Potential PC building question

I intend to build a new PC when Ryzen 5000 is released since I have a buyer for my current PC. As a result, I would like to have your opinion on the parts I’ve picked:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZszmPV
As you can see, many parts are still missing but I intend to pick the following additionally:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: RTX 3080 or Big Navi

Now, I have not ordered anything so far, so everything is up for discussion but, I’d like to know which PSU you would recommend. I will probably pick 1kW PSU and it should either be gold or platinum certified.

Furthermore, I’m unsure which mainboard to pick. I’ve heard there won’t be a new chipset for Ryzen 5000, so most of the boards are already released. According to Buildzoid, MSI has the best boards currently (VRM + BIOS + RAM support), but here I would like to get other opinions. With that being said, ASUS intends to release the ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, so other new boards might be in the pipeline as well. (I do like the passive chipset cooling.)

Also, I will pick some kind of NVMe SSD, probably PCIe 4.0, any recommendations on there (1TB)?

Finally regarding the price: I’m willing to spend more if it is warranted; however, I also do not intend to burn money :smiley: I will probably use this PC first and foremost for gaming, but sometimes additional stuff runs in the background and I’ve gotten used to 32GB. (So, no 16GB).

In the PC I intend to sell is a Corsair RMi PSU which I could use and install a 700W PSU instead. Furthermore, I could also harvest a ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro and sell it without it. Both actions will reduce the price of the PC of course, but I also think that keeping these parts in there won’t increase the price enough in the first place.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I would be interested in your opinions.

EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850W - One of the best on the market, 850W is plenty.

Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) - This is a highly regarded X570 board, and should have everything you need.

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro - One of the best on the market, save your money and don’t get a PCIe 4.0 one.

1 Like

psu: Seasonic Focus Gold 850W.
There is also a 1000W version of this.

mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master.
Great board with a good feature set in regards,
to usb connectivitiy etc.

1 Like

I kinda disagree on that statement.
They might have good memory support,
but their click bios is not really the the smoothest bios to work with i think.
Although how good a bios actually is, really differs from update to update.
And it also depends on what you actually do in the bios ofc.
Also in terms of vrm, this again depends on the said board.
Not all Msi boards have a great vrm.
Infact many of their midrange boards have a pretty awfull vrm.

1 Like

Well ? If you built a Ryzen 3000 build, you should already be in good stead for an easy drop in upgrade.

1 Like

The only board from Msi that i trully like is the X570 MEG Creation.
However that board is really expensive, because of the Aquantia 10G nic.

Nothing wrong with buying Msi boards by the way.
The only x570 boards from Msi that i can trully recommend based on the vrm alone.

• Msi X570 Tomahawk.
  • Msi X570 MEG Unify.
  • Msi X570 MEG ACE.
  • Msi X570 MEG Creation.
1 Like

i don´t say that all their boards are crap.
They do have good boards with great vrm’s for the Ryzen 9 series.
However if i´m trully honnest, from a total image perspective,
taking all the aspects of the boards in regards to connectivity features and vrm implementations,
and of course prices.
They pretty much only have two reasonable boards in their collection.
Which are the X570 tomahawk and the X570 MEG Unify.
All the other boards they offer arent really worth looking at.
For the simple reason that there are boards with a better package for at similar of better prices. :slight_smile:

1 Like

MSI MEG Unify or AsRock Taichi. MSI has a back to school cashback campaign going on right now too.

2 Likes

The best X570 boards i could recommend several price ranges based on features and vrm.

Price range $350,- - $400,-.

• Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master.
    Pretty much the best board you could get around the $350,- ish price point.
    It has a great vrm, good amount of connectivity features and a good bios.

Price range $280,- - $300,- ish.

• Asrock X570 Taichi.
    A good board with a decent amount of connectivity features.
    Only downside is that it only comes with one 1Gbit intel lan port at this price point.
    The bios is basically fine, but could use some polish.
    The vrm of the Taichi is basically fine, but it’s not the most efficient one,
    because of the power stages they use on this particular board.
    Those 50A Sic634 Dr mos power stages are a little bit less efficient,
    and will run a bit hotter then some of the IR power stages that some other boards use in this price range.
    But the vrm of the Taichi is still totally fine even for Ryzen 9 cpu’s overclocked.

• Asus X570-E strix:
    Good board with a good amount of connectivity features like dual lan 1Gb intel + 2.5Gbit realtek.
    The vrm is great 6+2 phases with doubled up components on the vcore vrm rail.
    IR3555 highend 60A power stages.
    Bios is also pretty good.

• Msi X570 MEG Unify:
    A good board from Msi, with a good vrm 6+2 phases doubled to 12+2.
    With the same IR3555 power stages.
    Only downside with this board in my opinion is the rear io.
    And the realtek lan chip.

Price range $200,- to $250,-.

• Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro wifi.
  • Msi X570 Tomahawk.
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite: <-- Not the best option for memory overclocking!

I could make a list of B550 as well ¨if¨ preferred.
However good B550 boards with a decent enough vrm for Ryzen 9 cpu’s,
pretty much start around the $180ish price mark.
And at that point, you might very well just consider a decent x570 board instead.
But that is just my two cents. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regarding motherboard, a higher end B550 for $150-$250 should not be discounted as well, less PCIe 4.0 lanes but otherwise high quality components and VRMs - Like the Aorus B550 Pro AC for $180 which has pretty much identical specs to the Aorus X570 Pro Wifi in most things…

1 Like

Any reasons for those PSUs in particular? My PSU knowledge is rather limited, which is why I’m asking. I’ve noticed Seasonic and EVGA being quite popular, just wanted to know why.

So I can basically use my old SSD. Any other opinions on that?

Both weren’t really on my radar, thanks for the input :slight_smile:

My better RAM support statement is based on a GamersNexus (or AHOC?) video where it was mentioned that many non-configurable subtimings are configured better (i.e. tighter) on MSI boards more often than not.

I don’t really intend to buy a mid-range board anyway.

Well, I haven’t built a Ryzen 3000 build…

Yeah the creation does look nice, I’m toying with the idea of purchasing it. However, the question is if the Gigabyte’s Master would also satisfy my needs.
Thanks for the VRM list below :slight_smile:

Probably won’t be an ASRock board this time around, because the QVL support of my current board was rather limited :frowning:

Any opinion on the ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero here? Or is it too soon to make any assumptions?

Edit: What do you think of the CLC AIO? According to GN it is the best CLC out there, but it only has three years warranty. The Kraken x73 has five years, but is also a bit more pricey.

Yeah certain B550 boards are pretty well equiped,
some are even better equiped than the entry level x570 boards in terms of connectivity features.
However if you wanne do specific stuff like virtualization with pci-e passtrough.
Then it’s just better to skip the entire B550 lineup.

1 Like

Because Seasonic is one of the best psu manufacturer in the world pretty much.
They also provide the internal boards for other highend brands to.
The Focus Gold series are not their top of the line series.
But just a step below that,
still they are good psu´s and offer great value for money.
Platinum psu’s in my opinion aren´t really worth it for most people home use really.

I wouldn’t argue that indeed.
The higherend Msi boards are pretty good.
How well a certain memory kit will work out with a said board,
is always a matter of luck basically.
But indeed the ram support on their highend boards is pretty good.
As long as you also get a good cpu that is haha.

Really a matter of preferences.
Both boards are great, but of course the Msi X570 Prestige Creation just offers a bit more like the 10G Aquantia nic and 1Gb intel nic and a ton of usb ports.
it only has two m.2 slots…
But it does come with a m.2 / pci-e expension card so yeah.
Only real downside of this board, no bios flashback functionality or dual bios.

The Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master is also a great board,
but that only comes with with a 1Gb intel nic and a 2.5 realtek.
And a bit less usb ports i believe.

So yeah basically just depends on what you trully need.
Both great boards.

1 Like

Agreed, these days the only two valid reasons to go X570 over B550 is if you either need the IOMMU groups, or you absolutely need the PCIe 4.0 lanes and can’t afford a Threadripper system. The B550 is just enough for GPU and USB passthrough to a single VM, but even then it’s not exactly a smooth journey.

B550 is in all other respects equal or in some cases better (no loud chipset fan) than the X570 boards at the same price tiers. At a $150-$250 budget B550 is pretty much the way to go IMO, but higher budget than that and X570 is great value. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, I haven’t known that before.

Yeah, that’s a pity, I would really like a board with both features. Especially since when purchasing a X570 board there is no guarantee the board has the version which supports Ryzen 5000.

1 Like

I agree, it’s a really weird choice from Msi not including a dual bios feature and flashback,
on a $400,- + board.
I really don’t get some of the design choices they make sometimes really.
Because the MEG Ace board which sits below the Creation does has bios flashback.

The Msi X570 MEG Ace is around the same price as the Gigabyte Aorus Master.
In terms of features it’s very similar to the Master and the vrm is also good.
The Master has two more usb2.0 ports at the back, and two more sata ports i believe out the top of my head…
But other then that they are very similar in terms of features.
To me personally the Master is just slightly better overall.
But yeah that would be mainly a matter of personal brand preference.
So if you don’t really need the 10Gbit nic, then the Msi MEG Ace or Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master are boards that i could definitely recommend.

Wendell did a review on the ACE, which might be interesting for you.

1 Like

Thanks, I will have a look at the video. MSI has a strange configuration for sure; even more so when considering their flagship mainboard has 10Gbit only as an add-in card… I mean, are they for real? :smiley:

In regards to the PSU: Any opinion regarding Corsair PSUs? In my region, Seasonic PSUs aren’t really in stock. EVGA is, but I’m also interested in opinions regarding Corsair.

Asrock also has the X570 Creator which also features the 10Gbit Aquantia nic and TB3.
But according to wendell’s review, this board does not have the most ideal iommu groupings.
But other then that it has a great vrm.

The Corsair linuep of psu’s are indeed a little bit expensive.
Their HX and AX series are the better psu’s in their lineup.
The other series in their line up i’m personally not really a huge fan off.

EVGA gold series psu’s are also generally good.

1 Like

Concerning this potential build now I’m wondering about RAM compatability. Leaked slides suggest the sweet sport for Ryzen 5000 is DDR4 4000 so I thought about getting this RAM kit:

However, this kit is on none of the board’s QVL list and G.Skill’s QVL list only mentions it together with Intel. So, is this kit a no-go? Or is it likely that it will end up on the QVL list or work as expected without any issues?

Additional question: Any input on which 120mm case fans are the best? I would need seven of those.

My definition of best: Best noise to temperature ratio

According to the video below the Scythe Kaze Flex and Silverstone AB120R belong to the best.