(QD-|W)OLED burn in

I have an LG C1 48", with no apparent burn-in. I’m not that heavy a user of it, though (at most four hours per day), and I’ve set KDE to turn on an lock screen after ten minutes of inactivity. I also try to avoid leaving windows in the snap zones when I don’t use them, to avoid burning in a big cross.
Wendell has had the same model TV for about as long as I have, but probably with a lot more on hours than mine, and I was curious to hear what his experience had been, so I asked him in the Q&A. He said it’s fine, just run the pixel cleaner every now and then.

Just bear in mind that this model of TV doesn’t have any displayports, only HDMI. And if you use an AMD GPU on Linux, that means no 4k120Hz without dropping to chroma 4:2:2, because the HDMI consortium are total gits. I have discovered that, while it doesn’t have any ports, it does still support the displayport protocol, so if you have a USB-C to HDMI cable and a USB-C port with DP passthrough enabled, it’ll work just fine, 4k120Hz10bpc4:4:4 etc. My motherboard has one of those but my GPU doesn’t, so I plug the screen into the iGPU and let the dGPU render into a framebuffer, like on a laptop. It’s not an ideal monitor, but it does give spectacular screen space for work, and superb picture quality/immersion for games. Elite Dangerous with a space mouse and a webcam head tracker is a spectacular experience.

2 Likes

yes I have no window in my back, that’s better

I mainly use Linux, which doesn’t support HDR anyway, apart from Libreelec.
I only run Windows as a VM for games and then I use HDR and yes HDR has a higher peak brightness, which then puts more strain on OLEDs.

1 Like

[quote=“Susanna, post:9, topic:199084”]
that means no 4k120Hz without dropping to chroma 4:2:2, because the HDMI consortium are total gits
[/quote].

no, I think it was a setting of the HDMI ports to get that running, but 10 bit 4:4:4 120Hz is not a problem, RGB and YCBCR.

1 Like

For those of use using a TV as a monitor something to keep in mind is that all TVs will convert the signal to 4:2:2 chroma for processing unless you’re using PC mode.

1 Like

I mean anything else than PC mode is unusable for Desktop use :wink:
I found it, I thing HDMI Deep Color was off per default and of course PC Mode ist the way to go.

1 Like

You missed the part where I specified on Linux. It was never an issue on windows.

HDMI consortium literally specified “not allowed to implement HDMI 2.1 in anything open source”. Utter. Gits.

3 Likes

ups sorry, you are right, those suckers should be burning in hell…
By pressing the green button with the two dots on the remote 7 times in a row, the TV shows the color bit depth.
YCBCR420 even at 100Hz, with 60Hz it is 444, damm it!

edit: looks like AMD is working on it

5 Likes

Sorry for not responding for quite some time. I had to get ready for an exam and was a bit busy.

That’s good to hear!

The only option for me would be the G9 OLED anyway. I’m not purchasing anything that is not a 32:9 screen.

Yeah makes sense, I would use the monitor first and foremost for gaming and I would naturally intend to turn HDR on.

1 Like

I assume @wendell uses it first and foremost for development and computer janitorial things, i.e. not content consumption but productivity.

1 Like

That’s my assumption as well, and in terms of burn-in it’s basically the worst case scenario. A bunch of static squares all day with very little motion. You can watch films or play video games all day and never get even a hint of burn-in, but OLED as a computer monitor is very quickly going to burn in taskbars and wallpapers and a big central cross.

3 Likes

Personally - and now contrary to the statement made in the other thread - I would probably end up using the display 3-4h for work, i.e. browser, burp, vscode, terminal, and 2h for gaming on a day. Naturally, I would not game every day on it but I would also not use it for work every day.

Thus, the risk of burn-in might be higher than if I was to use the monitor for content consumption alone. That being said, it is unlikely that I would have it set to very bright as I do not have any windows in my back.

Currently, it seems like most arguments against OLED come from people who have not been using OLEDs :smiley: However, I also do not want to end up worrying every single time time I use the screen.

Well, I do use an OLED TV as my monitor, and couldn’t be happier. I’m never going back to VA.

1 Like

I found the video where Wendell talks about using the CX for productivity:

He also mentions that he expects 2-3y lifetime out of the monitor which is definitely on the shorter end for my taste :frowning:

I have not found any follow-up on the CX but I did find an appearance of Wendell on LTT (back to you Steve^^):

There, he mentions that there are signs of burn-in on the screen and a redish circle in the middle but he still considers OLED the best for hist particular use case.

1 Like

A lot of time has passed since that video. I’m delightfully surprised that running the pixel cleaning more often than I used to, since I am nearing the end of my 3 year lifetime, and things are still fine, is very encouraging. If I get 5 years out of it I will be so happy. It looks like I’m on course to get5 years, maybe more.

6 Likes

how about a calibration comparison over time?.
basically compare the image accuracy/quality from then to now and again in 2 years…

i would assume that things like colour vibrance will be the first to fade.
but it would be nice to know for sure.

2 Likes

its likely detectable at this point, but I haven’t noticed it other than on full white screens you can tell the display is a little… inconsistent. going back and forth between a lot of different computers through the week… it just feels better sitting down at an oled display tho

4 Likes

Thx, that’s encouraging to hear. I might end up using the display roughly 2-3h a day for work (mo-fr) and also for gaming whenever I feel like it.

I assume this means you are also not using the display for productivity for 6-8h a (work)day?

I assume the reason you won’t go bacl are the ones you mentioned it the video. So, everything looks and feels just better.

8+hours/day on time.

1 Like

Are you including Saterday and sunday in your calculations, meaning your monitor is on eight hours a day.

I just wanted to update this thread and thank everyone for their respective input. While I am still undecided on which monitor I will end up purchasing, the OLED discussion here has helped my a lot. :slight_smile:

1 Like