Question regarding Linux rendering performance vs Windows

Hi, as the title says, is it inherent using Linux that the rendering performance in the UI isn’t as smooth as Windows, or is there anything I can try?

I use a nvidia 1080 and have tried a few distros alongside windows 10 in dual boot.

I don’t think it’s the same as the tearing issues solve with ForceCompositionPipeline but I have tried that without luck.

To explain the problem, for instance, scrolling in a web browser, text and pictures flickers (though at a very high rate) something that doesnt happen i windows, where its very smooth.

I have tried Gnome with Weiland, KDE Plasma, both with propitiatory drivers and open source.

Tried different refresh rates, opengl 3 & 2 and so fourth

Tried distros like Manjaro, Ubuntu, Kubuntu and deepin.

I really like deepin so I hope there is a solution.

screen tearing depends entirely on what compositor and window manager you’re using.

I know what this is. It’s a doubled up compositor issue. KWin allows you to turn KWin’s compositing off and strictly use FullCompositionPipeline if you uncheck “start compositor at startup”

Mutter and Cinnamon suffer from this issue because Cinnamon relies on Mutter compositing to keep the DE running. Kwin, you can shut off Kwin’s own compositing rendering.

And the switch to turn it on and off for Kwin is SHIFT + ALT + F12.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!
I’m interested in Linux deepin so I tried a new install and discovered that deepin-wm uses a lot of cpu so I guess it’s not gpu accelerated for either Nouveau or Nvidias properierty drivers.
So need some help getting that to work.

Also tried Manjaro deepin, that didn’t have that problem but had major screen tearing.
Used Manjaro software manager to auto switch to properierty Nvidia drivers but now it won’t boot.
Tried new install and manually installing drivers from the terminal with the same issue.

So need some help with that or deepin…

Getting source and building it to “install” it sometimes is flaky. That was my experience with the Fedora Negativio17 Nvidia repository. Getting the .run files is better in my experience.

1 Like

deepin is a weird one, not sure if it allows the user to use outside compositors

you can always try running

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

to see if forcing the composition pipeline works.

again, though, because it’s completely up to the compositor devs to support tear-free rendering on each API, you limit your choices to DEs that take the time to do so on nvidia.

IIRC, compiz-reloaded works well with the nv blobs, but again, I have no idea if deepin supports it as a backend.

Your other choices are to use a gnome 2 fork like XFCE or MATE with compiz, or apply the KDE Plasma fixes mentioned above.

There’s also compton, but that doesn’t work with full desktop environments very well.

Thanks again!!! :grinning:
I followed your tip and install the drivers via nvidias website and ran through a nice tutorial on how to build the drivers, I choose an option in the end that I dont need to rebuild again after I update the kernel in the future.

Manjaro deepin works quite okay, the 2d desktop is hardware accelerated.

I still think scrolling down webpages in browsers like Chromium and Firefox is worse than in Win10, there is some slight flickering from the rendering but I guess that’s maybe nothing to do about that…

One annoyance is that /etc/X11/xorg.conf works sort of, but my refresh rate settings and monitor positions are “wrong” when logging in.
Is this light display manager (lightdm) that takes over? If so, is there a way to adjust that?

try forcing off main thread compositing in firefox via about:config

search layers.acceleration.force-enabled and set it to on

Thanks! I got some things working, see my reply above.
Whats you assessment of the deeping flavor of Manjaro? I used Manjaro with KDE a few years ago I found it to be quite nice, pacman with some google help was quite fun to use.
Anyway I find the KDE Plasma desktop to be to cluttered, the deepin theme is very aesthetically pleasing :grinning:

I’d say avoid manjaro if you plan on using it long term or for anything more advanced than web browsing and editing text files. It breaks a lot of upstream configuration and defaults that make arch “just work” and unilaterally makes some controversial design decisions that will give you trouble down the line.

If your heart’s set on a rolling release with out of the box deepinDE support, maybe check out antergos. It’s also based on arch, though, so much of the interface will be familiar.

The Deepin desktop environment was created by the Chinese company that creates Deepin OS. Its its own thing written from scratch. It’s pretty cool.

Thanks! That actually made a difference when direct comparison to Chromium! Is there a similar chrome flag i can try in Chrome or Chromium?
(I have hardware acceleration on in the settings)

no idea on chromium, I only run it in a windows VM for code validation

Yep I agree :grinning:

Okay sounds promising, Arch-based with gui setup, the deepinDE is now Reborn OS, maybe that is something to look at.

For Manjaro:

• use sudo nvidia-settings to open settings window as root

• Save the X .conf file to /etc/X11/mhwd.d/

Manjaro mhwd can detect and add non-proprietary driver during Live boot if option selected. Open source driver is not used or installed.

Don’t see how Antergos gets an exception on that

Maybe I am missing something and Antergos will be the most popular Arch installer in a few years. But if i were looking at a Manjaro alternative, ArcoLinux looks very promising

manjaro breaks compatibility, misconfigures things OOTB, and changes upstream defaults. Antergos and most other’s don’t.

I do not know about Antergos, not looked at it yet

I have no idea how I managed to overcome ‘incompatible’ in Manjaro to support lots of other Linux distributions.

All the times i used to bang my head on the desk realising I had been in an ms logic loop over-complicating a very simple Linux thing. It wasn’t fun at the time but is necessary lesson to learn. And It does not matter now

I am content with the free choices I made, I hope you get that with Antergos too

Tried that, reboot, It didn’t work sadly, it is like before, i.e. I Manjaro loading my x settings (one monitor enabled @ 144hx, two disabled) then a paus with black screen and then what I would guess is the lightdm settings (all monitors enabled at different refresh rates)

I tried expanding on your suggestion, and saving to /etc/X11/mhwd.d/ and then deleting xorg.conf at /etc/X11/ but that didn’t work either and after a reboot the saving directory to xorg.conf in nvidia-settings is now blank.

no idea what you’re on about, I’m saying manjaro changes a lot more downstream than other arch spins, which can present problems if their changes aren’t well documented and you want to use the arch documentation.