QEMU/KVM - Not Capable of Installing WINDOWS 10/11

I keep getting this over and over again.

I give it topology; 2*2; 100GB space & 16 GB ram.
I have tried ‘Legacy Bios’, ‘UEFI x64’, ‘UEFI SECUREBOOT x64’. The windows manual stated it’s a fix within the system… Within Windows, that you do a secure boot for in order to find what’s wrong.

I have now tried it with bootleged windows ISO’s, and the original from Microsofts own page, both Win10 & Win11. Same results. So I was thinking, maybe it’s QEMU that’s at fault here.

I installed ArcoLinuxXL without a problem, and a bunch of other Linux distro’s. It’s a Windows only problem.

Here’s my system info;

I still get this problem. "/

This is not really helping either. I have no idea what’s going on, what have I done wrong? OR what have I not yet done?

Can you please post the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo?

And the qemu config you are running ?

Found a video that I’m going to see now.

EDIT;
That did not work for me. I’m met with the message that there’s only two options “host-passthrough” or “maximum”… Setting it to Maximum still gave me the same error code.

I’m also adding this Info, since I’m going to do a GPU-Passthrough as soon as I get the install running.

Saw that I also missed to add the actual CPU setting.

Can you paste the actual XML?

1 Like

The really irritating thing is that I have now had the same problem in Manjaro and ArcoLinux.

While Linux installs are done without any hassle; creating Windows VM’s is.

How do I fix this? Just chown and chmod the whole folder structure?

This is gonna be weird, but I smell zen 1 RAM shenanigans. It’s gonna sound weird, but remove half your RAM and try again.

Is it 2x16GB sticks or 4x8GB sticks? Zen 1 sucks at dual rank and quad sticks…

1 Like

Disable memory ballooning to start with ?

<memory unit="KiB">16777216</memory>
  <currentMemory unit="KiB">1048576</currentMemory>

It looks like you are trying to install windows with 1GB of ram … it’s not gonna like it …

1 Like

I did a “sudo chmod 1775 /var/lib/libvirt/images/win10.qcow2” and now it has access to the file… Strange that it wouldn’t have access to it’s own file…

… Woah, I have had 32 GB of ram in the computer for ages, and there hasn’t been any problems at all, this began with a newer kernel or later versions of Linux, I actually use at least 16 GB per session, I rather not go down that road.

I changed it to 16 GB.

Will do that.

Still the same result. It’s a CPU thing, and it started with newer versions of the Kernel. I get it my 1700X is getting old, but did it really have to get into this situation? It started noticing it this year. I haven’t had any problems with it before. Last year I had multiple Windows VM’s.

When does it fail? Does the installer even get to the initial welcome/partition choose?

Nobody said you had to leave it out, you’re just doing experiments. It has been fine forever with the address ranges that QEMU doesn’t use lol

I had the world of trouble with my 1600X with bluescreens everywhere when it had two sticks of RAM, had to half them to get them to work.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)