“Radiative” Thermal Paste: Innovation or Gimmick?

How it started

I noticed on the forum, underneath various threads, an account named Maxwell Labs recommending their product. After a quick advertising warning I didn’t think about it much after that. Turns out, Wendell actually bought it LOL from the link they left on the forum.

He also bought a Thermalright CPU Plate for LGA-1700:

I made use of that too for testing.

Their Claim

They claim they have a breakthrough and amazing innovation to thermal paste. It’s called “radiative” cooling. I’ve heard of this before, but never in regard to something like thermal paste. I must admit, I’m skeptical.

Source: https://maxwell-labs.com

It piqued my interest, so I had to test it. Thank you to @GigaBusterEXE for helping me :smiley:

Test system

To make sure things were consistent between tests, we used the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to change the cTDP to the max of 253. The wattage and core clock speeds were the same for all 4 thermal pastes.

I installed the Thermalright plate into L1’s Intel system:

CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K
CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II
Motherboard: Asrock Taichi Carrara Z790

Lineup

We tested 4 thermal pastes:

For application, (I tried my best) to have equal portions of thermal paste squeezed down the center of the CPU. The inkpot isn’t a tube so I just had to do my best lol

Maxwell Labs WX-130

This is irrelevant to the results, but WOW they totally skimped out on the thermal paste. JEEZ. The tube was half empty! This is the 7g option from the page, they might’ve accidentally filled it with the 3.5g variant amount or something considering they were both in the listing.

Amount when I opened it:

Amount after 1 use:

Arctic MX-4

Thermalright TF7

Kingpin Cooling KPx

Testing

Each screenshot from HWiNFO64 was taken after a 10-minute Cinebench R23 multi-core benchmark. I chose this one because it is potent enough to stress all cores and have them work at roughly 100% the whole time.

Appearance & Viscosity

The Kingpin is a very light blue color and very thick. On the opposite side, the Maxwell was both the darkest and thinnest of the bunch. It might be hard to tell in the comparison picture, but the Arctic is a bit lighter than the Maxwell. The Thermalright and Arctic however looked almost identical in color and viscosity.

Results

#1 82 °C Kingpin Cooling KPx

#2 83 °C Thermalright TF7

#3 86 °C Arctic MX-4

#4 87 °C Maxwell Lab WX-170

Welp

It’s just normal thermal paste. Who would’ve guessed? xD Anticlimactic I know, I was ready to be a believer! I was wondering about their claim of radiative cooling, and it might truly be a thing, but it did not make a good impression in my testing. This leads me to believe it’s a little gimmicky. That’s not to say it’s bad; it was in a margin of error range to be as good as a well known brand. It’s just not…special. It’s not a miracle solution we’ve been missing out on.

The preverbal king of thermal paste in this test was Kingpin Cooling. Wendell has always preferred this brand, and no wonder! 5 C cooler than the Maxwell is just enough to be significant imo. It comes at a premium, but personally I think the difference is enough to spring for it. Plus, it’s quite a bit of thermal paste you get in the little ink pots. Wendell has had that one for quite a while.

At the end of the day, it’s all thermal paste. Get some, whatever it is it’ll work. Splurge for the Kingpin if you’re feeling fancy.

This was a fun little experiment!

24 Likes

I use graphite pads. Not because they work better than thermal paste, because they don’t, but because I’m a neat freak and knowing that there’s icky goo on the processor triggers me.

2 Likes

I understand! xD

1 Like

Speaking of messes…
I have a problem I feel like is a stereo type of “men”. I don’t typically read directions.

I learned another good RTFM lesson recently.

I forgot that Thermal grizzly syringe tubes have these like screw on tips. I took out a tube of Liquid Metal for a delid project. I started to apply it directly on the 400 dollar 7900x3d I had literally just taken out of the box and used for maybe 2 days.

The entire tube of Liquid Metal ended up alllllll over the brand new processor, all over the floor.

It took me hours. I needed an ultrasonic cleaner for the cpu, and I ruined god knows how many rags. Somehow it got on my socks like 4 days later and I wound up with actual foot shape grey spots all over my house

Thankfully Nothing was hurt, just my pride.

Always remember RTFM

Whoops

14 Likes

the real winner here is the retention frame

8 Likes

Wow! That sounds like such a hassle to clean up. Glad something wasn’t damaged though

1 Like

:laughing:

2 Likes

Pinned because good work with probably no video?

Radiative cooling is used extensively by the ISS, because the can’t conduct or convect in a vacuum. To do so, they need panels as large as their solar panels.

Does this thing have a large area they can radiate away heat to?

Really seems the same conduction method is in use, and the rest is bulderdash…

7 Likes

LOL that was a typo! I meant glad something WASNT damaged :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

So… did you guys use a geiger counter? Maybe its “radioactive” :joy:

3 Likes

Hahaha!

2 Likes

So Ish. Much science.

:yay:

3 Likes

meh, mea culpa.

:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

A likely story :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This sounded to good to be true, but I find it funny that you actually ran the tests. Good to know it was to good to be true, tough.

3 Likes

I read the title…and I’m like…
"Isn’t all thermal paste “radiative?”

I hate these companies…lol Also…what is “AI driven” about a thermal compound? Like, did they have a conversation with ChatGPT a few times while coming up with ideas?

This product seems like it works fine. But…the marketing…is just brutal.

I think Amber’s conclusion here is perfect…its like “oh cool someone came up with some new idea”
But nah…same same but different and her data confirms.

Radiative forcing - Wikipedia

Let’s all celebrate this guy instead. He’s nearly killed himself making YouTube videos for us. I’m not sure I’d call his product “THE WORLDS BEST” but its good enough.
Tech Ingredients | Thermal Products

2 Likes

You mean the same guy who nearly killed himself by using an exposed microwave generator in front of an aluminum garage door? Dude is seriously lucky that he didn’t boil his eyeballs. I’ve watched his content before, but this guy is way too wreckless for me to support his channel anymore.

6 Likes

Yes, and so are you.

:exploding_head:

7 Likes

That guy gives me free energy grifter vibes more than anyone else I’ve seen. He’s always claiming he’s made some kind of earth shattering breakthrough or discovery.

3 Likes