Raspberry Pi: Why It matters, and why YOU should own one!

Okay, Raspberry Pi is awesome. We knew that already.

BUT why isn't the Arduino(and other equal systems) mentioned?

There are tons out there, some with even better hardware/price ratio than the Pi.

XBox 360 is a PPC-based platform.

The Playstation 3 althoug might be ARM, but not sure about that.

Arduino is a microcontroller.

The PS3 uses the Cell microprocessor, which is made up of one 3.2 GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and six accessible Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs).

That made is a very appealing (and powerful) system for purposes other than gaming too!

Yeah it really is!

But yeah, althoug the Arduino is a microcontroller, it can be put in this direction since there is so much similar functions.
And the Pi is just as much as a microcontroller as the Arduino is, it only has more components and features to act like a computer.

Sorry @Kai

I just rolled out of bed and started browsing RTW

I didn't notice the difference betweeen microcontroller and microprocessor :')

But atill; the PS3 is an awesome platform!

Yeah there are other Pi alternatives like the BeagleBone and BananaPi but Raspberry Pi can sort of be used as a blanket statement for them.

Like Google for search engines. 'Google it with Bing'.

No, PS3 was Cell, whatever that means

That's kinda the story there...

But yeah, I mean more like RBPi competitors, not variations.

I try to say that the RBPi isn't the only system out there, and it's not the first either.

It is just another system that has simplified it for easy programming. But that makes the thin really powerful and valuable because now "everyone" (everyone with mild or heavy interest in IT) can achieve programming a computer.

///

@Rudster read above, there are a few messages that explain this further on.

I saw comment, I replied. nuff said

said this thread.

1 Like

I couldn't let it die ;)

Just installed Pidora on my pi to have a box similar to rhel to mess with

I've a got a wordpress server that I play around with on my pi while its set to be the DMZ server from my router. Soooo much fun, think I'll get a basic FTP server up next.

I absolutely love mine. sadly I got a raspberry pi 1 right before the 2 was announced. It's still plenty of power for my needs. I remote in over SSH. Right now it runs my IRC bot 24/7 and it's amazing for that. I have it notify me I get highlighted by playing a notification over speakers. It checks the FTP server for my anime fansub group and tells them who has finished stuffs. Now I have lots of code on my github page of lots of (small) things I added. As soon as I'm no longer a NEET I may pick up one or two of the raspberry pi 2's.

Are you on the Tek Syndicate IRC?

I am working on Pi stuff myself at the moment. Trying to get the Raspberry Pi 2 to work with the 5" WaveShare XPT2046 Touchscreen.

This is going to be a pain because the drivers include an custom version of Raspbian which is not ideal. I've founds some threads to help me out. If anyone has any previous experience in this area, I'd love to hear from you. And if anyone wants I will post back my results.

I had no idea there was one. I'm on it now ^^b

@Kai your running a mumble server on the pi right?

OSMC media centre is already in the pipeline. All the goodness of Kodi with even greater support for the pi and a nicer look.
A similar skin by the same guy is also in the default Kodi skin repo if you like that look ( Conq ).

At the moment yeah moved it and my Quassel off my home server while I do some maintenance on it.