Project Snow Black

There will be a slight change of plans.
I will not be buying the Crucial ram. In the last let's say a week, the price of this memory have gone up with about 20€...
As a start I would just get 4GB of generic A-Data 2400ram... It will cost me like half of what I have planned for ram expenses, so it's OK. I'll wait for the ram prices to normalize and then I will consider changing it to Crucial or the newly discovered (I just noticed the pricing) Kingston Savage 2666 C14... It's like 1,-€ more expensive than the crucial now. It used to be 20,-€ price difference.

1 Like

Patiently awaiting any future vids showcasing your rig in process.

1 Like

Still waiting for R5 release.
It is entirely possible that I won't be able to build this thing because of financial "strength", so first I'm waiting to see the prices, then one by one...

No worries, take your time

1 Like

Big and I mean BIG changes...
Some stuff happened, so there will be no new parts. Can't afford them. Still I will make the mods I want to make. The LED strips are hopefully arriving tomorrow, the spray paint will be bought in about a week, so yeah... There will be some actual content in this thread soon-ish...

Did you buy the LED strips yet?
If not may I suggest a CableMod Widebeam LED kit (that I just bought last week).

The price is good = $20 - $30 depending on length and colors. I got 60cm RGB LEDs, but they just came out with RGB + White "hybrid" LED strips. The remote is a great feature, you don't need to install any software. The magnets really hold tight. The main reason I picked CableMod is they are super bright and adjustable. The widebeam feature is nice too, my case (even on dim) is well lit now. My previous cheapo lights got dim over time.

My only criticism is that a 64GB SSD is way too small. Hell . . . even a 128GB was kind of a pain to constantly try to keep it from overflowing. My 128GB SSD died quickly because it was always full.

1 Like

Yes, a month ago...

You may, but the brand is not imported anywhere in my country. And the thing i bought had free shipping, 2 LED strips, etc etc...
Basically i gave AliExprtess the entirety of 13Euro...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ALSEYE-CLS-100-1-pair-RGB-strip-with-controller-multicolor-computer-LED-waterproof-silicone-magnetic-case/32629501816.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.VJkUjZ

Honestly, i would have gone with 1 color only - white... But the single color ones did not have the on-off switch, and i wanted on-off switch.

I have it for the last 3 years and ...

I'm doing fine with it... I understand why some people consider it small, but i am completely fine with it. If i ever change it, i will get an M.2 whenever the time comes...

1 Like

Oh dear... OK, here we go...
So today... yesterday actually, the non RGB RGB strip has arrived. So i got home and started unboxing...

Keep in mind it traveled all the way from China to Bulgaria (Eastern Europe), so it basically arrived in perfect condition.
Inside the cardboard box there was a plastic bag with all parts necessary.

Basically a SATA power cable, 2 x RGB LED strips, 30cm each, and the controller with nice black PCB.

The LED strips are magnetic and stick up no problem...

The LEDs are extremely bright.

The controller have pre-programed 10 different colors and 3 modes (low, high, breathing) and OFF.

Now I own an Fractal Arc Midi R2. This case have a nice vertical PCI slot, where I wanted to mount the controller...

Now that thumbscrew... Screw that thumbscrew... I must remove my Noctua cooler, the back exhaust fan and the roof exhaust fan to be able to fit any of my 3 screwdrivers and unscrew that screw... Basically screw that screw.
I opted for the bottom horizontal PCI slot...

Now the difference, between LOW and HIGH is not that noticeable...

I have "mounted" the strips one on the roof, one on the floor...

A friend of mine asked my "Why do you use blue light?", to which I answered:
THIS is blue

This is white...

Tomorrow... today actually, i will try and make an actual video about the strip itself.
So far I am extremely happy. The white is fairly white, may be slight blue tint, but it's whiter than any other color, so i am considering it white.

EDIT: I got the strip from THIS LINK.

1 Like

Nice, I have been curious myself about difussing the LED light but using sand paper on the clear TPU (I only assume its TPU since its what it feels like.) would just make it scratched up.
I was thinking hitting it with a clear coat with a frosted finish, regular paint may crack and fray. I believe that plastidip does have a clear coat.

1 Like

We do have the review badge. I dont know if you got it yet. After posting the video beg for it.

1 Like

First off: what is

Second: why do you want to be

Third: why don't you just put it in a tube of plastic or something? Something like THIS:

What?

Well, I will most likely not be able to review anything more anytime soon again, so yeah... May be not...

TPU Thermoplastic polyurethane soft plastic material, its what most phone cases are made.
The LED strip might just be made of silicon though.

1 Like

Oooohhhhh... I see... Yeah, it's basically an LED strip inside a plastic tube, yes... It's marketed as a water-resistant, so yeah...

1 Like

There it is:

2 Likes

OK, uhm…
I’m necroing the thread…
I have just bought a CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 for 51Euros…
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-what-new-thing-you-acquired-recently/88085/7924?u=psycho_666&source_topic_id=114090
It have a nice visual style and it have universal AMD mount with white pump LEDs…
In a few days there will be some videos about it, that I will link in the thread…