QNIX UHD4020R - New Korean Monitor - 40" UHD FreeSync Curved

This monitor is interesting. Priced at 649,000 won which is about $570 us. Ebay prices will likely be higher though. The image above comes from some Korean review site that you might wanna check out.

• 40 inch
  • Curved
  • FreeSync

Some more info:
- review with lots of pictures - link.
- listing with 649,000 price - link
- korean news site - link

6 Likes

I cannot for the life of me ever reccommend any Korean monitor to anyone other than my enemies.

1 Like

May I ask why? Wendell's reviews of the other monitors didnt seem to show any big flaws

1 Like

I see threads go up all the time about someone getting burnt and then the RMA process fails horribly.

Damn its good that i havent bought one yet. Thats actually really offputting

Guess I must be lucky then, my Qnix QX2710 has been up and running flawlessly for 2 years now. I just wish the UHD4020R wasnt curved....

1 Like

All these Korean monitors seem very tempting. But I just don't think I could trust it. Seems like what your saving in cash your loosing in build quality and panel life. I'm sure there are some exceptions though

You must like your enemies.

I have an Asus monitor that's getting ready to shit the bed and it has been less than a year. Brand name manufacturers are the worst offenders these days riding on past reputation to carry their cheap filth. I think this new monitor looks amazing personally, maybe @wendell could review one when things aren't on fire.

6 Likes

Yeah, that would be nice. What influences my buying decisions these days is not just the quality of the product, but also the return/RMA process. Even if the MTBF is fine for 99.99% of their product, I don't want to fall in that 0.01% and be stuck with a dead product. I wonder if they could start encorperating something about return policies in reviews nowadays. Eh, food for thought.

I also thought that the curved screen is a bad thing. However, some say that it actually helps to see everything in the far corners.

"The edges of the curved screen felt a lot more natural to look at, which is why I say you don't notice the curve. The screen just looks normal because the edges of the screen are no longer at such an extreme angle. It's subtle, but it makes a difference."

(source reddit)

1 Like

It very much depends in the setting they are used in.

These curved screens are only of benefit if you are sitting near the focal point of the curve. As in if you draw a line pointing straight out from each corner the point at which those line cross. If you are then the panel is always the same distance from your face and will add to the feeling that noting is warped or far away in the corners and make for a more evenly lit and coloured picture. You will only really get this if you are using a curved screen on a desk as a monitor when you sit fairly close to them.

People using them as far away living room screens are getting zero benefit and actually if you are far away worse picture quality due to the same curve. The further away you are the more you perceive things as looking flat, sitting far away the edges of the panel coming toward you means that the pixels near the edge would be viewed more from the side rather than straight on. This could potentially mean they are darker as the light is not shining directly at you and possibly warped colours for the same reason.

1 Like

Any more info about this monitor would be hugely appreciated. Any idea if it's RGB / BGR?

Seems to be Samsung PVA3, according to the only ebay listing. Claims to be flicker-free, but doesn't explicitly say "PWM-free", and as we saw with the UHD400 it's best not to assume. Confirmation either way from someone testing this would be great.

Also the freesync range would be nice to know.

Also very curious and want more info

+1 @wendell

2 Likes

I can't really support your comment.

In my case when I had an issue with my AMH399U the RMA process was flawless. They paid the shipping in each direction and I had a new screen within 10 days of reporting the fault.

I just had multiple VM consoles open, a few windows of google-fu open and a youtube vid last night, I am wanting some real-estate akin to @wendell 's review of his 40" 4k replacing his 'wall of' 2x2 1080P monitors. When is this thing going to hit ebay and amazon?

1 Like

It doesnt matter how shiity the warrant may be, this thing looks nice. Just wondering about the response time though... Is 8 ms good enough for gaming?

Looks good, 40" 4K Curver PVA3 (VA Panel) Monitor + 1 Year Warranty. If it was IPS panel (ah-ips), I would buy it right now.

1 Like

These appear to be available in the UK on eBay already

1 Like

I'm actually relieved it's not IPS. Looks to be a rehoused (without PWM) Samsung JU7500 from 2015 which has a pretty positive review on Rtings.

IPS post 2012 are absolute trash, no idea how anyone can tolerate the glow or grey blacks. If you look at the TV market (where all the panel technology is unlike the PC arena where we are stagnant), most everything uses some form of VA.

I can't wait to hear user reviews on these. Looks promising for those with AMD hardware. We are still a couple years away from HDR gaining traction with PC's so this is a nice stop gap.