Raspberry Pi B 4 is out

Right, but who needs dual display vs having the ubiquity and rigidity of HDMI? I guess I’m in the minority here, but when it comes to finding micro HDMI and dealing w/ how flimsy it is, I’d rather just have the 1 full size port.

2 Likes

I wonder if its viable to build a cluster of pies instead of a single rack server.

Some legos and 8 pies. You can have 32gb ram and 32arm cores. For $440 + Some switch + Legos to build a house for it. :rofl:

That seems not so bad, actually…
If you can figure out how to hot swap them in case of failure especially. You dont usually get yourself failovers in a home setup. I have my one ‘server’. If the mainboard dies its down entierly until I fix it.

2 Likes

I’d rather have 2 additional USB-C ports with displayport alternate mode. That’s what every monitor will be using in the future anyway, and the flexibility advantage is huge.

People on Reddit’s r/homelab have built RPi racks. I don’t know why, beyond the sheer joy of messing around, but you can certainly do it.

Anyway, RPis have no moving parts. What dies is the MMC storage. What they need is a M.2 slot.

1 Like

I think there are “vertical” HDMI ports, those would have solved the issue for you and the board designers.

Multi monitor is nice. More space to put projects/info on.

Yeah. Just too much of a trade-off for me in the way they implemented it. We’ll see how it plays out I guess.

I run mine headless…

1 Like

+1

I definitely wouldn’t sacrifice any of the capabilities for a different selection of ports. I’m sure if replacing the micro hdmi ports with usb c was feasible at the price point, they would have done it.

2 Likes

https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/micro-&-mini-hdmi-cables

They are pretty cheap cables as well.

I like the micro HDMI. I always thought plugging a big heavy full size HDMI in, 90 degrees from the Ethernet and USB connections was pretty inconvenient.

but hows its GPU? I havent found out which one it is… I know thats the weakest component

I would still take a dragon board over it for any dedicated box. Primarily because the Adreno which fun fact is a spin off of AMD’s radeon group (it was initially designed by ATI then given to qualcomm). You can get the dragonboard 410C stupid cheap second hand… and its what I did … I have 3… it blew the RPI3+ out of the water perf wise but it might be that the RPI4 is faster

Unless the video core got a ton better? then the pi4 is interesting… Ive got a few Odroid XU4’s laying around too so Ill play with the RPI4 when I can get one second hand or when someone breaks a part and I buy it stupid cheap and solder the part back on

Here I am wishing I didn’t go all in on the rock64 now.

4 Likes

Thats still faster than an RPI 4 lol

1 Like

Doesn’t appear to be. they clock the same, have the same memory, etc…

1 Like

IDK you have 6 cores dont you? or is it not the pro?

Also kek its clocked the same being an older released to market product… Id say its still superior … Plus idk ive yet to see how video core is… The mali might just be faster still

Rip <>

I downloaded the board mechanical drawings from the Raspberry Pi website.

The Pi4 board is the same overall size as previous models. The mounting holes are in the same position.

So, if you are using standoffs, then you should be fine.

But, the new board will not fit the old cases.

It has a number of new ports and some of the old ports have been moved.

For example, the Ethernet and 4USB ports are on the same edge. But, have been swapped in position.

4 Likes

And gigabit Ethernet. :heart_eyes: I’m stoked.

1 Like

PCIE lane(s). <3 I hope there is way to access those in the future. Through GPIO maybe or even by un-soldering USB host chip.

2 Likes

What they need is a M.2 socket, or even better two. That would let you install a real SSD or access the PCIe lanes to do whatever you want.

What if they made it so “the base” RPI only has m.2 slot, but the additional daughter board has a USB host controller. I am guessing there is another one directly on SOC itself.(or maybe that’s where they get USB 2.0)