QNIX UHD4020R - New Korean Monitor - 40" UHD FreeSync Curved

Well apparently I lost my account Riddick so here is a new one. Shrug.

Anyway I'm SO VERY CLOSE to clicking buy on one of these monitors, found one for 627.93usd which seems like a good deal, any reason NOT to buy this monitor guys?

The PVA3 Led backing screen actually sounds/looks decent?

I also got my 4k action camera so eager to do a mini review video on the screen!

Ok order placed, if something goes wrong you will find me in the corner of the shower on the ground crying.... :-/

Oh look I got my main account back, cheers whoever sorted that out. Anyway MAYBE I get this monitor end of next week and can do a mini-review and video on YT about it. Hopefully I can avoid the dreaded crying in the shower scenario :)

PS. I was offered to get a pixel perfect screen for a extra ~70USD so I took it, they still need to confirm they have one so we will see. Looks like it may put a delay on receiving the screen as someone needs to check it over to find one that is all good.

I thought I should mention to people interested in this monitor or any korean monitor that there is quite a high percentage of screens with stuck or dead pixels (normally about 2 per screen).

I'm working with a ebay seller to try and get a good one but it may not happen and I will just need to decide on were I want my stuck pixels to be at :( . That is if I choose to buy this screen at all, given that ALL korean monitors tend to have these issues I probably won't have any luck unless I pay for a genuine LG monitor (they cost like 2k here)>.

Playwares (Korean) in depth review.

http://playwares.com/dpreview/51615360

Testing the UHD4020R for VA colour shift: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV8qGnlMUXc

The camera picks up how you see it with your eyes pretty well. The part in front of your eyes is bright, and everything else is dim. It's not noticeable on scenes with lots of different colours, but on a solid white or grey background it's pretty clear.

Default FreeSync range 48-61hz. I will report back when changing the EDID to see if I can expand the range southwards.

In Windows 8 colour management I had to bump gamma up a tiny amount, and turn Green down 2 notches, otherwise all default settings were good. There doesn't appear to be any colour uniformity problems, and if there are any dead pixels I haven't found them yet (bought from accessorieswhole on ebay. non-perfect pixel version, but nonetheless no dead pixels that I'm aware of)

EDIT: It's a BGR panel. I don't really understand how to use it, but the Response Time test here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php#response_time_gif has A, B, C, D all flashing red constantly. E onwards is not flashing.

2 Likes

I get my screen probably on Monday, mine will have 1 stuck pixel down the bottom quarter of screen and was the best they could find. No pixel perfect options atm but 1 stuck pixel isn't a major issue, I'll try and unstuck it but at the price it will be fine hopefully.

I will make a 4k YT video about the monitor with my new EZVIZ action camera, see how it goes.

VA panels are really not that bad. I notice the ghosting when dragging a web browser across the screen, but not when gaming at all. Philips 40" 4k brilliance monitor owner here.

I'm not sure what to expect from a PVA3 panel but guess I will find out on monday. It will haft to do until OLED becomes the norm I think...

UPDATE: I have it, and I'm not disappointed so far. I will try to post a video or some pictures tomorrow.

gmoney any reviews im waiting to get this monitor (other forums say that better input lag/response times) compared to wasabi UHD400, confirmed flicker free and freesync - only issues are backlight bleed and colors not great as a IPS panel

Waiting for Riddick's review as well before pulling the plug

I just got in the UHD400 and reviewed it today. Video in the editing queue.
Short version: Its a Samsung PVA panel (mine was labeled REAL4k0405VS in the OSD). It is good, not great. it would be "ok" for gaming, but not great. The panel quality is good. No suck/dead pixel that I could see. Acceptable backlight bleed, def. not severe.

200mm vesa mount. leight weight. overclockable! Freesync at 1080p worked really well! Surprisingly well! 50fps-70fps was fine. ~45fps may have been a bit iffy. Will need to do more testing.

RGB pixel arrangement, 4k, 40 inches, nice aluminum bezel.

Video soon.

3 Likes

Someone asked on YouTube, so pasting in my reply here:

do you recommend this monitor?

Yes, I don't regret getting it at all. It's a good monitor, and the brightness shift is much less annoying than I had expected it to be when I first got it. I prefer it to the Wasabi Mango UHD490 which is slightly too big and has an issue where content on the edge of the screen becomes invisible at certain angles. The QNIX is nicer and as far as I can tell is the best Korean 4k monitor available at the moment.

FWIW there is no noticeable backlight bleed on my unit, and I have it sat next to my IPS QNIX QX2710 and I could not say the colours are noticably better on the QX2710. They are about the same. This seems to be a good quality VA panel, generally.

traditionally these types of Korean monitors go up in price over time or vanish correct? Feeling like I need to buy soon, but funds...

So far with the 4k monitors, yes they have increased over price or vanished due to supply not meeting demand, and these models are based on batches of rejected monitors by Apple, LG, Samsung, etc, so so when those big manufacturers move on to new models I guess supply of particular panels dries up and so the Korean manufacturers stop making previously popular models and make new models. That's why you won't find any more Wasabi Mango UHD420's around anymore, and instead have the UHD400.

Models with low demand haven't really gone up in price. WM UHD550 is an example that didn't sell that well and has been around for more than a year at about the same price.

Looking forward to the review.

Riddick any review or thoughts so far?

Well I did have some videos but there is some clicking for something reason so not sure whats going on with my camera. Might do a voice over.

But so far thoughts is its a good screen, no MAJOR issues except if you have a straight white or black screen you can actually see a HALO of the back lighting going on, this doesn't seem to affect normal use however. I don't recall the HALO being present on my mango but maybe people can check and post up images?

I will post up images sometime later tonight (9am atm) showing what it all looks like. For the price I'm pretty happy, however I have 980ti's so can't test freesync or any EDID hack out until 490 comes out which will be my next card (assuming 12TFOP isn't a lie).

PS. I will sort out the video tonight, I just hope my camera audio isn't broken or something and it was just a setup/usage error.

EDIT: Found the issue with camera, the mic is flapping around in the breeze internally..... grrrrrr

I will just re-make a video showing the Monitor off with my 1+1 phone because my camera is going back to amazon for a refund :(

I documented that Halo in my video a few posts up. Link again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV8qGnlMUXc

I did the EDID freesync hack and was having major issues of the screen blacking out when I had it under 35, but 35-61hz is stable and working fine.

Ok I just did a crappy vid on my 1+1 phone at 4k30fps and will now upload that, I don't cover anything in great detail, consider this video just a quick preview/overview of the screen until I get a AMD card and perhaps some latency testers down the road.

VIDEO BELOW: (will take a FEW hours to upload)

1 Like