Raspberry Pi B 4 is out

will never happen. PCIe needs very high quality wiring, GPIO would not work 3 inches from the pin.

2 Likes

The SOC is almost guaranteed to have USB 2.0 and 3.0 built in. I donā€™t think there is an external USB controller.

They have a dedicated chip for USB though. Thatā€™s what attached to PCIE x1 lane. I could be mistaken though

[Edit]

ā€œUSB is provided via an external VLI controller, connected over a single PCI Express Gen 2 lane, and providing a total of 4Gbps of bandwidth, shared between the four portsā€

1 Like

Very disappointing. I would have gone with a better SOC.

That would probably increase the price. They are trying to cut corners to make it as cheap as it is. But I donā€™t know all of the details. Maybe there were other reason as to why they went with this soc.

2 Likes

Yeah, they are committed to keeping the base price at thirty-five bucks, and release new faster hardware when it can meet that pricepoint. Got to admire their dedication, no price inflation there.

5 Likes

They need a pi 4 ultra version

I donā€™t like that they replaced the full-size HDMI port with 2 micro HDMI ports. They are far more prone to breakage than a standard HDMI ports in my experience. (Iā€™ve owned 3 devices with micro HDMI and theyā€™ve all broke) I think most people will still only use a single display (if they use one at all). If I were in charge, I would have replaced one of the USB Type-A ports with a type-C and passed the second display through it. I also question the wisdom of trying to drive two displays with such a low-power device, but maybe the new SoC really is that much beefier. I guess weā€™ll see once some early reviewers look at it.

1 Like

Dual microHDMI does seem strange at first. But, think of some of the possible fun projects:

• Dual screen signage
  • Clamshell dual screen Pi tablet
  • Battleship game over one pi with two screens
2 Likes

Dual screen personal computer. Honestly if it werenā€™t for X86/Windows specific software I need, I could easily switch to RPI. In few more years maybe weā€™ll see exposed x4+ PCIE lanes and then external GPU on RPI might be a real thing.

Really fucking tempted to do this.

Does HDMI support MST?

I donā€™t think HDMI supports daisy chain. Unless MST is something different.

Multi Stream Transport

Kinda like daisy chain, but not really.

Iā€™m glad this came out. Iā€™m going to use it to run a media player for Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and Parsec for game streaming.

Might be nice to use something like this to make a low powered laptop alternative with game streaming focus on home networkā€¦maybe get a nice Bluetooth mech keyboard and wireless mouse. Since it can do h.265ā€¦

1 Like

It would be very cool if say Google released an Android, Android TV and/or ChromeOS image for it. It is more than powerful enough and makes sense as a Dev and testing platform for Apps.

There is a github Project for ChromiumOS on the Pi3+. That worked decently well. Iā€™m sure thereā€™ll be builds for the pi4 soon.

There are also several Lineage OS builds for the pi3. None official but they work decently well.

2 Likes

I would have been excited for this in the past, but with x86 options popping up I have less excitement for this as honestly I just havenā€™t had a good experience with things being ported over to ARM. There are some very purpose built projects for the Pi that are good, but outside of those use-cases I dread the thought of trying to find tutorials that apply to the ported version of the OS- for example web hosting.

Iā€™m surprised nobody has mentioned Vulkan yet. The new chip has a open source Vulkan driver in development. When using the GPU for compute intensive tasks the RPi would make quite the machine for computer vision and small AI based projects.

1 Like

I have ran LAMP and BAMP stacks on model 2s. And sometimes ran it with NGNIX . Seems to do alright for quick and dirty stuff.

I wouldnā€™t run it in a production environment but I wouldnā€™t do it with an x86 Dev board either.

1 Like

RPIs are actually very reliable, except for the MMC storage. If you have some sort of embedded or limited use that wonā€™t be constrained by their very poor performance, and plug in a USB drive, they do a great job.

2 Likes