Proper way to install steam/steam-play on fedora 28

Yes I am asking if anyone has it working correctly/well…

I didnt think I was supposed to install wine and vulkan directly. I thought it was included with steam. (someone confirm?)
So I am thinking I used the wrong repo, probably.

If i figure it out before anyone chimes in… I guess this will be a guide for others…

What repo did you use?

Fedora 28 has standalone repos for Steam, Nvidia, etc. already you just need to enable them in gnome-software.

3 Likes

i didnt know that… I used the rpmfusion repo nonfree version

Does that mean by enabling the one you are referring… that it will install everything i need when i install steam?

That should work. what does sudo dnf search steam --enablerepo=* say?

If all else fails, I think you can still use the negativo repo

sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo=http://negativo17.org/repos/fedora-steam.repo

rpm fusion has steam. once you add the rpm fusion repos you just need to dnf update dnf install steam

the included repos for steam and Nvidia with fedora are essentially ring fenced parts of rpm fusion for those particular packages and include everything needed for those particular packages.

that with what I did… but nothing for steam play worked until I manually installed wine and a few vulkan things

Steam play with wine support uses the steam beta client you need to enable that. it also doesn’t use wine it uses a steam specific proton client. installing wine will have no different unless you specifically tell steam to use it.

1 Like

thats odd then… I made another thread this past weekend about some errors for BFBC2 not launching and someone said to launch it from the terminal… so i did and saw the errors…

installed the packages i mentioned in that thread and then the game actually launched… but it was borked… but I could hear and see stuff.

Some games may need some extra libraries, but wouldn’t have an affect on wine for example. its rarer as time goes on. occasionally need 32bit libraries. usually you can tell from running steam in the terminal as you have.

You were still getting errors tho right in the terminal?

after it launched… i didnt check again

1 Like

OK. So after a fresh install following the guide from fedoramagzine…

Nothing but ( a linux native) dota 2 game will launch

The others shown are what i have tried except the one still downloading.

Star control will show as running but top shows it as defunct (zombie)

BFBC2 shows running for a few seconds but then doesnt after a few seconds when nothing launches

1 Like

From what everyone has said so far… i dont have to install wine or vulkan manually, correct?

When I try a different proton version most of the games have a download to update after steam restarts…

Have you run proton from the terminal? What’s the output?

under my home directory?

.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 3.7/proton

How did you do it the other day?

Let me find that link you shared the other day… brb

1 Like

here we are…
thats the 64bit wine

1 Like

heres the 3.7 proton beta wine version

Did you install the multilib?

1 Like