I want to switch between apps on my mac (Pixelmator Pro is mac only) and my linux PC instantly on my single 4k 240hz monitor. I want the switching to be instant (no noticeable delay between switching between one device to another) and I don’t want resolution nor refresh rate compromised (I don’t mind slight latency compromises). These are the options I looked at:
remote desktop software: 4k 240hz requires too much bandwidth and gets compromised over network connection speeds, not to mention high latency.
KVM switch hardware: I tried a few different ones and returned all of them, due to delays for switching devices. My screen would be black for up to a few seconds (same with just switching the inputs on the monitor itself).
I currently use a cheap one from ebay with DDM, which lets me switch my mice and keyboards instantly (it only switches USB HID devices instantly due to how it works).
Virtual machines: I would run a linux VM in a mac but macOS has its own hotkeys, and the menu bar shows when you move the cursor to the top, among other ways you notice the host OS. I use Linux much more.
Any other ideas? I’m currently using two monitors, one for each device but I don’t like turning my head from one monitor to another.
This feels like you’re asking for things without understanding the fundamentals of why things are the way they are.
This is expected and will always happen unless you emulate a monitor while the output isn’t actually active. When the monitor connects to any display out - whether it be physical or through any kind of switch - both devices perform a series of handshakes to negotiate capabilities and copy-protection compliance.
The only way around this as I said is monitor emulation but this is complicated and therefore not cheap.
Have you tried any of the Level1 KVMs? They are probably the best on the market for home use, but even they cannot do this instantly, except for thesethreehere. Notably, neither of the 3 support HDMI 2.2 or DP 2.0 for what you’re asking. If you’re using DSC it might work on DP 1.4 though.
But all of this was explained to you in your previous thread so I’m not sure why you’re asking for something you’ve been told isn’t actually possible.
I use an ultra wide with two inputs split screen (or two monitors, one device each) with Deskflow running on both. Shared keyboard, mouse and clipboard across Linux and Mac.
Does the monitor itself have some kvm function? This is a feature some monitors have. In theory sice its the monitor itself switching inputs it could be implemented to be quicker than with an external device that drops the connection and swaps the input.
I have not tried this, just some suggestion to try next
Their problem isn’t the KVM function. They tried a KVM because the monitor switching is also slow. And that’s because monitors don’t keep inactive inputs active, so they need to handshake when they switch.
That’s pretty much what they said they didn’t wanna do
Sunshine/Moonlight is fast enough for remote gaming and is just a window to hotkey exit and minimise. note you might need/find it easier to use a 4k fake-edid dongle than to generate a virtual display. I use this setup for a QHD ultrawide to a (gpu accel) VM but there’s no reasonable scenario I’d want 240hz from it. Maybe think about if you do.
Moonlight figures it needs 150mbps for 4k/240hz but it’s probably not factoring other optimistic assumptions (wifi) on top of that.
Your alternative might be homebrew and run on the mac - no switching.