Problems with reinstalling Ubuntu via USB

You are correct!

We need to get the USB drive working like normal first.

Serious problem with the thumb

After FAT32 format there is: 3kb ā€˜used spaceā€™ and 2.25 mb 'free space

It is a 16G thumb

Did you do a quick format or a full format?

idk tbh Iā€™ll do full format?

Same result

Damn.

Okay. keep the USB drive plugged into the Windows machine.

Click the start button and type compmgmt.msc
This will open computer management. From there go to disk manager

Hold down the power button while typing with one hand? just phantom typing into the ether?

I am not sure what that ^ means!?

ā€¦Continuingā€¦
In Disk Manager You should see the USB drive there. Look to see if it says that There is unused space on the device. If so, then that means that we need to grow that partition.

Let me know what you see there.

I donā€™t do Windows so start button confused me.

But OK I am looking at it now. ā€œUnallocated spaceā€ is what I see. 1.43 and 13.15 sandwhiched around 2.25 mb allocated maybe?

Could you post a picture. I am not sure if the 13.15 is being used or not.

Itā€™s a tedious process of unplugging phone and shit to get picture, but yeah gimmie a few

I am sorry to ask you to do that. I just want to be sure that We are looking at the correct thing and that I give you the correct advice.

I am also at work and do not have access to all of my normal tools. Luckily I work for a Windows shop though

So thereā€™s that little 2.25 Mb in the middle ā€˜allocatedā€™

Thanks. Looks like wubi and dd did number on that drive.

Here is how to recover the space.
Right click on the little blue slice in the middle and select ā€œDelete Volumeā€.

Ok looks like thereā€™s 14.59 Unallocated now

Okay. Good.

No right click that unallocated space and select New Simple Volume. It will bring up a wizard

kk now what?

Click Next.

Then in the field labeled ā€œSimple volumen size in MBā€, enter in the max size.

What you are doing here is trying to manually partition the device to use the entirety of the free space.

Then Click next.

Example