Project Snow Black

Hey...
Here's the deal. I'll be upgrading my CPU to Ryzen 5 hopefully 6 cores, depending on EU pricing I will be happy with quad core as well.

Premise:
Back in the day when I built my current system I was going for black and white color scheme. Failed spectacularly at that. The motherboard is brown, the GPU is yellow, there is no light other that the GPU LEDs...
Here is the thing. I have a bit more time to prepare, money to spend and an actual plan, compared to the last time around, where I just followed the flow...

Part's list:
MB: Asrock AB350 Pro4

RAM: Crucial Ballistics Tactical 8GB 2666MHz

COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 with replaced fans with Arctic F12 PWM

Why would I do such travesty to that great cooler?
Well I got only the heatsinc second hand for cheaper than a new Cooler Master 212 Evo. So I just bought two black and white fans... At the end of the day I spend money for 212 Evo and got Noctua D14...
GPU: Sapphire Toxic R9 270X

SSD: AData SP900 64GB

HDD: WD 1TB Blue + 500GB Black

PSU: Seasonic S12II 430W Bronze

CASE: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

LIGHT: ALSEYE CLS-100 dual RGB LED strip

FANS: 2xFractal Design SSR2 140mm

Ideas
1. I can't afford to buy new graphics card for this build. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford all parts I want at once. I can, however, buy a can of spray paint. So I will make this yellow 270X into a white 270X

2. I will also paint the front and roof grills of my Arc Midi R2

3. It's not officially supported by the manufacturer, but I will remove my optical drive cage and mount my hard drive cage on it's location. No pictures on the Internet about that, but the HDD cage can be mounted on any 120mm fan mount. I can screw it to the front panel if I wish to.

Videos
I will be making videos of each step of the build.
Waiting for the LED strip in about a week, and after 11-th of April I will determine how screwed my plan actually is, when I see the EU pricing of the Ryzen 5.

So... Any opinions and comments are welcome. Is it correct your say "are welcome" or "are welcomed"? Not really sure...

15 Likes

Videos! I look forward to this :P

3 Likes

Only thing I would question is the 430 watt psu. I would find that limiting and would be tempted to get a 550 to 750 just for beefier gpus in the future.

3 Likes

Here is the thing. I already own like everything. I will just buy the motherboard, cpu and ram.
I don't think more powerful gpu will be a problem though... RX480 uses about the same power as my R9 270X.

One more points I want to make clear:
I bought RGB LED strips instead of pure white, because the RGB have a controller. The one color ones does not. And I want at the very least a turn off switch.

I can't promise great quality, since I will be using my cellphone. But at least people will see my ugly face...

It will be nice to turn leds on and off. I don't know ? We do not have any info on power profiles. We have info on the 1700 65 watt. Maybe the R5 will be similar ?

1 Like

So long as he isn't planning on SLI/CF, 430W isn't gonna be an issue at all. I'm running a Nano on my 450W. You can drive some pretty strong cards with seemingly lackluster power supplies.

2 Likes

Depending on you skills with a soldering iron and dremel tool you can get a generic strip of leds (like a wheel of them) and a switch. And solder the strips together and to the switch and a molex/sata power connector from the switch to hook into the psu cable.

Idk the pricing of all that so it may be better for you to go with the pack of rgbs for all I know. But it's something to consider anyway.

1 Like

13,-€...
http://s.aliexpress.com/jeM7faMR

I can do that, I just prefer not to. I mean it's way more convenient to just get the black pcb controller and put it in the case and just know it will work.
Also I don't have the equipment, so first I need to buy the equipment, then the materials, etc etc...
Also having RGB will help me with another video idea I have...

1 Like

Yes videos! I like videos

Agree, course I have a 1000 watt one.... I don't even use that much

2 Likes

People really overestimate how much power their system actually consume.
Most graphics card reviews show full system power consumption in the range below 400W... I mean FX9590 and R9 295x2 will eat way more, but usually 400-450W is quite enough for most reasonable single GPU setups.
Even some tech tubers, that are supposed to know better still put 600W power supplies on systems, that barely eat 300W stressed.
IDK...

1 Like

This is because of the idea that a PSU runs most efficient at approximately 50% load. While this is true, in reality it's like 3% difference across the entire range of the PSU so the much higher cost of putting in a PSU that is double the actual wattage of the system just isn't justified imo.

2 Likes

Shugs ? I do it for expansion reasons. I already have it and one less thing to buy. Rarely do my systems stay the same. I almost always grab a bigger gpu later and more drives ect...

3 Likes

This started as A4 5300 apu with 4GB of DDR3 ram and an old 160GB WD hard drive...
Then I found cheap 760K second hand, then I found great deal on 270X... Then I got the Noctua...
But the original idea was an APU build...
So I know what you mean :)

Yes. It is not something I have ever regretted but I had regrets over not having any leeway to expand a build without purchasing a new psu.

1 Like

I wasnt a fan of the way the case looked but those mods really make it pop. It looks 1000x times better like that.

2 Likes

It does, doesn't it?
I will 100% paint the grills.
I am searching for a proper rubber strip I can use on the window to have similar effect. That requires a lot of searching in stores directly. And I will do that when I buy the spray paint.
But that is a secondary priority. First I want to get the CPU. I'm actually ready to ditch everything else in favor of a 6 core instead of quad core.

Same

Also my 1000 watt was on sale, idk I think its better to have more than less. 1000 is over kill but when its as much as a 650-750 why not.

Tbh I don't think getting under a 600 PSU is really all that useful for a modern system. Unless you are doing a trash build

1 Like

Guys, I already have the psu. I'm not selling it to buy a new one. It's a good power supply. It's more than enough for my needs and for my eventual planned 570 upgrade later down the line...
I have a nice counter argument, but I'd like to keep this thread about the build.
If you guys really want to talk about power supplies let's open a new general discussion thread and have this conversation there...
I understand your position and your points. I just don't think it's necessary in my case...

4 Likes

I think you should scrap it just because its not sleeved in black and white.

2 Likes

I'm considering extensions...
At least 24 pin, dual 6pin for GPU and may be some SATA cables in white...
But this is so far away in the future, that I didn't even mentioned it in the OP...
I want to do the basics first - the hardware and the mods, and then, if I have resources left, I may order extensions...