothic/you name it)
There are plenty of paid solutions that give you thata based on RDP

As you already discovered, in the open source world there are solutions, but most of them do not use RDP as the communication protocol (because of licensing), the ones tha use VNC are otfen limited to one session per server, the ones that use X are not suited for slow links/high latencies

The only solution that came to mind in the open source world that I know of is Nomachine:

that can implements a similar functionality, but it looks like the ability to use RDP as the communication protocol requires the paid version for the product, I guess again because of licensing

Why don’t people roll their own solution? Mostly because there’s no market for it, the companies that need it are willing to spend money on it and it is avery complex problem to tackle without involving Microsoft products (hence license costs) …

1 Like