Problems with reinstalling Ubuntu via USB

Sure in the entirety

I have put mint and ubuntu on via usb several times. A bootable usb always only has one file on it: the .iso

that DD command just replaced the non-working, not a single iso series of folders with the exact same non-working, not a single iso series of folders

There’s no sane way to copy over PMs as far as I see, so I’ll just send an invite to everyone interested, starting with Mastic_Warrior

1 Like

tl;dr can’t boot from USB apparently :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, DD will write the disk image to disc. Think of burning a disk image to a disc.

It should be bootable if you have a UEFI system running in UEFI mode.

I have not installed Ubuntu in a while but they are based off of Debian. Debian ISOs can be dd to disk and contain the bootable portion in the ISO. Write the bits and go.

I mean it ‘should’?

Also there is NO WAY the issue is my laptop. The thumb won’t mount on the tower I am on now either

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills cause for as novice as I am in terminal, the 14 times I’ve installed Linux from USB the ONLY file on the usb has been a mounted .iso, no folders ‘with the iso in it’

I am reading the PMs now. Looks like you are having a time.

If the USB drive will not mount in the tower, than means that the drive’s partition table may be hosed. We should have added a sync command after using dd and before ejecting the drive.

Let me finish the PMs first and I will get back to you. I am not familiar with wubi.

1 Like

Chill, don’t worry. I’m just bad at explaining, that’s why we need people with better verbal skills chiming in here :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

a moderator should be able to merge the PM posts with the regular thread. i will also take a look at the PM too

1 Like

Need an invite or can look as is?

iirc they would need a invite to see it

I think that I understand now.

The Laptop is a re purposed Chromebook from HP. The partnered with Microsoft to get Windows on the thing, but it is a Chromebook internally.

You are using wubi because the machine does not use a real bios or uefi. The UEFI points to an internal boot loader that then loads the OS. You cannot boot from a normally bootable usb drive because the BIOS/UEFI does not recognize that.

wubi is what Canonical created to run Ubuntu from within MS Windows. You need wubi to make a “bootable USB disk” that actually points to an ISO on the USB disk. This then bootstraps the ISO and then everything is like a normal PC from there.

Now the question is how to get you there. We first need to recover the USB drive to look like a normal USB drive with a normal exfat partition.

I used wubi cause at that point I had no choice

But I researched wubi and found that it causes the EXACT issue that sucked my memory space up

I don’t doubt that, it came from Canonical.

Jokes aside, you have three needs right now.

1.) How to get the installer to boot with wubi
2.) How to do this installation without wubi
3.) How to do a clean install to reclaim your space.

1 Like

Right now this is what I have:

The laptop that needs a working version of Linux on it - can’t get online

The Dell tower PC that has Ubuntu on it but limited AF internet access through tethered phone

A friend’s laptop with Windows and internet access.

Plus the thumb

Okay,

If you could use the MS Windows system, that would be awesome. We need to reformat that USB drive. do that first and then we will use the Windows system to make a bootable ISO using Rufus.

1 Like

I think wubi should be cut out of this discussion.

The afforementioned Rufus or w/e the other ‘from windows’ if any ‘from windows’ is used.

I have mkusb and Unetbootin now too… But the issue is now down to the USB partitions, yes?