[Q] Most profitable prog language?

Well, to answer the question precisely as worded then assembly. It’s one of the only languages that can effectively communicate with hardware at its lowest level. I don’t know of anything that could possibly best that.

Edit: and there is no way in hell C# will outlive C ;). C# is essentially a wrapper that builds off of the C standard. Aka, C is a prerequisite in order for C# to thrive. If the C standard doesn’t adapt then not much can be done in the way of C#.

Now, as for HTML… I don’t care what version it’s on. Languages adapt. C isn’t the same C it was a decade ago for instance. Programming standards change. HTML is another iteration. Nothing enticing.

JScrjot is almost laughable. It’s a rather simple programming language that even Forest Gump could figure out. Doesn’t make it bad by any means. But I don’t see it overtaking PHP any time soon. What you learn in school doesn’t often apply in the real world.

Now… As for finances. Work will overtake most of your life. Would you rather be miserable most of the time and get an occasional trip to the beach or be happy and love the work that you do ;).

Good luck finding that super language. But as I said… No language is future proof.

4 Likes

If you ask a developer in the industry, they will tell you it depends on the job, the company, the team and the task at hand.

A change in the last 10-20 years have seen the movement from developers being good at only a few languages to developers learning what is called, the full stack. This is a lose term but generally means being capable of developing with both, existing and well used languages like C++, C#, Java, HTML, SQL, XML, JSON and Python while also learning and being capable of developing with the wide variety of languages that are currently popular. Such as Node.js, RUST, React.js, Haskell and others.

There is no one language you should learn. You should learn what is applicable for the industry. But here is a rundown of languages.

C is the bread and butter. It’s the language most languages are built off.

C++ is C with OOP functionality. It’s the go to language for performance critical systems

C# is generally a windows only language, based off C so can call C libraries but is very different in how it runs. Runs in a virtual machine. Slower than C and C++ but for a lot of companies, fast enough and cheaper to use as developer hours are more expensive than extra hardware to run less efficient software.

Java is very similar to C#. Though more mature. The same that was said with C# can be said with Java. Some cases C# is faster, some cases Java is faster. The main differences is the number of API’s available for Java is a lot higher compared to C# due to how popular and older Java is. When it really comes down to it, the C# vs Java debate is really down to the organization and the individual. It’s just preference. Java can run outside of windows systems however.

Python, Like LUA, is a scripting language. It should never be used for building complex software. It’s a slow, interprited language. it can call native C code which is why it’s commonly used but the bulk of the logic happens in the native code, not Python.

Javascript, Used for making websites smart. Pushes code logic off the server and onto the users system. Lots of different implementations/API’s including React and Node. Learn whatever is popular. Currently it’s generally React.js that people are using as of 2018.

2 Likes

In terms of most profitable, I think that the Stack Overflow survey bears some fruit as to insight into what is best in that regard.

However the way that you seem to be couching the quesyion is you expect to learn one language/technology and be set. This isn’t really how the software industry works in my experience- there is always something new, shiny and trendy that’s profitable for a couple of years that dies back after a year or so.
The general “evergreen” languages have been mentioned here though: C/C++, PHP, Java, HTML/CSS/JS.

3 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes

In what language should someone become the master and could get a job position for 10 years…

In what language should John Doe become the master and could get a job position for 10 years…

Doesn’t matter who asks the question, the answer is still the answer no matter who asks it.

1 Like

Depends where you live, what industries there are etc. Here in California probably C and Java. Maybe even go or python if you are into that crowd. Data science is also hot rn ans they mostly use R and python but you have a pretty hardcore math degree to worry about first.

2 Likes

I think to be practical here you should learn ES6 Javascript and then learn React.js and Node.js. To be practical here most programming jobs revolve around making products for companies and most of those are web based. I am sure Rust would be cool or learning C or assembly for lower level systems but I just dont know if there are that many positions doing that sort of thing.

I think the emphasis is not learning languages but learning frameworks. Learning the ins and outs of React.js vs just plain javascript is miles apart. Nobody uses vanilla PHP but if you use it with Laravel its not too bad.

They tried that, its called CISC

I wanna hit you with a stick.

So what you need to do, IMO, is choose a base language, and learn the variants. C, to C++, which extends to C# and Objective C seperately, which Obj C goes to swift, which also goes to scala. Then just learn the base and the syntax oddities, choose what you wanna do, and optimize for that workflow.

But if you want a generic language? X86 assembly, C++, or Java. Theres also stuff like Clojure which takes java and roughs it up a bit. But thats up to you really.

Btw, I’m not a dev, but if I were to do anything java I’d want to use clojure. I hate the standard syntax in java because you have to do so much bs to make sure nothing breaks. Bunch of bs. Clojure rips a lot of that stuff out and makes the syntax less SPARCy.

4 Likes

Wanted to answer lotta questions but my draft just dissappeared so whatever. I think that there is always this question in the air. So @kewldude007 get outta here.

@blueish4 There are alot of technologies that have been around for long like the live tv graphics from 1980s that was used a long time.

@Zippy_Parmesian @reikoshea I don’t want to claim that I would have more experience with coding but I can say that I have had a longer and smaller learning curve than you. So I find the real language to begin with when getting into coding is Python, it is very similar to Java. But this is not the thread to talk about this.

@FaunCB we can settle this someday.

Your attitude is perfect to never get anywhere. When’ people who’ve been there, and hire kids like you are trying to give you advice, the “I know better than you” attitude will get you no where except in a room with a manager and HR doing your exit interview.

3 Likes

Man, I can’t debate with arrogance. Fuck these forums.

Sweety you are going in the wrong direction.

3 Likes

@Rex-Regum

If you want to be paid well, learn a few languages, but focus on learning how to solve problems. It’s not so much about your ability to understand syntax and the frameworks available in a certain language, but your ability to break a huge problem down into simple components. As far as languages go, I’d recommend picking up C, Ruby, Java, Golang and Python. They’re all solid languages and with that resume, you’ll be able to get your foot in the door.

As was mentioned before COBOL is extremely valuable because of scarcity and demand. That said, we don’t know when the demand will go away, so I wouldn’t put all your eggs in that basket.

Keep in mind that programmers are becoming more and more blue collar. Just because you make 150k in SF, doesn’t mean you’re that far above poverty. (in fact, that’s only 40k above poverty for some areas of SF)

The things that really make you bank are not programming, but managing a team. Go in, get some experience under your belt, take some leadership training and try to get promoted.

We can postulate about what will make you money all day, but nothing will help your career more than going out and getting experience.

6 Likes

Instead of concentrating on a single language, I think it’s more important to be able to understand concepts. Once you understand the algorithms and characteristics of something like Object Oriented Programming, it becomes quite easy to pick up another language which utilizes OOP. It usually just becomes a matter of syntax and a few language quirks.

If you limit yourself to a single programming language, you’re severely limiting your appeal to companies. Programming/CS/SE is in high demand, but is also a HIGHLY COMPETITIVE FIELD. By specializing in something like Python, sure you can reach a few companies. But by knowing a language like C as well, you appeal to a whole other market, such as embedded and OS. Knowing C++ opens up the door for a ton of other opportunities, like games and game engines. Java/Swift can get you into the door with mobile application programming. The list goes on. The more languages you try and learn, the better the possibility you have of even getting a job.

There is no one “best language”. Each language has its purpose, and it’s important to understand that. The field of programming is constantly changing and if you’re not ready to keep up with it, you shouldn’t be in this field.

5 Likes

@reikoshea @Zippy_Parmesian I think you got me wrong there, I wasn’t lifting me up on status but degrading my status by saying I have a longer learning curve than the most of the coders. And in reality I can already speak more than 7 languages 4 of them mere to perfect. And as I stated im just 18 years old, I can’t tell you much but maybe things that you have missed or ignored. I feel kinda bad that you got so angry, I may lack the social skills to understand what I wrote wrong but it might be the part " I do not want to claim that I have… than you"

@kewldude007 I don’t know what you smoked but that post before was pretty bad.

@SgtAwesomesauce I understand, should I improve on the languages I already have a hint on or should I gofor something else? And you should adapt your income rates to a more international standard, I can only guess what 150k means. 12k a month is more than a Sea Captain would earn.

@Some_Tech_Noob What about going full on special master on Rust and then applying for Firefox? Btw unity games use C#, android apps Java and HTML.

150K is one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Translate that to your native currency.

Lastly, as previously stated, there is no silver bullet. Being a software developer is more than just learning the language. What many have said here is solid advice.

K stands for kilos=thousands. I got that part but what 150k, like whole life time earnings? I guess you mean year but that is still huge, do you calculate any other things into it? In Europe we all have just monthly earnings and average in my country is 3250€ brutto

Government Theft aka Taxation.

Take home would probably be $70 to $120, depending on how good you are at the end of the year.

Annual salary.

In your county your annual salary would be about €39K then. Taking converting into account a software developer in CA would be making 3X your average salary)(roughly) .