Raspberry Pi: Why It matters, and why YOU should own one!

Couldn't I use the R Pi 2 to play older games? I was looking at the minimum specs for Fallout 3 and Oblivion and at the very least it comes within margin of being able to handle them hardware wise. Considering it can run Windows 10 I would think it possible without running into architectural problems. I'm thinking of doing something cheap to expose my family to PC gaming. I have a brand new rig granted I can get Ethernet working. Eventually I'd like to see an Atom in the RPi.

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/raspberry-pi-why-it-matters-and-why-you-should-own-one/81541/18?u=kai

ARM processor, not x86.

Windows Mobile/Windows RT could therotically work on the hardware. Windows IoT (internet of things) is officially supporting the Pi 2 though but that's only for development so you don't get a desktop.

Those games won't run unless you can recompile them for ARM and since they are closed source that won't be happening.

Sorry for missing that.

on the bright side it is a European processor. ARM is what is left of Acorn computers.

The one in the Pi is fabbed by Broadcom in the US though.

it was in form of a joke ~ with rc shows / drone shows, basically I did this project for educational purposes - because it can be done... (without destroying/stealing any drone)

I already played with parrot ar 2 mounted with raspberry pi ~ and was able to take over my friend parrot drone. (I wouldn't crash them, some of drones can cost even over $1k)

It's all good then ,should have said that first place then .Lets move on :)

but it could be done :)

I love my Raspberry Pi 2. I plan to get two more. The 1st one I made into a Retropie to play all my old games and saves. It took a little work to port over my old saves but they work:

I get to relive memories.

2 Likes

Retropie is honestly the best thing. I love mine to bits.

You can only use it to play older games that have been ported to ARM. The Pi 2 doesn't run "normal" (normal as in x86) Windows 10, it runs a version Microsoft has compiled and put together for the Pi. You might could do it in an x86 emulator using a virtual install of Windows 7 or something, but I imagine it'd be SLUG slow. You'd be much better off to grab an Intel Compute Stick when those come out :P

If you want to do something cheap to expose your family to PC gaming, (don't shoot me here if you're an Intel guy/gal) try AMD's APUs. You can get decent performance out of a cheap APU, and you can always add a "real" GPU later and if it's a Radeon you can even put 'em in CrossFire. You could slap together an APU HTPC and put SteamOS on it. SteamOS is about as seamless of a Linux experience as you can get. I honestly think your typical idiot Mac fanboy could install it and get it working.

I had SteamOS running on an Intel Pentium Dual Core for a while. I only changed to Ubuntu because I wanted to be able to run things like Kodi and MAME as well as Steam. If you just want Steam Big Picture, save yourself the hassle and go SteamOS. It really is impressively easy.

Here's a handy Android app for monitoring your Raspberry Pi's!

You can OC the RPi? We need a thread for this.

Yeah it's one of the default options on Rasbian's first boot :P

Get heatsinks on it and maybe point a fan at it and you can push it a fair few megahertz.

No heatsinks. Just LN2 :)

Pulseway is another monitoring tool compatible with the Pi.

Also you can usb Webmin if I am not mistaken as a tool for checking on it via a web browser.

1 Like

Raspberry Pi proven to be stable when submerged in liquid nitrogen

3 Likes

this is a useful project for a Pi!

Quick random fact that im about 90% sure is true, The xbox 360 is powered by ARM

PowerPC I'm afraid. The Nintendo DS, 3DS and PlayStation Vita are powered by ARM chips though.

DS: One 67.028 MHz ARM946E-S and one 33.514 MHz ARM7TDMI
3DS: Dual-Core ARM11 MPCore, single-core ARM9
PS Vita: 2 GHz Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore

Really? I felt so sure it was arm