Project Ryzen in a Box Mk II

Introduction
In 2018 and into 2019, I took inspiration from something @kewldude007 built inside a briefcase. The progression and result of that can be seen here.

That system is (still) alive and well, and a bit dusty.

Lessons learned in that project:

• The clothes-chest formfactor is difficult to move alone, especially with the side mounted handles

• Too many screws between components that may need to be serviced

• Keyboard & Mouse being inside the box is good

• 24" Monitor is on the large side, makes the computer section easy to lay out and build though

• The “front panel” looks cool, gets in the way when having keyboard and mouse in front of the box

• 20x20 aluminium profiles worked well

• Airflow is excellent

• The lid is anxiety inducing

The Plan
Copy this thing, with some tweaks:

I had the above image saved as “field workstation” for quiet some time. And there are some companies making similar products, none of which are gaming oriented though.

The monitor has to be in landscape format and not flat on its face (duh!), so… why not mount the PC-parts on the other side of some dividing wall?
Put two handles on the top. Compartment for keyboard and mouse below the monitor in a drawer, maybe? Job done!
The CPU and GPU (and maybe PSU) will get to breath directly through cutouts in the acrylic side panel.

Draft 1:

• Blue is the “static” part of the case including the monitor which is VESA-mounted to one of the alu-profiles.
  • Green is the PC, including GPU and PCIe-Riser cable
  • Pink is power
  • Orange is the “transport cover”, which is a big maybe right now
  • Yellow is some acrylic sheet (smoked acrylic?) to show off the goods :wink:

Questions, Issues, Considerations
Yes, I have a Steamdeck. I could just tear down the clothes-chest, set up the monitor and take the docking station with me for the next LAN or so.
HOWEVER, consider: This would be so cool to have.

I will take apart, as in, completely tear down, Version 1. The width will stay the same, probably, due to the monitor being what it is. So, cost saving there and on some of the aluminium profiles.
The GPU is also fine for 1080p gaming.
CPU, Mainboard, RAM, eh? 2nd Gen Ryzen to 7th, maybe? :smile:

Community Feedback
GPU mounting will be, difficult :upside_down_face:
I will overlook things, I will be dumb and blind. So, if you see something obvious, PLEASE, ask! You are saving me money with every question.

:phone:
@tjw @MilzyBee

7 Likes

Craft computing did a recent video on ‘cheap’ Chinese mainboards, linking to a shop on Aliexpress selling sets with mainboard, RAM and SSD, but no cooler. Here’s the shop link:

IMO reasonably priced. On the top end or reasonable for sure, but still a case can be made (s’cuse the pun :stuck_out_tongue: ) for consideration and perhaps even purchase.

Craft Computing review of said mainboard series:

HTH!

1 Like

Interesting for sure. Will look into those.

If you still have the old mobo/RAM then it seems like a Ryzen 5000 series would be a great price to performance upgrade. I saw that motherboard with soldered on CPU mentioned above on another channel and it looked interesting. I’ve considered a Ryzen laptop (either broken screen or just the mobo) for thinner projects, but since you already have a case set up for it and the dedicated GPU, might as well stick with that layout. I’m always interested in these kinds of projects. Good luck!

2 Likes

not ryzen but asrock has an intel board with a eDP connector you can connect a screen with a flex ribbon

other than that I’d utilize a case like the s4 mini to get a small form factor, the use a DP to eDP converter for a screen like wendell did for the iPad screen PC
3D print the place the screen will go hinged on the keyboard
https://nfc-systems.com/s4-mini

1 Like

looking forward to catching up on this later
thx for the ping!

ASrock Creator board has that internal full size DP

One of the B650 (I think) boards also has eDP on the back. Since I have the GPU anyway, I think I will just go that route again.

Minor Update

Due to my mothers computer having reached EOL by spontaneous mainboard failure, I get an excuse to upgrade from the R5 2600 to something else.

Parts idea:

Part Price Note
R5 7600x 230 6 cores were enough, so faster 6 cores are too
ASRock B650M-HDV 160 Drop-In replacement form factor wise
Kingston DDR5 2x16 G 110 38-38-38-29 @ 1.10V
Bequiet SFX-L 600W 110 Not making the ATX sized PSU mistake again
Corsair MP600 1TB 95 Is this thing any good?

Cooler wise, not sure if the Noctua NH-L12S can handle the 7600x.
GPU is still set on reusing the RX 580 .

1 Like

Mainboard and proc combo will not work. You either need an AM5 mainboard or a 5000 series CPU.

Hand had slipped right on the keyboard.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B650M-HDVM.2/index.asp

Much better choice, yes :wink:

1 Like

Minor Update 2
I lost some files in a freak accident involving swapping drive letters (FU WINDOWS!) and mirroring an empty directory on top of the full one. Backup was in progress at the time… :neutral_face:

Anyway, according to barely legible paper scribbles, I have placed the order for Aluminium frame parts.

So could the noctua cooler handle it?

1 Like

Update

This cryptic hand scribbling is the new case design.

In terms of “what goes where”, the front and side will look like so (artist impression):

And the components will be arranged like so:

Regarding component choices:

Part Note
Ryzen 7600x
ASRock B650M Pro RS Wifi
Kingston 2x 16Gig DDR5 Previous box had 8, yikes!
RX 7600
Corsair MP600 1TB Model
beQuiet SFX-L 600W Mostly to save 1 kg in weight
Component Count Reuse? Note
Samsung LS24F350… 1 :ballot_box_with_check: Monitor
BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 4 :ballot_box_with_check: fans
120mm Fan Grills 4 :ballot_box_with_check:
120mm Fan Grill 1 Black
92mm Fan Grill 2 Black
SMA-Extension 2 I want Wifi without the USB-Dongle
Alu-Frame-Bits Lots 1/2 Sadly, you can not saw things longer…
Ducky One 2 TKL 1
Fan Splitter 1
Fan Extension 2

Expect updates with pictures next weekend.

Sssstt, don’t tell anyone! :shushing_face:

Got it from Jayz2cents earlier this year. Not ordered yet, really tempted for one of my projects. (hint: explore the site, there could be something better suited for your project?)

2 Likes

$175 plus EU-VAT is 210€-ish, which is double what I paid for the SFX bequiet unit.
Deciding factor is weight, which the BeQuiet clocks in at 1160g.

Saving another 400g for spending another 200€ would be a no-brain choice in aviation or motorsport, not particularly worth it for me though.

1 Like

I got the 250 W version of that for my little passive 5750G-in-a-Streacom-FC10 system, I’m happy with it but I connected it to the main massive aluminum body of the case with a high-quality thermal pads.

Just by itself it gets too warm for my taste.

2 Likes

Update

It is a big one!

Okay, so, lots of aluminum!
This is the central frame. It will hold the monitor on one side and the computer on the other.

Side view. The plate-connections look very sexy in my opinion.

When it is filled with PC, this view would be full on to the mainboard and GPU.

This is as far as I got today. Frame complete. Next up is taking measurements and giving the “drawer” in the bottom some thoughts.

To be continued!

5 Likes

Update

More bits, important pieces

Ducky One2

Thermalpaste, new and slightly longer PCIe-extension, 4-port fan-hub and SMA extensions for the wifi-antennas.

And the all important computer bits!

3 Likes