Problem with gigabyte b550m aorus pro, random shutdowns

For good measure, which PSUs are you using?
I use a Corsair RM850

mmm same here RM850x and austrian_Oak an RM650x

I have used both Seasonic x650 Gold and my new PSU, a Super Flower Leadex III 750W

Mineā€™s an Enermax Modu 82+ 525w.

Just made an account. I have the same random shutdowns. Happens at moments when system is not loaded. Never shut down during benchmarks. B550M Aorus pro-p (no they didnā€™t fix it with this ā€˜new versionā€™).

G.Skill DDR4 Ripjaws 2x16GB 3600Mhz - [F4-3600C16D-32GVKC]
Ryzen 5800x
B550M Aorus PRO-P
RM650 Corsair PSU
Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Kingston A2000 nvme ssd

I have the exact same thing. Cuts off when nothing is running, and opening Chrome for example. (Not when benchmarking).

G.Skill DDR4 Ripjaws 2x16GB 3600Mhz - [F4-3600C16D-32GVKC]
Ryzen 5800x
B550M Aorus PRO-P
RM650 Corsair PSU
Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Kingston A2000 nvme ssd

This seems a different issueā€¦have you tried the dummy load option in the bios?

Same thing with me. Random shutdowns with no bluescreen. All at random times, sometimes browsing chrome, gaming, or simply just trying to login after post, it shutdown.

Tried all kind of bios from f10, f11j, f11k, to the newest f11n.
Tried multiple PSU.
Tested GPU on separate system.

Nothing works

Having those stuttering usb isnā€™t even bothering me anymore from the tilt of having shutting down.

All parts are brand new.
Trident z NEO 2x8g 3600Mhz 16C
Ryzen 5800x
B550M Aorus PRO
Seasonic 750W 80+Gold
Noctua NH-D15S

This motherboard is absolute trash.

B550M Aorus Pro
5800X (had the same issues with a 5600X previously)
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16
2070 Super
Fractal Ion+ 760w Platinum

The USB issues are bad enough but really just an annoyance. I went through hell trying to nail down the cause of the completely random shutdowns I would get while gaming and finally did an exchange at Micro Center convinced the individual board was bad. Now I see that itā€™s a flaw with all Gigabyte B550 boards, as the new board has the same exact hard shutdown/power-off issue.

It is honestly absurd that they sell these things to consumers and stores like Micro Center and Newegg continue to stock them as if they are functioning products.

My B550M Aorus Pro suddenly stopped powering my PCIe Wi-Fi/BT card through the internal USB header one day, and via a Reddit tip I was able to get it working again by disabling C-State Control in BIOS, though sometimes Iā€™ll have to shutdown and flip PSU on/off to get the board to power it again.

I donā€™t know how you screw up a consumer product so badly. Disgusting on Gigabyteā€™s part and it will be the last time I buy anything from them.

I take it most of you are past the return period for your board? For those of you who are I sympathize.

Today I installed a different board of a different model and have had no issues. I recommend getting a different model, at least, until this is explained or sorted out. Hopefully they can fix it with a BIOS update for those of you who do not have the luxury of getting something else.

I am planning on returning mine, and getting an ASUS TUF B550M PLUS. And never buying GIGABYTE again.
Which board did you end up getting things running smoothly and stable on?

Turning off ā€˜core boostā€™ did the trick for now for me. I am fine going with an underclocked cpu for now until a fixed driver.

I feel that it is unacceptable that a brand new CPU cannot run at stock speeds on a brand new motherboard.
How much performance did you lose from turning core boost off? Have you done a benchmark after turning off core boost and compared the scores?

After 8 days, this is the response I received from Gigabyte:

Dear customer,

Does the current model memory is on MB memory support QVL list on website link below?

www dot gigabyte dot com/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-doc

Due to massive memory types and brands we are not able to verify them all, list on website is for reference only, more compatible memory update list could be obtain by log on most major brand name memory manufacturesā€™ website, such as Kingston dot com , corsair dot com , ocz dot com , crucial dot com , gskill dot com, patriot dot com, Musshkin dot com . Using their Find compatible products / Memory Configurator / Memory finder, select Gigabyte manufacture, mother board model, validated memory list will show.

Mother board supports memory at 2133 mhz in base clock by defaults. Speed higher than 2667 mhz will consider as OC ( over clock). Overclocking will vary depending on cpu type, components configuration, and condition of system.

User may enable X.M.P to profile 1 in bios under M.I.T. advance memory settings to run system with 3600 mhz speed. If system not able to run with XMP in profile 1, you will need to try disable XMP, manually adjust memory multiplier. Play around with memory multiplier increment step by step higher to find out which level of OC system will runs most stable.

Best regards,

GIGABYTE technical support team.

This is a very disappointing canned response. My original inquiry was scrutinizing the stability of the BIOS, specifically surrounding F11* versions, where I mentioned all of the troubleshooting I have already done and the problems myself and others in this thread have experienced. In the support request, it included every specific part in my system configuration.

I notified them that I have returned their product to the vendor and I provided them a link to this thread. What a terrible user experience.

I purchased an MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI. Given the lack of stock for most parts, it was not my first choice but I am very happy overall so far. Not a single hint of the issues that I experienced with the B550M AORUS PRO.

Agreed. I saw a poster on Reddit say that adjusting the PBO EDC setting to 200a from 100a (for the 5800X) alleviated their shutdown issues.

I found this fix in the AMD forums.

Iā€™m assuming youā€™re using a 5000 series cpu. It turns out that they pull a lot more current when starting up than the 3000 series and the mobo is not expecting that. So it trips the ā€œdigital fuseā€ and shuts down the system.

This is what worked for me:

You need to go into the BIOS in the PBO settings and set the EDC to 200a. This is what keeps the system from tripping the ā€œfuse.ā€

Iā€™m new to Ryzen after upgrading from an i7 6700k, so no clue if the science around increasing the EDC limit checks out. But Iā€™m willing to try anything at this point. It does track with the fact that I tend to only experience hard power offs either just as my system is ramping into something (loading a game or right after finishing loading a map/level, immediately after firing up a benchmark, etc.)

I cant even try an rma, because in europe you have to contact the shop you bought the motherboard from, and the shop in question failed lol
i should contact directly gigabyteā€¦but there is not even an email address for europeā€¦so iā€™ll trash it or use it for a low budget low speed system.

at this point i have to consider myself ā€œluckyā€ because the system works at 3200 with if 1:1 at 1600ā€¦:\

you received a ā€œbetterā€ answer than mine:

"Dear customer,

Thank you for your answer.

The Ryzen 7 3800X memory spec is DDR4 3200.

https://www.amd.com/de/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-3800x

Try other memory or other processor.

Regards

GIGABYTE Team"

my memory was in qvl list, so they could not say much lol

ā€¦and i dont understand how is possible i can reach 3200 when others cant?
and is there actually someone with a b550m pro with a perfect working system at 3600?

Very interesting find! I think that could be a workaround for at least some of the shutdown problems. But I doubt it will fix all, because I have experienced several times that the shutdown wasnā€™t related to suddenly requiring more power. Sometimes it happens randomly in the middle of a youtube video, when nothing else is running or getting started.
Secondly, I do also think the USB connectivity is a real issue, since it is extremely annoying to lose control of the mouse/kb for a second, at random.
I think raising the EDC could help you, but it also just a clear indication that GIGABYTE has no clue what they are doing, and have no clue how to properly fix this board.
Iā€™d recommend returning the board, since a new board should not come with so many frustrations or faults.

Haha this will sound stupid, but I love the sleek all-black aesthetics of the Aorus Pro in my build and (ironically) the generous amount of USB 2 ports on the rear IO. At any given time, I have a mouse+keyboard, external USB HDD, Oculus Rift, and MIDI keyboard plugged in so I value having a lot of USB ports.

No other mATX B550 or X570 board is to my taste aesthetically while also having the rear IO that I want, so Iā€™m willing to spend a bit longer trying to make the Aorus Pro workable lol.