(Potential Project) Level1Techs BBS

also have you watched BBS the Documentary?

1 Like

Was going to watch that yesterday when I found it but ran out of awake.

2 Likes

make sure there's a "Lounge" thread

Well it isn't a thread :P its just a message board. Still learning and researching will post more later.

Also @MFZuul thats awesome.

2 Likes

lol, i mean in the catagory section. Once you get it up and running it'll be obvious :P

2 Likes

I'll be starting a single BBS progress thread as I build a machine and station for it.

2 Likes

cool

Lol, you could use a raspberry pi for this...

1 Like

3:< no. I like doing things the way they used to be done. Eventually I'll actually have a 486 DX2 on a phoneline for this built for dos machines.

... thing were better when they were worse? haha.

Looking forward to seeing this build :D

I like to run shit like it used to be. I don't like not having the hardware that something ran on. Its lazy to me if I don't put in the effort.

1 Like

:thumbsup

2 Likes

2 Likes

You know what I mean :P A BBS is more than the software.

1 Like

true, i agree with you

1 Like

OS/2 or DOS + Desqview.

mmmmmmno

I have to ask, how does one interface with a bbs? telnet??

Couple ways. Telnet, Dial-Up, and it can be set up as a website. Theres also ways to set up a BBS to interface with some apps that connect to stuff like that but I will be setting up for over telnet.

Real BBS's used serial terminal emulation, like VT100, ANSI, or ASCII. Most of the good boards used ANSI.
Your modem connected in, and was essentially an extension for a serial cable. Then the terminal protocol determined how things like text and characters were handled.