[Project] Make the XPS 15 less on fire (Custom Heatsink Mod)

$ sudo undervolt --read
temperature target: -3 (97C)
core: -125.0 mV
cache: -125.0 mV
analogio: -49.8 mV
uncore: -99.61 mV
gpu: -75.2 mV

Of course, this is on the 8300h

1 Like

*Rossmann

Louis doesn’t upgrade/change CPU’s, GPU’s, or RAM anymore. He’s done it on and off for years, but often realizes that it’s very, very difficult to find reputable replacent parts, but even when he has found a good supplier, the risk is higher then the reward to evenly melt 1000+ solder balls.

Plus, you’d likely have to manually reprogram the BIOS to actually recognize and support the upgrade, which in itself is a bit… interesting, and risky in itself.

1 Like

Interesting.

I’m kinda pissed I have to take the 1050 with any other CPU I get, even though they have an iGPU…

Does not auto-switch undervolts and clocks automatically based on state (AC going to battery, vice versa). Needs to be manually set if you go from one or the other. ThrottleStop you can set your profiles for both and it will auto-switch appropriately. Unfortunately after a BIOS update on my laptop I cannot use ThrottleStop anymore, and I also can’t find my original BIOS version from a trustworthy source. So I just switch manually these days :T

Here’s a video of REWA upgrading the RAM on a Macbook Air, from 4GB to 8GB. At 7:20, the video states that the bios needs to be changed, but is never demonstrated (and questioned by some commentators).

For the MacBook Pro, it seems easier, and doesn’t require a BIOS modification (I assume) because some models of Macbook Pro do support 16GB of RAM.

For a BGA CPU (which the 8300H is) upgrade, it appears that you won’t actually need to change the BIOS at all, but that would have been the easy task of the whole upgrade anyway…

Anyway, if you want to personally perform the upgrade (or find some sketchy place that will do it for you), here’s the CPU, from an incredibly trustworthy seller /s

Copper is surprisingly expensive.

1 Like

lol 80% positive feedback

Looks like the poor guy is just starting out and one person of 6 left negative feedback for something out of his control.

Ah, okay.

That’s rough.

We’re getting off topic though.

2 Likes

Tried mounting with both 0.3mm and 0.5mm shims on the CPU today (just put a bit of paste between it and the plate), and they both had big difference in core temperature (more than 5°C at 70°C max).

Sanded down the 1x22x22mm shim from the original heatsink from 1mm to 0.75mm (sanded both of my index fingers nicely…). I’ll see if it works better than the 0.5mm one I have. I’ll keep sanding down this one, because it’ll be easier positioning it than the 15x15mm ones, which only just cover the die.

Aiming to only use a shim with the CPU, and have the GPU making direct contact with the plate.

If anyone can find the die+package height difference between an 8750H and 1050Ti Max-Q, that would be great. Can only find the height of the 8750H, myself.

2 Likes

You can’t measure the height difference yourself with some calipers and basic math? Would have thought you could?

Not really enough room to position the calipers properly.

Can you use the depth gage end of the calipers?

1 Like

If I had a GPU, I’d pull my XPS apart to check.

(I’m starting to regret buying the base model)

1 Like

Well, I had no idea you could do that with calipers… Thanks.

Looks like I’ll be checking that tomorrow.

@SgtAwesomesauce, no ragrets. I’m sure the base model probably has less issues with eGPUs?

The 1070 eGPU is pretty good, but occasionally my 2m cable doesn’t work and I have to fall back to the 45cm cable included with the unit, which doesn’t give me much space to position it. :confused:

That said, the drivers on both Windows and Linux are pretty much spot on. I don’t think AMD would be quite so solid on Linux though. If I had a GPU that fit I’d give it a go.

Noob! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Right, the GPU die sits about 0.5mm higher than the CPU. Hard to get an accurate measurement. I’m going to take some more material off the 22x22mm shim. I’ll take it down to about 0.60-0.55mm.

1 Like

What problem are you encountering?

The clamping screw’s pretty temperamental on my calipers. Struggled to get a good measurement.

Ah, I’d just not use it. use a voice recording or something if you can read the dial when you’ve got it on the GPU. and say the measurements out loud so you can refer back to it later.

Measure raw height of each component, then do the math.

1 Like