Question regarding Linux rendering performance vs Windows

In nvidia-settings after you make your changes, hit apply, then Save to X Configuration file.

Instead of saving to /etc/X11/mhwd.d/ as @nikgnomic suggested, try saving xorg.conf to /etc/X11. The saving to /etc/X11 has to be done with root privileges

Thanks, but is what I originally did, see a few posts up

I also tried this from manjaro wiki: https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Configure_NVIDIA_(non-free)_settings_and_load_them_on_Startup

> 1. Open your terminal and enter the following command:
> 
> sudo nvidia-settings
> 
> 
> 2. Change resolution and refresh rate in 'X Server Display Configuration' tab.
> 
> 3. Hit the 'Save to X Configuration File' button and save to /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf
> 
> 4. Now enter the following command into the terminal to complete the process:
> 
> sudo mhwd-gpu --setmod nvidia --setxorg /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf

When you use the Save to X, hit Show Preview to see if your settings are being applied to the conf file that is being created.

@KrazyLurt suggest you look at this:

Screen Tearing on Manjaro Deepin [Nvidia]

There are more Deepin threads, but no other current ones I see about nvidia

again, how is this related to anything I said to you

here is the output of the preview:

nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings

nvidia-settings: version 396.45 (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-14) Fri Jul 13 02:09:40 PDT 2018

Section “ServerLayout”
Identifier “Layout0”
Screen 0 “Screen0” 0 0
InputDevice “Keyboard0” “CoreKeyboard”
InputDevice “Mouse0” “CorePointer”
Option “Xinerama” “0”
EndSection

Section “Files”
EndSection

Section “InputDevice”

# generated from default
Identifier     "Mouse0"
Driver         "mouse"
Option         "Protocol" "auto"
Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Section “InputDevice”

# generated from default
Identifier     "Keyboard0"
Driver         "kbd"

EndSection

Section “Monitor”

# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier     "Monitor0"
VendorName     "Unknown"
ModelName      "Acer XB271HU"
HorizSync       34.0 - 222.0
VertRefresh     30.0 - 144.0
Option         "DPMS"

EndSection

Section “Device”
Identifier “Device0”
Driver “nvidia”
VendorName “NVIDIA Corporation”
BoardName “GeForce GTX 1080”
EndSection

Section “Screen”
Identifier “Screen0”
Device “Device0”
Monitor “Monitor0”
DefaultDepth 24
Option “Stereo” “0”
Option “nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder” “DFP-5”
Option “metamodes” “DP-2: 2560x1440_144 +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}”
Option “SLI” “Off”
Option “MultiGPU” “Off”
Option “BaseMosaic” “off”
SubSection “Display”
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Thanks again, I read that thread and lots of others kinda related before I posted here.
And as you wrote earlier, the Live boot have an option at the boot options for non free drivers, I missed that.

But I have tried it now, made a backup of my Linux install incl my boot/efi partition in Windows and tried a new install with non free drivers. That went really well, drivers installed and worked, did a kernel & software update.

Didn’t manage to solve my last quivery of why my nvidia-settings are being overridden at boot, I guess I need to continue searching. It’s no major issue, more of an annoyance.

I did find this:

And right at the end

Try the load-config-only command

If it breaks display settings so that they look like startup state, settings file is incorrect. Use 2nd command to rewrite configfile when displays are set correctly

If display layout, stays ok, settings file is ok, but not loaded at user login

Yeah I read that somewhere else, and I tried it, eventhough it said that the /root/.nvidia-settings-rc only saves the things besides X server display config.
And those things works for mer, it stays intact after reboot.

as you see in the .nvidia-settings-rc file, there is no mention of refresh rate, window position as so fourth:

/root/.nvidia-settings-rc

Configuration file for nvidia-settings - the NVIDIA X Server Settings utility

Generated on Thu Aug 16 05:27:47 2018

ConfigProperties:

RcFileLocale = C
DisplayStatusBar = Yes
SliderTextEntries = Yes
IncludeDisplayNameInConfigFile = No
ShowQuitDialog = No
UpdateRulesOnProfileNameChange = Yes
Timer = PowerMizer_Monitor_(GPU_0),Yes,1000
Timer = Thermal_Monitor_(GPU_0),Yes,1000
Timer = Memory_Used_(GPU_0),Yes,3000

Attributes:

0/SyncToVBlank=1
0/LogAniso=0
0/FSAA=0
0/TextureClamping=1
0/FXAA=0
0/AllowFlipping=1
0/FSAAAppControlled=1
0/LogAnisoAppControlled=1
0/OpenGLImageSettings=1
0/FSAAAppEnhanced=0
0/AllowGSYNC=1
0/ShowGSYNCVisualIndicator=0
0/XVideoSyncToDisplayID=DP-2
[DPY:DVI-D-0]/Dithering=0
[DPY:DVI-D-0]/DitheringMode=0
[DPY:DVI-D-0]/DitheringDepth=0
[DPY:DVI-D-0]/ColorSpace=0
[DPY:DVI-D-0]/ColorRange=0
[DPY:DVI-D-0]/SynchronousPaletteUpdates=0
[DPY:HDMI-0]/Dithering=0
[DPY:HDMI-0]/DitheringMode=0
[DPY:HDMI-0]/DitheringDepth=0
[DPY:HDMI-0]/ColorSpace=0
[DPY:HDMI-0]/ColorRange=0
[DPY:HDMI-0]/SynchronousPaletteUpdates=0
[DPY:HDMI-1]/Dithering=0
[DPY:HDMI-1]/DitheringMode=0
[DPY:HDMI-1]/DitheringDepth=0
[DPY:HDMI-1]/ColorSpace=0
[DPY:HDMI-1]/ColorRange=0
[DPY:HDMI-1]/SynchronousPaletteUpdates=0
[DPY:DP-0]/Dithering=0
[DPY:DP-0]/DitheringMode=0
[DPY:DP-0]/DitheringDepth=0
[DPY:DP-0]/ColorSpace=0
[DPY:DP-0]/ColorRange=0
[DPY:DP-0]/SynchronousPaletteUpdates=0
[DPY:DP-1]/Dithering=0
[DPY:DP-1]/DitheringMode=0
[DPY:DP-1]/DitheringDepth=0
[DPY:DP-1]/ColorSpace=0
[DPY:DP-1]/ColorRange=0
[DPY:DP-1]/SynchronousPaletteUpdates=0
[DPY:DP-2]/RedBrightness=0.000000
[DPY:DP-2]/GreenBrightness=0.000000
[DPY:DP-2]/BlueBrightness=0.000000
[DPY:DP-2]/RedContrast=0.000000
[DPY:DP-2]/GreenContrast=0.000000
[DPY:DP-2]/BlueContrast=0.000000
[DPY:DP-2]/RedGamma=1.000000
[DPY:DP-2]/GreenGamma=1.000000
[DPY:DP-2]/BlueGamma=1.000000
[DPY:DP-2]/Dithering=0
[DPY:DP-2]/DitheringMode=0
[DPY:DP-2]/DitheringDepth=0
[DPY:DP-2]/DigitalVibrance=0
[DPY:DP-2]/ColorSpace=0
[DPY:DP-2]/ColorRange=0
[DPY:DP-2]/SynchronousPaletteUpdates=0
[DPY:DP-3]/Dithering=0
[DPY:DP-3]/DitheringMode=0
[DPY:DP-3]/DitheringDepth=0
[DPY:DP-3]/ColorSpace=0
[DPY:DP-3]/ColorRange=0
[DPY:DP-3]/SynchronousPaletteUpdates=0

Fwiw, I had noticeable tearing issues with my Radeon WX5100 until somewhere around kernel 4.16 during the massive amdgpu overhaul. Now the scrolling fluidity is indistinguishable from macOS or Windows.

I know this isn’t directly relevant to your situation with the nvidia card, but it does demonstrate that the issue may be with the gpu driver and not the wm or de.

How many monitors do you have? I thought you had multiple monitors when describing “monitor position” in a previous post. I see one monitor that is 1440p at 144hz. If you have more than one, then the settings aren’t being saved to the config file.

If you do only have one monitor than your settings are being saved since I see it’s set to 144hz. I’m wondering if it’s a Manjaro problem. Copying the settings to /etc/X11 then restarting X is standard practice. I don’t know what Manjaro is doing with what it states in their wiki.

Short answer, three, but I only need to have one active, the one you see in the output.
Long answer, have my computer hooked up a 27" 1440p 144hz Acer Predator monitor through DP, and a long active HDMI 2.0b cable to my 4k 55" HDR Oled TV, and a HDMI cable to my receiver that’s also is connected to the TV, so Linux (and windows) recognized this (as it should) as 3 output displays.

What I’m thinking is that Manjaro and/or deepin DE isn’t playing nice with xorg.conf, and it takes precedence, that’s why I see my xorg.conf settings load briefly when login then shortly the settings change.

Those settings are under deepins control panel where I can adjust window position and primary monitor, but not refresh rates.
I discovered yesterday “hidden” in the control panel a way to choose witch monitors to be active, extended, mirrored and so fourth.
So I disabled all but one in the control panel. Those changes stick as usual but since refresh rates isn’t an option, it default to 60hz even though my xorg.conf states 144hz.

And I think I know somewhat why that is. checking the xrand output (I think) I saw my running at 144hz but the preferred framerate was 60hz, so maybe that why. But I’m still looking for a way to have xorg.config to be the setting that sticks. Tried adding, option preferred framerate in xorg.config but it didn’t work.

I did a workaround yesterday by installing autorandr and create a profile to my liking, make that profile default, which i turn enables when login.
So my login I see my refresh go to 144, down to 60, then 144 again when the autorandr enables the profile.
I didn’t need a script in .config/autostart for autorandr to enable the profile, which I found weird because xrandr needs sh scripts for what I’ve read.

It does sound like the deepin DE is overriding the settings. Since deepin contol panel allows overriding of X settings, it should be saving them into a file somewhere in your home directory. It may be possible to manually edit the file to set the proper refresh rate since the GUI doesn’t give you the option.

Yeah I’ve looked, but I will look some more, as you said, it really should be somewhere. lightdm have a config but I’m not finding documentations on what exactly what every #'d options does. It’s not an super popular DE so the online documentation is rather limited. I’ll go more deeply at the Manjaro Forum, alt. post a query.